Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Looking for a new CUV

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-24, 11:09 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
What about a Model Y Long Range? Incredibly safe and (as you know) you can set parameters/limits for speed under his "driver profile" for added peace of mind, which is something (to my knowledge) you can't do in any other car. If my kids were turning 16 right now, I'd lean towards them having a Tesla.
I actually did consider a Model Y LR for various reasons including safety and no gas costs and the monthly payment isn't bad. I'm just not sure I'm there yet for an electric car for my son just yet just based on the torque/hp and the way it drives for a newer driver. I am thinking about it though.
Old 07-17-24, 11:13 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,030 Likes on 814 Posts

I don't know what the young dating scene is like today but back in the day it was all about being cool.​​​​​​

Cuvs are not "cool", never happened. Lol
Plenty of sporty cool cars that are not necessarily too fast or dangerous

That's my vote for anyone with a son.
Old 07-17-24, 11:58 AM
LH1
Instructor

Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
after looking at what I could get for $15k, it would be a relatively older model with a decent amount of miles.
The used car market is still so screwed up. I do local searches and a lot of results of $15k and under are piles of junk.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the cars listed or can think of any other CUVs in this price range? I was thinking about a Nissan Rogue as well since I just had one as a rental and it wasn't bad at all.
Mitsubishi Outlander Sport? Not sure if anyone mentioned that. I just did a quick search and found some new ones for $24k. They were in Ewing, NJ though.

Old 07-17-24, 12:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Impressing girls would be far down the list of priorities for me lol

I had an Explorer and I did alright!
Old 07-17-24, 02:07 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 426 Likes on 283 Posts

I actually did consider a Model Y LR for various reasons including safety and no gas costs and the monthly payment isn't bad. I'm just not sure I'm there yet for an electric car for my son just yet just based on the torque/hp and the way it drives for a newer driver. I am thinking about it though.
Yep, I get it. I will say I've driven a 3 LR and Y LR as rentals when the driving mode is set to be more "ICE like" (comfort mode for acceleration, etc) and it has way less power than my MYP and certainly not even close to your Plaid. I love the concept of being able to set the driving parameters for a driver, cap their speed, be able to see where the car is, etc. and the overall safety of any Tesla is second to none, regardless of price point.

I have family members who bought their kids the Hyundai Tucson and have been very happy. Couldn't go wrong with a RAV4, etc. either.
Old 07-17-24, 02:09 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 426 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Impressing girls would be far down the list of priorities for me lol

I had an Explorer and I did alright!
LOL - one of my buddies had a turquoise looking Ford Aerostar minivan for a while and somehow made that work..! It ain't all about the car!
Old 07-17-24, 03:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

LOL - one of my buddies had a turquoise looking Ford Aerostar minivan for a while and somehow made that work..! It ain't all about the car!
Haha! A ******* wagon!
Old 07-17-24, 03:25 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

I was going to post the same thing, if I have to get him a cool car to get girls then he has bigger problems.

I’m sure it can/would help but not sure those are the girls he should date until he figures it out for himself. Of course once he figures things out for himself and that it can be a use, use situation then…j/k of course, well sort of.
Old 07-17-24, 03:29 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LH1
The used car market is still so screwed up. I do local searches and a lot of results of $15k and under are piles of junk.

Mitsubishi Outlander Sport? Not sure if anyone mentioned that. I just did a quick search and found some new ones for $24k. They were in Ewing, NJ though.
Thats the thing, the used RAV4’s and CRV’s I found in my price range looked like crap and who knows if there would be any problems to deal with which I don’t have time to mess with. Plus I like the safety features of newer cars.

As for the Mitsubishi, not sure I believe in the brand enough to chance that.
Old 07-17-24, 03:37 PM
LH1
Instructor

Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts

the used RAV4’s and CRV’s I found in my price range looked like crap and who knows if there would be any problems to deal with which I don’t have time to mess with. Plus I like the safety features of newer cars.

As for the Mitsubishi, not sure I believe in the brand enough to chance that.
I see the same thing and I totally understand.

Mitsubishi is an oddball brand to say the least lol. Just wanted to throw it out there.
Old 07-17-24, 03:43 PM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Received 812 Likes on 566 Posts

Steve and I have both had horrible experiences with Mitsu products. Granted they were Eclipse Cross and not the Outlander, but woo. That was a bad car
Old 07-17-24, 04:19 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,030 Likes on 814 Posts

I was going to post the same thing, if I have to get him a cool car to get girls then he has bigger problems....
Of course. Lol
If he's already a cool dude, a cool car just add to it.

But, any car at that age is more cool than riding the bus tho. Lol

​​​​​​
​​​​​​
Old 07-17-24, 04:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Allen K
Steve and I have both had horrible experiences with Mitsu products. Granted they were Eclipse Cross and not the Outlander, but woo. That was a bad car
Yeah, terrible car!
Old 07-17-24, 05:14 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

How about WRX? Previous gen was pretty nice.
its safe, has awd, very versatile and still cool car for 16yr old. Definitely better than a Kia CUV.

They hold their value well also.

Old 07-17-24, 05:44 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
CX5 would be a great choice IMO. One of my agents just traded her CX5 in on a new Kia Nero Hybrid which is pretty sharp.

16 year old won’t necessarily damage a car. I never did, my wife never did. Most of my friends never did. Get something with cameras and blind spot monitoring and parking sensors.

Only thing about leasing it, is I would like my kids to be able to keep the car long term while they get started in life until they can afford to replace it. Mom and Dad will buy them each one car and then it’s up to them. If you lease, he’ll be 19 and the car will be gone and he’ll have nothing, what’s he going to do about a car when he gets out of college? If you buy him a new car he can keep it until he’s 30 if he wants. My office admin still has her car her parents bought her (a Mazda 3) when she was 16 and she’s 30. Her and her husband just got a new Sienna since they had a baby and now he drives the old paid for Mazda 3. I was given my moms couple year old Explorer when I turned 16 and I kept that through college until I graduated and I got my ES300 on my own.

Just food for thought…
I second the CX5 suggestion. I rented a car at the end of June for a road trip and I got a CX5 from Hertz. It was a 2024 and had less than 8K miles on it. I put 990 miles on it in 3 days. I assume it was not very optioned up as a rental and I was impressed with the interior quality. It had Apple CarPlay which was nice for music and navigation. It actually was equipped with navigation, but they removed the SD card because maybe some customers would steal the card.

The ride was quite comfortable. The cabin was pretty quiet except when the engine had to do some long uphill work on I40 in Arizona. I leaned into it a few times to get by the uphill big rig passing (but a lot of OTR drivers just don’t care and they’re coming over anyway lol). It’s not super powerful but I just wanted a comfortable vehicle with some ground clearance for the two short stretches of dirt road go to my friends’ house.

I appreciated having bling spot monitoring which I miss in my DD because it doesn’t have that. The backup camera resolution was very good and it uses the whole center screen. Overall, including safety, quality, and comfort, I was very impressed with the CX5.

Quick Reply: Looking for a new CUV