Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2025 Escalade Refresh

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-24, 10:43 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
You said you don’t suggest any conspiracies and then suggest conspiracies lol.

What spectrum? There is no spectrum. I can’t do anything about what’s happening so it doesn’t trouble me. I don’t let things that I can’t control trouble me. I like V8s and I also like EVs, so it will all be fine. I’ve had great V8s and I will have great EVs.
Uggghh yes you can make your voice heard!!!! You always act like the government has such a big push and you are fine with it—you can fight back.

I’m not troubled but it just sucks that cars are absolutely ruined to me. All but a few. Cars are my #1 hobby and always have been, so like I said it just sucks really bad that I don’t even really want anything new except a bad *** truck
Old 07-18-24, 11:04 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

I don’t believe only the government is at work here. Consumers want better fuel economy. It’s at the top of every survey that is done about buyer preferences.

At the end of the day the kind of engines in cars we buy are not worth my attention politically. We have a lot of other things to be worried about.

You don’t buy new cars anyways. There will be plenty of cars with V8s for you to buy for a long time.

You are clearly troubled by this lol
Old 07-18-24, 11:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LH1
Could be. Americans just don't like diesels in light passenger vehicles, CUV's or SUV's.
That's because, for many Americans, their "image" of a car-type diesel is stuck back in the days of the ultra-lemon diesels of the 70s and 80s, which smoked black soot, rattled and shook, idled like a can of marbles, wouldn't start in below-freezing temperatures even with two batteries, diluted the fuel supply with water, took forever for the glow-plugs to heat the cylinders up, warped and cracked the engine blocks which couldn't stand the 20-1 compression-pressure, spent more time in the repair shop than out, and in general, were a complete pain in the ***. Those days are LONG gone, particularly with modern Bluetec, TDI, and Duramax diesels, which are reliable and start/run almost indistinguishably from a gas engine.
Old 07-18-24, 12:30 PM
LH1
Instructor

Received 193 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's because, for many Americans, their "image" of a car-type diesel is stuck back in the days of the ultra-lemon diesels of the 70s and 80s, which smoked black soot, rattled and shook, idled like a can of marbles, wouldn't start in below-freezing temperatures even with two batteries, diluted the fuel supply with water, took forever for the glow-plugs to heat the cylinders up, warped and cracked the engine blocks which couldn't stand the 20-1 compression-pressure, spent more time in the repair shop than out, and in general, were a complete pain in the ***.
That's why I said this:

Originally Posted by LH1
I think the disastrously bad diesels of the 80's scared Americans off forever.
Originally Posted by mmarshall
Those days are LONG gone
Those days are long gone but the damage was done. Yes, there was an oddball here and there in the light passenger/SUV space but any American that drove those pos diesels from the 80's would never buy them again.
Old 07-18-24, 12:45 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Remember how bad they were how there would be literal soot on the area around the exhaust pipe??? OLLLD diesel w126s and w123s come to mind!
Old 07-18-24, 01:54 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

It’s a uniquely American thing, the anti diesel. Look at all the diesels elsewhere in the world.
The cost to buy a diesel vehicle is higher as well. That is huge turn off as buyers want the cheapest possible purchase price and the manufactures want to offer the lowest price possible. Then there is difficulty of passing emissions compared to gas, more maintenance as well. Buyers would not be willing to pay extra.
Old 07-18-24, 02:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
The cost to buy a diesel vehicle is higher as well. That is huge turn off as buyers want the cheapest possible purchase price and the manufactures want to offer the lowest price possible. Then there is difficulty of passing emissions compared to gas, more maintenance as well. Buyers would not be willing to pay extra.
They pay extra elsewhere in the world. Diesel has many benefits and fuel economy is one of them.
Old 07-18-24, 02:37 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

They pay extra elsewhere in the world.
But Americans will not pay more for an equivalent diesel motor. The cheapest vehicles wins . There is no equivalent replacement in the Escalade for a V8 gas engine, the diesel is 6 cylinder. The diesel in Escalade doesn’t get close to the performance numbers of the big V8.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-18-24 at 02:40 PM.
Old 07-18-24, 02:42 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Apparently newer diesels are a nightmare because of .... ding ding... emissions crap.

