Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The TRUE reason inexpensive vehicles are being dropped.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-24, 09:49 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
So not to labor the point and yes, I still agree with you striker, but with things like soundstage etc so much it is contingent upon things like careful setup and placement. Whether or not you toe-in the speakers, the degree of toe-in, placement relative to rear wall, dispersion and height of the tweeters relative to the listening position (we are able to more accurately place higher frequencies than lower frequencies) all make a difference. That’s all part of the hobby. We just need to be careful to not catch ourselves listening to the equipment rather than the music
Yes positioning is critical, room correction software tries to do the same but nothing beats just having a room that revolves around the speakers and you are free to manipulate everything in it to get the desired effect. Lots of people have movable stands with absorbent materials so you can adjust stuff for different music and tape marks on the ground to manipulate stuff further.

Is there someone near you who has VSA ultra series speakers? IF you do I recommend you listen, they do the scene recreation thing insanely well/it's their design goal. I always chase an end sound so I don't really care what brand things are etc but certain speakers concentrate on different things, ESLs are a great example of focusing on response and image while still being in the cheap sub 10k range.

Last edited by Striker223; 07-04-24 at 11:33 AM.
Old 07-04-24, 09:57 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 694 Likes on 436 Posts

I've not had the opportunity to listen to any VSA speakers - will try to check them out. I don't think my friend sells them, but will check. Thanks for the tip! And yes, good electrostatics can be very special.
Old 07-04-24, 12:56 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,458 Likes on 1,612 Posts

I still agree with you striker, but with things like soundstage etc so much it is contingent upon things like careful setup and placement.
i don't consider myself an audiophile, but wouldn't dolby atmos (and up/down firing speakers) be relevant to soundstage and where the sound appears to be coming from? (object based audio)

We just need to be careful to not catch ourselves listening to the equipment rather than the music
ha, i just came across this great quote:"Audiophiles don't use their equipment to listen to your music - they use your music to listen to their equipment."
- Alan Parsons

enjoy this guy (brit) and his videos too

Old 07-04-24, 03:18 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 694 Likes on 436 Posts

Yes, Atmos is absolutely relevant to the soundstage discussion but to work properly it requires multiple speakers and/or speakers with multiple drivers where the drivers can act as individual channels. It also needs specially recorded material or a lot of processing to simulate it from stereo material. Some audio purists don’t like to consider anything beyond two channel to be sufficiently audiophile and think the real goal is to achieve breadth and depth in the stereo domain. The right answer, of course, is to listen to what you like the way you like it!
Old 07-04-24, 09:16 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, Atmos is absolutely relevant to the soundstage discussion but to work properly it requires multiple speakers and/or speakers with multiple drivers where the drivers can act as individual channels. It also needs specially recorded material or a lot of processing to simulate it from stereo material. Some audio purists don’t like to consider anything beyond two channel to be sufficiently audiophile and think the real goal is to achieve breadth and depth in the stereo domain. The right answer, of course, is to listen to what you like the way you like it!
yeah stereo fanatics drive me as nuts as vinyl fanatics.

Old 07-05-24, 12:32 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i don't consider myself an audiophile, but wouldn't dolby atmos (and up/down firing speakers) be relevant to soundstage and where the sound appears to be coming from? (object based audio)

ha, i just came across this great quote:"Audiophiles don't use their equipment to listen to your music - they use your music to listen to their equipment."
- Alan Parsons

enjoy this guy (brit) and his videos too

https://youtu.be/AjP7B2QFB9E?si=meCDtADh_7MDvEm-
No it doesn't work nearly as well as a real pair of speakers. I have an AVR that has 7.1 for movies etc with the front height speakers and it's laughable vs just the two mains running since the satellite speakers have an extremely hard time meshing and forming a seamless soundscape, you can easily hear the "bumps and gaps" near where they are and it ruins all perception of depth and accuracy of a scene recreation. It's just way too hard to get them to mesh vs a a pair of $50k speakers that are meshed/setup from the get go
Old 07-05-24, 12:37 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
yeah stereo fanatics drive me as nuts as vinyl fanatics.

Vinyl is weird, one the one hand it's "pure" but on the other since it's true analogue it's an endless chase for little return etc etc. I have no interest in it since in order to beat lossless files it's insanely hard since you would need both a physical record better than the files and a player than can actually read it well enough and that's unlikely to happen when compared to the recording equipment used if the song in question was even halfway correctly recorded. But I guess when you have endless money a 150K record player makes sense?
Old 07-05-24, 05:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I think we're getting off topic with audios.
Old 07-05-24, 11:32 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Crappy Hyundai has got something for ya. $19,900
Old 07-05-24, 02:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill

Crappy Hyundai has got something for ya. $19,900
I haven't test-driven a Venue, and I can't guarantee that it won't have any engine problems. But, on looking at a couple of them in the showroom, they seem to be extremely well-built, with solid but simple and durable materials inside and out, and a surprisingly good "Thunk" and feel to the door-closings....particularly for the low price. It reminds me very much of what the first Toyota Corollas were like in the 1970s. This, in contrast to the generally loosening up of material-quality in some other recent Hyundai'Kia products, as the bean counters apply.
Old 07-05-24, 02:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

122HP I4 is pretty pathetic. But at least it’s not a 3 cylinder lol
Old 07-05-24, 05:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

And it has SNOW MODE! lol
Old 07-05-24, 06:33 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
And it has SNOW MODE! lol
If the opportunity presents itself. The automakers will offer it. Toyota still makes the Yaris and they also have a partnership with Mazda where they share the Mazda 2 hybrid or something like that. Right now it makes absolutely no sense to offer it because buyers are willing to pay more for higher priced cars
Old 07-05-24, 06:48 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
122HP I4 is pretty pathetic. But at least it’s not a 3 cylinder lol
My first car was a 1989 Pontiac Firebird with an anemic 2.8 V6 from the 80"s and it still had more power than that lol. Only car I've ever owned with less than 240 HP.
Old 07-05-24, 07:08 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker223
It's just way too hard to get them to mesh vs a a pair of $50k speakers that are meshed/setup from the get go
your stereo front speaker pair cost $50k?

Quick Reply: The TRUE reason inexpensive vehicles are being dropped.