Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

More dead sedans: Goodbye Nissan Altima and Versa

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-24, 07:51 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 965 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by Carfan94
They should bring back the XTerra. That thing would be printing money right now…
You're probably right.
Put a good price on it and probably sell a lot.
Old 07-16-24, 07:54 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,204 Likes on 893 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, if you are going to make that statement, you probably would have to say the same thing about the Ford Bronco (not the Bronco Sport) and Jeep Wrangler. The XTerra was aimed at the same rock-crawling buyer as the other two are now.
Oh don't worry, there are already stereotypes associated with those two 100% lol!
Old 07-17-24, 07:50 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Well, if you are going to make that statement, you probably would have to say the same thing about the Ford Bronco (not the Bronco Sport) and Jeep Wrangler. The XTerra was aimed at the same rock-crawling buyer as the other two are now.
It was actually Nissan’s tagline in their commercials when the XTerra was new. I’m not stereotyping anyone.
Old 07-17-24, 08:31 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Xterra was much cheaper than those vehicles too which made them more accessible to younger people, who tend to be crazier lol
Old 07-17-24, 05:52 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree on the Xterra idea, you have to think that there's some thought to bringing it back within the corporate walls of Nissan. It really seems like a no brainer since the platform required to build it exists in the Frontier.
Old Yesterday, 07:48 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

altima and versa - only worthy as rental cars. won't be missed.
Old Yesterday, 09:02 AM
Carfan94
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
altima and versa - only worthy as rental cars. won't be missed.
Dont worry, they’ll be millions of used ones still in circulation to terrorize the roads for years to come.
Old Yesterday, 09:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

It's a real shame what has happened to Nissan in the last couple of decades. I can distinctly remember, back in the 1990s, how nice and well-built their vehicles were. I was driving a Mazda Protege at the time, which I also liked, but I was so impressed with the First-Generation 1993 Altima that I almost took one home when I test drove it. The First-Generation Sentra SE-R was a nice little pocket-rocket whose sales just exploded...at one Nissan dealership I was at, I saw the dealership deliver deliver three or four new SE-Rs in just a couple of hours. They seemed as well-built as the Toyotas and Hondas of the period.

The downward-path started, IMO, in the early 2000s when Carlos Ghosn and the bean-counters at Renault took over and started cheapening them almost overnight (Ghosn, of course, would go on to eventually become an internationally-wanted criminal and fugitive). Yes, one or two halo-products like the Skyline GT-R remained, but, in general, the brand simply became a bargain-basement product, although the low price of the Rogue and Rogue Sport have admittedly helped them to sell very well.
Old Yesterday, 07:37 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

The downward-path started, IMO, in the early 2000s when Carlos Ghosn and the bean-counters at Renault took over and started cheapening them almost overnight
i remember in the 2000s a friend got a silver altima and i had a silver lexus gs400. there was some similarities in looks but when i took a closer look at the altima, i felt bad for my friend... it was really incredible cheaply done.
Old Today, 07:25 AM
LH1
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 99 Posts

The downward-path started, IMO, in the early 2000s when Carlos Ghosn and the bean-counters at Renault took over and started cheapening them almost overnight
You're conveniently leaving out the fact Ghosn saved Nissan. They were on the verge of bankruptcy in 1999. Without his miraculous turnaround Nissan may not exist.

In the first year of the Nissan Revival Plan, Nissan's consolidated net profit after tax climbed to $2.7 billion for fiscal year 2000,[57] from a consolidated net loss of $6.46 billion in the previous year.[58] Twelve months into his three-year turnaround plan, Nissan had returned to profitability, and within three years it was one of the industry's most profitable auto makers, with operating margins consistently above 9%; more than twice the industry average.[59] The goals of the Nissan Revival Plan were all reached before 31 March 2002.[60]

Last edited by LH1; Today at 07:32 AM.
Old Today, 08:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LH1
You're conveniently leaving out the fact Ghosn saved Nissan. They were on the verge of bankruptcy in 1999. Without his miraculous turnaround Nissan may not exist.
First, I'm aware that he "saved" the company, at least on paper. Second, he did it (and enriched himself) through some questionable and even corrupt buisness practices. Third, I saw what happened to Nissan vehicles from about 2000 on....they took a big hit in a number of areas, but particularly bargain-basement materials and interiors. Fourth, he is wanted in both France and Japan (he snuck out of Japan by air in an ingenious escape plot)...but, as far as I know, continues to live in Lebanon without being extradited.
Old Today, 08:30 AM
LH1
Instructor

First, I'm aware that he "saved" the company, at least on paper.
Why is saved in quotes? It can't be debated. His turnaround was so good and fast it stunned the Japanese. It's been detailed to death in various books and articles. Ford approached him in 06 to do the same. They refused because Ghosn wanted to be Chairman and CEO of Ford.

I can't disagree on very cheap interiors in that era. My old 04 G35 had a very cheap interior. I still loved that car though.
Old Today, 10:39 AM
LH1
Instructor

As far as the future of Nissan goes, it's bleak. I could see them turning into Mitsubishi in a couple years.
Old Today, 10:42 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

All jokes aside, Nissan/Infinti were making some of if not the best cars in their entire history under Ghosn's reign during the 2000's. Even their lesser-loved vehicles like the M45 were still extremely competent and competitive (and very good-looking).

It's only during the 2010's that they started becoming the laughingstock today thanks to their aging and thoroughly mediocre product portfolio, which we also saw with Acura and Lexus to a lesser extent.
Old Today, 11:23 AM
LH1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Motorola
All jokes aside, Nissan/Infinti were making some of if not the best cars in their entire history under Ghosn's reign during the 2000's. Even their lesser-loved vehicles like the M45 were still extremely competent and competitive (and very good-looking).
Correct. They were offering compelling vehicles early in his tenure. I though that gen M45 looked and drove great.

Originally Posted by Motorola
only during the 2010's that they started becoming the laughingstock today thanks to their aging and thoroughly mediocre product portfolio, which we also saw with Acura and Lexus to a lesser extent.
Yea Infiniti started losing momentum big time after 2017. Sales are awful. Johan de Nysschen changing the lineup from the familiar G/M/FX etc to Q whatever was an idiotic move. He was a complete loser. He failed at Cadillac too.

Quick Reply: More dead sedans: Goodbye Nissan Altima and Versa