Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Looking for a new CUV

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-24, 09:43 AM
bowser
Pit Crew

Received 80 Likes on 51 Posts

Congrats! Our experience with the Hyundai dealer was pretty much the same as yours. 10 months with the Tucson and very happy with it. Make sure you activate/sign up BlueLink. Cheers!
Old 08-27-24, 12:38 PM
TheRas900
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Congrats, I think this is a great choice for a teen driver. Happy the experience was good also. You both will have good memories in those 50 hours, actually was the subject of my son's college essay he just wrote.

I will say you might want to call and get a price on their tire and wheel package. If reasonable, that might be a good product for a kid just learning how to parallel park.
Old 08-27-24, 07:14 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
Congrats!!
Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
Congrats but son may be more interested in the GTR or the plaid!!
Originally Posted by JDR76
Great choice! Congrats!
Originally Posted by SW17LS
Congrats!!!!
Thanks all, I drove it tonight and while it is really slow, the tech and features are great and I think it's a decent looking car.

Originally Posted by bowser
Congrats! Our experience with the Hyundai dealer was pretty much the same as yours. 10 months with the Tucson and very happy with it. Make sure you activate/sign up BlueLink. Cheers!
I was shocked how straight up the dealer was and after I left a review on Facebook I read some of the reviews and I wasn't an anomaly, there were other reviews that said the same thing about being honest and no up-selling in the finance department.

Originally Posted by TheRas900
Congrats, I think this is a great choice for a teen driver. Happy the experience was good also. You both will have good memories in those 50 hours, actually was the subject of my son's college essay he just wrote.

I will say you might want to call and get a price on their tire and wheel package. If reasonable, that might be a good product for a kid just learning how to parallel park.
Definitely will have memories in those 50 hours but not sure how good they will be but over time I'm sure I will laugh at any hiccups we have during those hours. I know a guy that does wheel repairs for most of the dealers around me and its 5 minutes from my house so it would just rather take my car directly to him at about $125 a wheel if necessary.
Old 08-27-24, 07:40 PM
TheRas900
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

A wheel guy is a good person to know! Enjoy the ride and experience!!
Old 08-29-24, 05:15 PM
Uaart1
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Striker223
Used RX350 is my vote. Better than all of those
This! I totally agree. Leasing usually has obscene annual mileage restrictions. Every teen or young person I know: both my daughters, has, or will rack up miles on their newfound ride. I shared in the expense of getting them a 2009 RX350 one owner, dealer maintained beauty,134k mi. No regrets. I helped my mid 20 something niece purchase a 2009 RX 350 also. Both Rx’s are safe, affordable, and with little maintenance needs. No worrying about going over the lease mileage ( what? 15,000 miles/year or $ .15-.20 / mile overage?!) I believe in safety and value over all else. You may not need a new car. Used 3rd gen, 6 cylinder timing chain 2gr-fe engines in Toyota and Lexus products are the only way to go…as long as there is no VVT start-up rattle, and the lower oil cooler line and the rear bank VVT oil cooler lines are the all metal versions.
Old 08-30-24, 08:30 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by Uaart1
This! I totally agree. Leasing usually has obscene annual mileage restrictions. Every teen or young person I know: both my daughters, has, or will rack up miles on their newfound ride. I shared in the expense of getting them a 2009 RX350 one owner, dealer maintained beauty,134k mi. No regrets. I helped my mid 20 something niece purchase a 2009 RX 350 also. Both Rx’s are safe, affordable, and with little maintenance needs. No worrying about going over the lease mileage ( what? 15,000 miles/year or $ .15-.20 / mile overage?!) I believe in safety and value over all else. You may not need a new car. Used 3rd gen, 6 cylinder timing chain 2gr-fe engines in Toyota and Lexus products are the only way to go…as long as there is no VVT start-up rattle, and the lower oil cooler line and the rear bank VVT oil cooler lines are the all metal versions.
You can lease cars with up to 20,000 miles a year in allowed mileage. I wouldn't lease a car for a kid but mileage isn't the reason why.

I want all the latest safety technology and design, which means a 15 year old RX isn't going to cut it.
Old 08-30-24, 09:51 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,022 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
You can lease cars with up to 20,000 miles a year in allowed mileage. I wouldn't lease a car for a kid but mileage isn't the reason why.

I want all the latest safety technology and design, which means a 15 year old RX isn't going to cut it.
Good parenting can reduce driving risk for a teenager more than any safety feature.
Spoiler

Old 08-30-24, 12:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Margate330
Good parenting can reduce driving risk for a teenager more than any safety feature.

Good parenting isn't going to help my kid if they get T Boned by a Suburban. Bottom line is kids are dramatically more likely to be in an accident than an adult, has nothing to do with parenting it has to do with skill and experience. So...I want them in the safest car I can reasonably put them in, not something thats 15 years old. They're safer in a new CR-V than a 15 year old RX.
Old 08-30-24, 12:57 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,621 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
It's dark out so I will try and post some pics tomorrow.
Ahem...cough...cough...

Old 08-31-24, 06:21 AM
1111GS

Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

Congrats! I think Hyundai/Genesis/Kia all offer nice vehicles/deals. They most likely will build a new building for Genesis for your area in future. There is a nice brand new Genesis near me. They used to share a small corner with Hyundai. I think this is a nice move for them. It's as nice or more than other nearby German's.
I feel because of business and competition some concentrate on customer services to make their current customers happy and bring in new business. I (remotely) dealt with a mainstream dealership to get a car for my relative. All numbers were agreed. I told them up front that I don't want any change or add on. They came in, checked all numbers. All matched. They went home with their new car in less than an hour.
Like you I always come in prepared. I don't bring in a laptop but I have notes and all tabs opened on my phone. When they sense you know what you're doing, most seem to stay in line. Unfortunately, not all dealerships are like this. The last two German dealerships I dealt with both tried to run me over. The pathetic part was once all done, they asked me to give them five star reviews.
Old 08-31-24, 07:37 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JDR76
Ahem...cough...cough...

Ha ha sorry, I forgot. Here are a few pics I just took really quick.

This model is one and a half steps up from base and came with synthetic leather and sunroof for a little bit more. I just didn’t want cloth seats for ease of cleaning but I couldn’t care less for the sunroof. It also has a little better screen in front of the driver and has the driver attention monitor above the steering wheel.

Old 08-31-24, 07:41 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1111GS
Congrats! I think Hyundai/Genesis/Kia all offer nice vehicles/deals. They most likely will build a new building for Genesis for your area in future. There is a nice brand new Genesis near me. They used to share a small corner with Hyundai. I think this is a nice move for them. It's as nice or more than other nearby German's.
I feel because of business and competition some concentrate on customer services to make their current customers happy and bring in new business. I (remotely) dealt with a mainstream dealership to get a car for my relative. All numbers were agreed. I told them up front that I don't want any change or add on. They came in, checked all numbers. All matched. They went home with their new car in less than an hour.
Like you I always come in prepared. I don't bring in a laptop but I have notes and all tabs opened on my phone. When they sense you know what you're doing, most seem to stay in line. Unfortunately, not all dealerships are like this. The last two German dealerships I dealt with both tried to run me over. The pathetic part was once all done, they asked me to give them five star reviews.
What’s interesting is the Genesis building is going to stay the same but they are just going to remodel the interior. The location is just really small/tight because it’s in the crowded part of Annapolis where a number of other dealers are whereas the Hyundai dealer is right outside the city with no other dealers around.
Old 08-31-24, 10:45 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Looks good!