Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Looking for a new CUV

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-24, 03:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
Not may area of expertise at all so I have no idea but I trust your guy Ian knows what he is doing and he seemed to be working hard trying to find the best path forward from a cost perspective. I guess that's why Erie's rates are so good since they are not a high risk insurance company but then if you are a high risk person like a new driver they charge more for it.
Oh Ian knows! He's the best.
Old 08-17-24, 02:33 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Well decision has been made, we are attempting to get a 2025 Hyundai Tucson. We were leaning toward the Kia Sportage because we liked the interior but once I saw the new Tucson interior it was very similar to the Kia and better to me in some ways. Plus free maintenance for three years. Here is why I say we are “attempting” to get one.

We found only one dealer in the area that had a 2025 since they just started getting delivered last Saturday so I called and they were going to let me look at the car even though it wasn’t for sale yet. We liked it and although they didn’t have the color combo we wanted they could get it in a couple days at a dealer in PA. Well they got the car and called me but now the deal we had changed because they claimed they gave me the wrong money factor so my payment went up $100 a month so I cancelled the deal.

Called another dealer and they are going to try and get me the color combo I want and we worked out number's (even though they are marking up the money factor the allowed 0.0040) but I’m skeptical because somehow the residual went up and the payment is exactly where I wanted to be but I don’t believe he has the right residual number so until I sign on the dotted line later this week a deal isn’t done.

If we can’t agree on numbers my fallback is the Mazda CX-5. The deals are really good right now so the payment is actually under the payment I’m looking for.

Last edited by patgilm; 08-17-24 at 05:02 PM.
Old 08-17-24, 04:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Well decision has been made, we are attempting to get a 2025 Hyundai Tucson.
Congratulations.

For those of you who have not seen the 2025 Tuscon, here are some images:

I may (?) be looking at another Buick Encore GX next year.

Old 08-18-24, 06:33 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 509 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Used RX350 is my vote. Better than all of those
This ^^^ or a used rav4/ crv.....Pass on all those others as you mention reliability......It'd be great if he knows the basic's, changing oil/filter, tires, ect.
Old 08-18-24, 07:33 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,513 Likes on 1,652 Posts

just listened to a podcast on used car prices and they were ranting about the price people want for used rav4's and crv's, etc. they basically said might as well buy a new one.
Old 08-18-24, 07:54 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Where.i am. A Mid level Rav and especially a hybrid are in extremely high demand with a very long wait time. So a used Rav is high in price because you can have it now. It makes sense

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-18-24 at 08:00 PM.
Old 08-19-24, 06:09 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

Someone close to me was looking at a RAV4 until they could not get the type they wanted no matter the $$$, they will also look at used options now.
Old 08-19-24, 09:24 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Well decision has been made, we are attempting to get a 2025 Hyundai Tucson. We were leaning toward the Kia Sportage because we liked the interior but once I saw the new Tucson interior it was very similar to the Kia and better to me in some ways. Plus free maintenance for three years. Here is why I say we are “attempting” to get one.

We found only one dealer in the area that had a 2025 since they just started getting delivered last Saturday so I called and they were going to let me look at the car even though it wasn’t for sale yet. We liked it and although they didn’t have the color combo we wanted they could get it in a couple days at a dealer in PA. Well they got the car and called me but now the deal we had changed because they claimed they gave me the wrong money factor so my payment went up $100 a month so I cancelled the deal.

Called another dealer and they are going to try and get me the color combo I want and we worked out number's (even though they are marking up the money factor the allowed 0.0040) but I’m skeptical because somehow the residual went up and the payment is exactly where I wanted to be but I don’t believe he has the right residual number so until I sign on the dotted line later this week a deal isn’t done.

If we can’t agree on numbers my fallback is the Mazda CX-5. The deals are really good right now so the payment is actually under the payment I’m looking for.
Congrats! Them marking up the MF really grinds my gears, hope it works out.
Old 08-19-24, 01:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
Where.i am. A Mid level Rav and especially a hybrid are in extremely high demand with a very long wait time. So a used Rav is high in price because you can have it now. It makes sense
why can't toyota keep up with demand?
Old 08-19-24, 02:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Maybe still a shortage of computer chips?
Old 08-19-24, 06:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Maybe still a shortage of computer chips?
yeah no one's making chips that old now, lol.
Old 08-19-24, 06:10 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Fake ruggedness
Spoiler

Old 08-19-24, 06:34 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

I didn't even get to test drive a RAV4. I went to the dealer and they had no RAV4's and the ones that were inbound were already sold. At least that made it easy for us to decide not to lease one, the decision was made for us because there were none to be had. To be honest, I didn't have high hopes for the RAV4 (regular gas model) as the reviews on them haven't been good this year like they were in the past.

On the other hand there were plenty of new 2025 CRVs at the Honda dealer across the street and they consistently get the best reviews out of all of the CUVs in the price range I was looking at.
Old 08-21-24, 08:35 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah I see nothing so compelling about Toyota offerings I'm going to deal with the lack of inventory and the attitude of the dealers, markups etc. I'm in NJ now and my sister in law is looking for a new minivan, she wanted the hybrid Sienna but can't even find one to drive...so cross that off the list she's going to get another Odyssey.
Old 08-21-24, 09:22 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,030 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
...so cross that off the list she's going to get another Odyssey.
Saw a newer Honda Odyssey the other day in the lane next to me.

Have to say it looked sharp.
I like it.

Quick Reply: Looking for a new CUV