That would make me pass on the diesel as well.
Old 07-18-24, 02:44 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

You don’t buy new cars anyways. There will be plenty of cars with V8s for you to buy for a long time.

You are clearly troubled by this lol
Not really. LC500 will be the last car we buy.

I'm not troubled I'm just disappointed with everything. I used to foam at the mouth when the mags came in the mailbox. Now I"m just bored to death unless it's a kick *** truck or SUV.
Old 07-19-24, 04:20 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by jwong77
Just curious, since I have no experience with these cars, what makes the RR easier to live with? Is it the smaller footprint?
Drives really nicely, active anti roll bars, really developed air suspension, adaptive steering, variable everything, more power/faster, ZF8 trans.

Smaller, feels more carlike, all aluminum so you won't get rot in 7-10 years like GM trucks do, way better interior materials if you option up and just way more like a flagship car if you option up than any Cadillac.

I like this new one, I generally like all of the Escalades since they do the massive boat job very well and are well equipped for what they are. The diesel engine would be my pick with full deletes and a tune for MPG and range reasons while being able to tow anything I want. Basically I would spec it as a lux work truck
Old 07-19-24, 04:54 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
But Americans will not pay more for an equivalent diesel motor. The cheapest vehicles wins . There is no equivalent replacement in the Escalade for a V8 gas engine, the diesel is 6 cylinder. The diesel in Escalade doesn’t get close to the performance numbers of the big V8.
But they will pay more for the equivalent hybrid system or EV. It’s just a regional preference for powertrain

Originally Posted by AJT123
Apparently newer diesels are a nightmare because of .... ding ding... emissions crap.

That would make me pass on the diesel as well.
Shocker lol

Originally Posted by AJT123
Not really. LC500 will be the last car we buy.

I'm not troubled I'm just disappointed with everything. I used to foam at the mouth when the mags came in the mailbox. Now I"m just bored to death unless it's a kick *** truck or SUV.
Thats your choice though.
Old 07-19-24, 02:54 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Drives really nicely, active anti roll bars, really developed air suspension, adaptive steering, variable everything, more power/faster, ZF8 trans.

Smaller, feels more carlike, all aluminum so you won't get rot in 7-10 years like GM trucks do, way better interior materials if you option up and just way more like a flagship car if you option up than any Cadillac.

I like this new one, I generally like all of the Escalades since they do the massive boat job very well and are well equipped for what they are. The diesel engine would be my pick with full deletes and a tune for MPG and range reasons while being able to tow anything I want. Basically I would spec it as a lux work truck
Ah gotcha, thanks, maybe someday I can earn enough to afford to throw money away on these fast depreciating cars to experience the difference myself.
Old 07-19-24, 03:49 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by jwong77
Ah gotcha, thanks, maybe someday I can earn enough to afford to throw money away on these fast depreciating cars to experience the difference myself.
Buy used, let someone else eat the depreciation
Old 07-19-24, 06:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Buy used, let someone else eat the depreciation

The flip side to that is that you could also be buying someone else's problems, unless you spring for a CPO (Certified Previously Owned) vehicle, and, of course, they cost more than the typical used vehicle. And, from what I've seen on the lots, CPOs, while usually better than other used vehicles, are not always what THEY are hyped as, either. Long ago, it was apparent to me that in most cases, the extra money one spends on a new vehicle vs. used was worth it, even in states like here in Virginia where the market value of vehicles is assessed every year and you are paying extra tax money in property tax.

Now, of course, there are exceptions. Some very expensive new vehicles (say triple-digits), or those with a very high depreciation rate, may in fact be a better value used. But in most cases, new is usually worth the money.

Quick Reply: 2025 Escalade Refresh