Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

CDK Platform outage impacts car sales

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-24, 11:14 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 960 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
With tractor feed paper? or plain?
Runs off a box of continuous length tractor feed paper.
Oh yeah!
Old 06-27-24, 12:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,695 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Kudos to your dealer for never throwing out that stock of blank forms.....
They probably found it in an old drawer lol

As far as redundancy, there just isnt any way to have totally redundant ways of doing everything.
Old 06-27-24, 04:31 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,343 Likes on 1,535 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Sure you can, have a contingency plan to use some other service and practice doing so so that if something happens you aren't totally frozen.
it's very expensive to have alternative systems 'just in case' and moreover, to actually practice doing so like you mentioned (disaster recovery [DR] drills).
even something as simple as email for a larger organization is no small feat to switch providers (especially the agony of passwords/authentication). fortunately, the big players (microsoft, google, amazon) have REALLY good security and IT teams, so even if there are outages, it's highly unlikely to be catastrophic. of course most companies now are dependent on multiple systems, whether connected or not, and generally only huge companies or ones with enormous assets at state do DR planning and testing. i've been involved in these drills. they're time consuming, expensive, and illuminating. and of course you're testing/planning for specific scenarios like power failure, flooding, a site down, communications problems, hackers, etc. but very few entities can plan for global nuclear war.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
As far as redundancy, there just isnt any way to have totally redundant ways of doing everything.
more succinctly put.

Originally Posted by Margate330
I still have my dot matrix printer just in case.
i started out working for commodore computers (pet, c64 or amiga anyone?), so i remember those. i've pretty much hated printers my whole career, but lasers definitely stepped things up.
Old 06-27-24, 05:35 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,176 Likes on 874 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
it's very expensive to have alternative systems 'just in case' and moreover, to actually practice doing so like you mentioned (disaster recovery [DR] drills).
even something as simple as email for a larger organization is no small feat to switch providers (especially the agony of passwords/authentication). fortunately, the big players (microsoft, google, amazon) have REALLY good security and IT teams, so even if there are outages, it's highly unlikely to be catastrophic. of course most companies now are dependent on multiple systems, whether connected or not, and generally only huge companies or ones with enormous assets at state do DR planning and testing. i've been involved in these drills. they're time consuming, expensive, and illuminating. and of course you're testing/planning for specific scenarios like power failure, flooding, a site down, communications problems, hackers, etc. but very few entities can plan for global nuclear war.

more succinctly put.

i started out working for commodore computers (pet, c64 or amiga anyone?), so i remember those. i've pretty much hated printers my whole career, but lasers definitely stepped things up.
Guess I have a strange way of looking at things, I normally have two backup methods for something going down. Like when my sump pump went I had a 2nd pump and a transfer pump on standby so flooding is practically impossible. Probably a result of my upbringing/parents both being from 3rd/2nd world countries and the emphasis on the fact that no one will come to help you lol!
Old 06-27-24, 05:49 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 93 Likes on 65 Posts

Maybe this was all a targeted attack by that user on here a couple months ago who was upset about the IS250 C mileage at that one Florida dealership not being updated.
Old 06-28-24, 05:48 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,343 Likes on 1,535 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Guess I have a strange way of looking at things, I normally have two backup methods for something going down. Like when my sump pump went I had a 2nd pump and a transfer pump on standby so flooding is practically impossible. Probably a result of my upbringing/parents both being from 3rd/2nd world countries and the emphasis on the fact that no one will come to help you lol!
it's great to plan to be ready for potential problems. but there's always limits. how prepared are you if you lose power or water for a month though?
Old 06-28-24, 05:51 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,695 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Its not as simple for an entire industry to have two operating platforms as it is for you to have a spare sump pump lol. They do have backups, my dealer is selling me a car they're just doing it the old fashioned way. I'm sure its easier at a luxury dealer because you have people who were around when it was done that way, if you have a dealer where nobody who works there is over 40...they don't remember...
Old 06-28-24, 06:12 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 282 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Its not as simple for an entire industry to have two operating platforms as it is for you to have a spare sump pump lol. They do have backups, my dealer is selling me a car they're just doing it the old fashioned way. I'm sure its easier at a luxury dealer because you have people who were around when it was done that way, if you have a dealer where nobody who works there is over 40...they don't remember...
Lol, yeah probably 10 years ago I was having breakfast downtown when the power went out and their payment system went down. The manager came out with an impressioning sled and carbonless charge slips. He was jokingly complaining that none of his 20-something servers even knew what the thing was, much less how to use it.

Of course, today even that wouldn't work, as credit cards aren't embossed anymore.
Old 06-28-24, 06:39 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Sonic and Penske, both public companies, filed their quarterly SEC reports a few days after CDK announced the attack, and both said that the system loss was negatively impacting business. While they said the could not yet determine if the effect was material, it must be fairly significant or they would not have even made a comment.

Also, CDK said yesterday......“We have successfully brought a small initial test group of dealers live on the Dealer Management System (DMS), and once validation is complete, we will begin phasing in other dealers,” the email says. “We are also actively working to bring live additional applications —including our Customer Relationship Management (CRM) and Service solutions — and our Customer Care channels. In the meantime, we have created a Dealer Resource Center with commonly used documents and forms to support their sales and service efforts. We understand and share the urgency for our customers to get back to business as usual, and we will continue providing updates as more information is available.”