Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

More dead sedans: Goodbye Nissan Altima and Versa

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-24, 11:21 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Weird thread to be fearmongering about Chinese cars in. Cars built in China =/= Chinese brands. See how (not) well they're doing in Europe, people know the difference. No matter how weak Nissan may be, no Chinese brand will scratch them or any other OEM in the US. Not even US-based car startups besides Tesla have gained any significant market share.

The comparison with Japanese and Korean brands is flawed because it took them each around 3 decades before they were able to establish themselves once they set foot overseas.
Old 07-22-24, 11:53 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

^
You are completely wrong.
The Chinese will be very strong in EV space but not in ICE obviously.
I was very impressed by their cars that I checked out at least from fit / finish perspective.

Old 07-22-24, 12:04 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
^
You are completely wrong.
I was very impressed by their cars that I checked out at least from fit / finish perspective.
Wrong about what? Chinese EV's and cars are not doing well in Europe - that's a fact. It took the Koreans and Japanese each 30 years before they were accepted. It makes absolutely no difference whether they're EV or ICE, they have to compete against the entire automotive industry in the US. Tesla understood that and that is why they are at the top. The cars you picked are also luxury vehicles, which is the absolute worst strategy to pick to enter a new market when you're new and unestablished while demanding top dollar. Toyota took 30 years in the US before selling the LS, and did so at a literal bargain basement price.

You would sell 3,000 Nissan Altimas here before you can sell a single BYD.

Last edited by Motorola; 07-22-24 at 12:07 PM.
Old 07-22-24, 12:16 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 971 Likes on 775 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
Wrong about what? Chinese EV's and cars are not doing well in Europe - that's a fact. It took the Koreans and Japanese each 30 years before they were accepted...
I believe you are correct.

Especially when trying to enter the luxury market.
Not gonna happen is my guess in this. Lol
Old 07-22-24, 12:49 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Margate330
I believe you are correct.

Especially when trying to enter the luxury market.
Not gonna happen is my guess in this. Lol
It'll be like Vinfast all over again lol
Old 07-22-24, 08:20 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

By the way, Zeekr (sub-brand of Geely who owns Volvo/Polestar) just announced that they will go on sale in Mexico. Good luck getting anyone into these cars at those prices even before tariffs should they ever decide to cross the border.
According to a recent Weibo post from ZEEKR, the 001 and X models are now officially on sale to customers in Mexico. The shooting brake starts at an MSRP of 988,000 Mexican pesos ($54,850), while the X SUV starts at 799,000 Mexican pesos ($44,350).
Old 07-22-24, 08:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
‘I thought you would want a sedan built with American labour

I would prefer Unionized American labor, but, if I like a vehicle enough (like the Encore GX) I'll settle for overseas-production as long as it is done in plant that is unionized. And South Korea (which produces many small Buicks and Chevys) not only has plants that are unionized, but is our military and political ally.
Old 07-22-24, 08:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
^
The issue with Chinese vehicles is not their fit/finish but the labor conditions in the plants that produce them. That is an issue that the public is finally starting to understand.

The comparison of the growth/acceptance of the Chinese auto industry to that of the Japanese and Koreans before them is a completely bogus one....and irrelevant. Korean plants are unionized, and, while Japanese plants are not unionized as such, by long Japanese custom and tradition, they treat their employees with respect. And both Japan and South Korea are our military and political allies.
Old 07-22-24, 08:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

We may (?) be getting a little off-topic from the discontinuation of Nissan sedans.
Old 07-22-24, 10:38 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Yes, are we done talking about altimas and versas?
Old 07-23-24, 04:59 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,410 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
Wrong about what? Chinese EV's and cars are not doing well in Europe - that's a fact.
here's the real reason:

... new tariffs on individual manufactures range from 17.4% to 37.6%, which is on top of a 10% duty that was already in place for all electric cars imported from China.
https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cy99z53qypko

Old 07-23-24, 06:30 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,727 Likes on 1,954 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I would prefer Unionized American labor, but, if I like a vehicle enough (like the Encore GX) I'll settle for overseas-production as long as it is done in plant that is unionized. And South Korea (which produces many small Buicks and Chevys) not only has plants that are unionized, but is our military and political ally.
I can't wait until you decide you want a car built in China and then completely move your goalposts AGAIN and justify why that still lives up to your principles lol

"Well you see its okay because the workers in China need to be built up so that they will have the confidence to form a union or move to America! Yeah, thats it!"

The goalposts have blown through sedans and disliking crossovers, American labor, and they will blow through union labor too lol

Just admit it, your principles are not as important to you as the product you want. Most people are like that, myself included.
Old 07-23-24, 06:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I can't wait until you decide you want a car built in China and then completely move your goalposts AGAIN and justify why that still lives up to your principles
LOL. First, don't hold your breath too long....I don't want to read about you in the news. Second, just like you, I drive what my current needs, wants, and affordability dictate....NOT for the sake of moving any goal posts.

"Well you see its okay because the workers in China need to be built up so that they will have the confidence to form a union or move to America! Yeah, thats it!"
Hey, if the Chinese government ever allows unions in their auto industry (or other industries) and starts treating their workers with respect, more power to them. I will be the first to stop complaining.

Just admit it, your principles are not as important to you as the product you want. Most people are like that, myself included.
I buy what BOTH my desires AND principles dictate. Facts...End of case.
Old 07-23-24, 07:02 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 748 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Yes, are we done talking about altimas and versas?
I think we are. This one's closed