Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Looking for a new CUV

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:13 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 965 Likes on 770 Posts

If high mpgs are a huge concern I'd go with a Tesla for him, at least it's a cool car for a youngster.

A Prius, not so much.
Old Yesterday, 06:49 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

TheRas900 - excellent post! too bad we don't have a like button.
Old Yesterday, 12:21 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRas900
A year ago we leased our 16 year old son a Acura Integra. The original plan was for him to inherit our 2016 ES350 but that car started having significant problems that the dealer couldn't sort out. After going through the process, I'll share some thoughts.
1. Leasing was for sure the way to go. They are new drivers. He hits more potholes than the average bear and is still learning things not to do for insuring longevity. If he does have an accident, a bad Carfax isn't going to hurt you.
2. New was also the way to go if one can afford it. They have the most safety and technology equipment. He's also had to jump one friend's older CRV and pick up another who had a RAV4 which refused to move.
3. Since you are leasing, don't resign yourself to just Honda and Toyota products. Anything will be fine for a 3 year lease, and several will be cheaper, possibly safer and with better technology. Think of outliers like the VW Tiguan.
4. These are small CUVs, a CX5 might be better than a Kona at the margins of driving. Kids won't care. They will care, and be safer, with wireless CarPlay and blind spot video cams, both of which the Hyundai/Kia products have while Mazda has the worst infotainment in the industry.
5. Our setup is we lease the car and pay insurance, our son handles the cost of gas. The Acura has free maint for 2 years, so that's not in the mix. He is much happier in a 1.5 Acura which gets mid 30s on regular than the high teens of a Lexus V6.
6. We also got the car when he turned 16, so he could learn on that same vehicle. Otherwise, he would have learned on a Porsche or 6MT, neither being optimal like in your situation. It also helps to get those practice hours and not then shift to something without a backup cam, or with different dimensions.

If they are all equivalent on lease price, ask your child what is their favorite. Let them get something they enjoy. If they don't care, prioritize anything that will make their trips incrementally safer. And good luck!
Thanks for your insight, your reasoning for leasing is spot on from what I was thinking, especially getting an older car with problems and less safety features. As for Toyota and Honda, I didn't even consider them in my search because they are generally more expensive for the same level of CUV with less features for the price.
Old Today, 04:15 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

So i went and test drove a number of vehicles yesterday, here is what I test drove and my thoughts:

Mazda CX-5 - More of a driver's car than the others but while the interior had decent materials and the included options at this price point was really good I didn't love the ergonomics. The gauge cluster and infotainment screen just looked dated. Not bad but I had higher hopes.

Hyundai Tucson - I liked the exterior looks of this car and it was pretty comfortable and drove pretty nice overall. The interior was more modern looking than the Mazda and the lease incentives are pretty good for this car.

Hyundai Kona N-Line - This was a smaller car but the one I thought handled the best and had the best interior IMO. It would be my choice if I was looking for a cheap car for me but my son didn't love it and felt he wanted more space.

Hyundai Santa Cruz - This was a wild card and competitor to the Maverick. Interior was decent but it is one ugly truck/car. Drove fine but couldn't get over the looks and my son didn't like it.

Ford Maverick - I though this truck/car was one of the coolest looking cars we drove since it was really like a CUV with a truck bed vs. a real truck. It drove really nice and had the most hp. The downfall for me was the interior had so much plastic compared to the other ones we test drove that it just felt really cheap and it is because of the price range. The door panels looked kind of cool but it felt like the door panels and dash were carved out of plastic vs. just plastic pieces put together. I understand in this segment maybe that is what people want but for the price I was hoping a little better. There are also no good lease deals on this given the demand and the interest rate on the lease is basically 9% which puts the lease payment in a higher price bracket than where it should be. However, this was my son's favorite.

Kia Sportage - This CUV drove nice and had the most impressive interior IMO. The gauge cluster/infotainment screen was more modern than all of the cars and it had a normal shifter and had all of the safety features I would want (the Tucson and CX-5 did too). It leases pretty well and of the CUVs we looked at this was the one he liked most.

So around the $30k-$32k price range, right now we are leaning toward the Sportage; however, even though I said I wasn't going to look at the RAV4 and CRV, I am going to check those out given the reviews I have seen and it seems the RAV4 leases decently and the CRV seems to win all of the comparison tests.

I am heading to Italy for a couple weeks so when I come back I am hoping to make a quick decision.

Old Today, 04:25 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 651 Likes on 406 Posts

is your son in a position to contribute the extra to buy up to the Maverick he would like from the lease payment you'd have funded for say the Kona?

That might give you and he the best of all worlds. He gets the vehicle he likes, you get the payment you wanted, AND he will feel much more inclined to take care of it and feel more of a sense of "ownership" (yes I know it is a lease) if he has his own money on the line.