Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Porsche to End Production of the Gas-Powered Cayman and Boxster in 2025

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-24, 09:52 AM
Tritonal
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Porsche to End Production of the Gas-Powered Cayman and Boxster in 2025

Not surprised with this news, we all knew it was coming... Looks like my dreams of ever owning a GT4RS are gone unless I buy used lol

After years of rumors suggesting that the end of the beloved gas-powered sports cars would soon be upon us, the final days of Porsche 718 production have finally arrived. With a storied legacy of smile-inducing exhaust notes, impeccable driver feedback, and right-sized proportions, it isn't a lack of popularity that is driving the ICE 718 Boxster and Cayman out of production. Instead, according to an interview with Porsche's production manager Albrecht Reimold in Automobilwoche, production will end by the middle of 2025 in the name of progress.

Apparently, Porsche is pressing forward with its all-electric replacement of the 718 generation models, a fact
we confirmed late last year. Reimold said that he has driven the all-electric replacement, and promises that Porsche fans won't be left without a properly fun car.

While U.S. Porsche customers have continued to enjoy the ability to purchase a new 718 Cayman or Boxster, European customers have been prematurely denied the chance. After a slew of new cybersecurity regulations hit the European market, Porsche was forced to retire the 718 Boxster and Cayman as well as the gasoline-powered Macan.

Notably, as the Macan EV is now available, the timeline for ICE Macan production is running thin, too. Reimold said Porsche will be committed to the Macan's all-electric successor by 2026, stating that the limited availability of parts for its gasoline versions is accelerating the model's demise. Even with nearly 27,000 Macan units sold last year in the States, Porsche is more concerned with the way forward.

"Volume alone is not a benchmark for us as a luxury manufacturer," Reimold said to Automobilwoche. The same can't necessarily be said for the 718 generation models, as a mere 4,500 units were delivered Stateside in 2023. Accounting for the second-least amount of unit sales in 2023 (only besting the Panamera), the 718 generation still had a successful year, with sales growing 30 percent year-over-year. That made the 718 the fastest-growing model line in 2023 — quitely likely as a result of its long-rumored demise. (If you're a prospective 718 buyer, now is probably your last shot to get on one of those long Porsche dealership waitlists.)

The jury is still out on what exactly the all-electric 718 successor will look and drive like, but if Porsche's initial run of electrified models is any indication, we're likely in for a ground-breaking driving experience. Allegedly set for launch next year, we'll be patiently waiting until then ... and trying to get as many opportunities as we can to drive the departing 982-generation cars.
Source
Old 07-09-24, 09:58 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,513 Likes on 1,652 Posts

no surprise. i bet the demographic overlap with porsche buyers and people who can have charging at home (even in fancy condos) is very high.

i bet a cayman ev is going to be amazing, and probably out before the tesla roadster 2 announced years ago.
Old 07-09-24, 11:13 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,030 Likes on 814 Posts

It's a sad day for Porsche.

Used prices will skyrocket as they will be highly collectible.

That's my guess.

They should've offered both EV and ice.
Old 07-09-24, 11:35 AM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Received 812 Likes on 566 Posts

That's a shame. I'm a big fan of the Cayman
Old 07-09-24, 12:11 PM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 311 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
They should've offered both EV and ice.
That was their plan--introduce the new EV models and continue selling the existing ICE ones alongside them. But European regulations (totally unrelated to emissions/fuel economy) changed and they would have to completely redesign all of the car's control systems to be compliant. They decided the investment was not worth it on the existing platform, and do not want to spend the considerably larger investment to create a new ICE platform.
Old 07-09-24, 02:14 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,922 Likes on 1,980 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
That's a shame. I'm a big fan of the Cayman
Same. If I got a Porsche, it'd probably be a Cayman. 911 is too expensive and not really more practical than a Cayman. You do get a flat-six as standard equipment in the 911, but a Cayman GTS 4.0 is basically the same price as a base 911 - even less if the 911 has common options.
Old 07-09-24, 02:31 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

If there is a product line in their portfolio that they would be willing to risk making this kind of change, I think this would have to be it. Only time will tell if this was the right move for them.
Old 07-09-24, 02:47 PM
KennyFSU
Instructor

Received 336 Likes on 213 Posts

So sad.

My mom had a '14 6-sp Boxster (which a semi totaled) and now has a 15' Cayman PDK and both handled so well.

Old 07-09-24, 05:20 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
no surprise. i bet the demographic overlap with porsche buyers and people who can have charging at home (even in fancy condos) is very high.

i bet a cayman ev is going to be amazing, and probably out before the tesla roadster 2 announced years ago.
Oh ye - Taycan has been such a disaster for Porsche why not ruin Macan and Boxster/Cayman as well 😂

Porsche has been huge disappointment lately.

BTW what is the joy in driving an EV sports car that makes no noise, doesn’t shift gears, obviously no manual. We know it will be bigger, heavier and way more expensive than the current models.
Old 07-09-24, 05:27 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
Same. If I got a Porsche, it'd probably be a Cayman. 911 is too expensive and not really more practical than a Cayman. You do get a flat-six as standard equipment in the 911, but a Cayman GTS 4.0 is basically the same price as a base 911 - even less if the 911 has common options.
I think right now the 991.2 911 (with the twin turbo flat 6) even the base cars are probably the best value for what you get. The one thing about Porsche vs other makes, you need to look at the how the models retain value. A used 911 will be more expensive initially but will probably depreciate less compared to a Cayman and will probably cost you the same $$ to own.
Old 07-09-24, 05:59 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 234 Likes on 196 Posts

Bullshyyyt.. They're gonna lose a lot of customers if so.
Old 07-09-24, 06:30 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 727 Likes on 455 Posts

Porsche sells three times as many 911s in the US as they do Boxster and Cayman combined. Wasn’t that long ago that I still had a 911 myself.

they know what they’re doing. If anything they are going to see an uptick.
Old 07-09-24, 06:51 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,513 Likes on 1,652 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Oh ye - Taycan has been such a disaster for Porsche why not ruin Macan and Boxster/Cayman as well 😂
911 sales last year:

taycan sales last year:

taycan = 50-80% of 911 sales by month, not too shabby.

BTW what is the joy in driving an EV sports car that makes no noise, doesn’t shift gears, obviously no manual.
maybe you should look at videos of ev's on the ring or pikes peak and tell me there's no joy.
Old 07-09-24, 07:23 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,030 Likes on 814 Posts

For a luxury car I can see an automatic or an EV with no gear shifting.

For a sports car, it must have a clutch of some kind and be driver engaging.

Other wise it's just a fast car that does all the driving for you aka NOT sporty. Lol
Old 07-09-24, 09:11 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Tritonal
Not surprised with this news, we all knew it was coming... Looks like my dreams of ever owning a GT4RS are gone unless I buy used lol
Thats one of my dream cars too, bummer. My guess is the used prices for them will go up to a point where I wouldn’t pay that much for one.

Quick Reply: Porsche to End Production of the Gas-Powered Cayman and Boxster in 2025