Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Did I get ripped off at Lexus of Pembroke pines in Miami?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-24, 06:56 PM
nole850
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Did I get ripped off at Lexus of Pembroke pines in Miami?

Went in for a new set of front tires, the website estimate to real life estimate was off for a few bucks under $100 so I let it slide. But I was asked if I wanted an alignment and said yes if needed. Paid my bill and while waiting on the vehicle to be pulled up I reviewed my service paperwork and receipt and noticed they charged me for the alignment and no alignment results given. Went back to get the alignment results and they stated "no adjustments suggested"

I went back to the advisor to ask if they had before alignment results and said they don't keep those. I call bull**** but I'm asking the board if they had similar results. Is it wrong for me to question being charged for an alignment when the paperwork provided says no alignment needed
Old 07-08-24, 07:33 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,922 Likes on 1,980 Posts

I've never had an alignment done without receiving an alignment sheet - except one time. When that happened, I asked for the alignment sheet, and the advisor was able to print me a copy of it. I think he just figured I didn't want it or care about it. Also, I don't know how they generate the alignment print-out - maybe the techs stopped the process of doing the alignment prior to the step at which they would have printed it? Either way, you should be able to get that clarified. Are you concerned that no alignment check was performed?

Anyway, I've also never had an alignment with no adjustments needed. I usually go only if it's been a significant number of miles since my previous one or if I notice something is wrong. Do you think something was wrong with the alignment?

Old 07-08-24, 08:45 PM
Jakerin
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

They didn’t even check your alignment.

Old 07-09-24, 03:30 AM
Lead Lap

Received 794 Likes on 539 Posts

Never do an alignment unless your car is not steering straight or have uneven tire wear.

A new set of tires is not a trigger for alignment.

if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!
Old 07-09-24, 05:10 AM
Barncobob
Intermediate

Received 180 Likes on 115 Posts

ask for alignment printout or ur money back.
Old 07-09-24, 05:11 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,513 Likes on 1,652 Posts

Originally Posted by nole850
I went back to the advisor to ask if they had before alignment results and said they don't keep those. I call bull**** but I'm asking the board if they had similar results. Is it wrong for me to question being charged for an alignment when the paperwork provided says no alignment needed
if they can't provide evidence that they did it, then you shouldn't pay for it.
Old 07-09-24, 05:22 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Received 2,280 Likes on 1,049 Posts

Went in for a new set of front tires, the website estimate to real life estimate was off for a few bucks under $100 so I let it slide. But I was asked if I wanted an alignment and said yes if needed. Paid my bill and while waiting on the vehicle to be pulled up I reviewed my service paperwork and receipt and noticed they charged me for the alignment and no alignment results given. Went back to get the alignment results and they stated "no adjustments suggested"

Your first mistake was taking it to Lexus of Pembroke Pines. The Craig Zinn auto group (Pembroke Pines and North Miami) are the embodiment of the scum that is the dealership world. Make the extra drive and go to JM for service, or take it to Discount Tire (there's one in Weston I believe) for your tire needs.
Old 07-09-24, 05:59 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

I have found lots of shops don't give out alignment printouts anymore. I have had to ask the last couple times and those are shops that I trust.

Agreed you should always get an alignment printout, I have started asking for it when I book the alignment.

I doubt they charged you and didn't do it, would be no reason to...but I would tell them you want a printout and if they can't provide it I would ask for a refund.
Old 07-09-24, 08:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS

Agreed you should always get an alignment printout, I have started asking for it when I book the alignment.
Even a printout is not worth very much if the shop is too lazy or cheap to keep the alignment-machines calibrated or hire competent technicians. Same with the wheel-balancing machines.
Old 07-09-24, 09:37 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Even a printout is not worth very much if the shop is too lazy or cheap to keep the alignment-machines calibrated or hire competent technicians. Same with the wheel-balancing machines.
The alignment printout shows the values before and after the alignment, so you know the alignment is in spec.
Old 07-09-24, 10:05 AM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

I think this is the most important part. I have made this mistake in the past too. If you give them the option, they will find a way to make it happen. I think we'd all be better off if we told them to "give me a call before doing anything" other than the tire change.
Wouldn't be surprised if the advisor just put "perform alignment" on the work order.

Old 07-09-24, 11:10 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,030 Likes on 814 Posts

I worked at a tire franchise out of high school for a year.

​​​​​​I saw a lot of alignments done and a lot that didn't need it.

It was just as important back then as it is now to offer the customer the before and after alignment readings.

It's called accountability. Lol
Customer should never be put In a position to take someone's word on something they can't see.
Old 07-09-24, 12:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The alignment printout shows the values before and after the alignment, so you know the alignment is in spec.

You're missing the point. An uncalibrated machine will give a printout of what the machine says, but the machine itself will be off. It could say the alignment is in spec when in fact it is not. THAT is why it is so important to keep the machine calibrated.
Old 07-09-24, 12:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You're missing the point. An uncalibrated machine will give a printout of what the machine says, but the machine itself will be off. It could say the alignment is in spec when in fact it is not. THAT is why it is so important to keep the machine calibrated.
In all my years of owning cars and having alignments done I have never found that to be a problem
Old 07-10-24, 10:20 AM
jimbosr1
Pole Position

Received 170 Likes on 129 Posts

Back in the 80's I took my 85 camaro to Firestone to get tires rotated and a alignment done.I walked across the street to a fast food joint and I waited for something to happen with my car so after a hour and half I walked in the shop and the guy at the desk said you are all done.
I said to him see the fast food place over there? I said I have been there ever since I left, and my car didn't move so how do you figure I am all done?
Took my keys and never went back to a Firestone business again.

Last edited by jimbosr1; 07-10-24 at 11:46 AM.

Quick Reply: Did I get ripped off at Lexus of Pembroke pines in Miami?