Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2025 Escalade Refresh

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-24, 06:33 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The flip side to that is that you could also be buying someone else's problems, un
I've never bought a bad used car in my life, ever.

All creampuffs, 9-9.5/10 condition when bought at least.

I never will buy a new car because I don't want to be the sucker that takes the big depreciation hit. You lose thousands the second you drive off the lot, that's not a wive's tale.
Old 07-19-24, 06:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
I've never bought a bad used car in my life, ever.

Unfortunately, MANY other people cannot say the same thing.
Old 07-19-24, 06:43 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Unfortunately, MANY other people cannot say the same thing.
Yes, that is true.
Old 07-20-24, 06:05 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

The flip side to that is that you could also be buying someone else's problems, unless you spring for a CPO (Certified Previously Owned) vehicle, and, of course, they cost more than the typical used vehicle. And, from what I've seen on the lots, CPOs, while usually better than other used vehicles, are not always what THEY are hyped as, either. Long ago, it was apparent to me that in most cases, the extra money one spends on a new vehicle vs. used was worth it, even in states like here in Virginia where the market value of vehicles is assessed every year and you are paying extra tax money in property tax.

Now, of course, there are exceptions. Some very expensive new vehicles (say triple-digits), or those with a very high depreciation rate, may in fact be a better value used. But in most cases, new is usually worth the money.
Thats true, I usually buy cars that have insane drop off though so there is zero chance it will be more expensive than new.

I bought 3 new cars in my life, they were also by far the most expensive things relative to what I got for my money and one of them had more issues than most of my used cars.

The used car that gave me the most problems in terms of hours/parts/effective costs was my LS430 by far. I keep a log of what each car needed outside of maintenance and pre-existing issues and by far that car just constantly had problems on top of having the most pre-existing issues. It was still a relatively good value in terms of what it drove like vs what I put in but there were 3 distinct times I was mad at it.

The LS460 has given near zero issues once I fixed the pre-existing ones and it only needed things that made sense for the miles when I bought it. Exceptionally good for the most part, only needed TPMS sensors and parking brake adjustment so far.

The 4.0TT A8 needed sway bar bushings after a little while for $7.50 and about 30 min, and one engine mount, and one boost bypass valve. Stuff it had wrong on arrival were brakes, upper control arms, intake tube clamp failure, some interior trim issues, and the 360 cam was buggy but all was easy and far less than the 460.

The W12 has been perfect in every way and I didn't even have to fix anything when I got it other than a detached subwoofer dust cover on first arrival. Only things I've done so far have been maintenance to make sure it stays good. I'm going to replace all its control arms and hubs just so I know they are new though as I want them to be. It's probably the car most likely to get new parts just because I want them and it's one of two that are permanent to my collection

Last edited by Striker223; 07-20-24 at 06:16 AM.
Old 07-20-24, 06:10 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,030 Likes on 814 Posts

In general, cars are just depreciating assets.

Machines that are worth less and less from the day they are purchased.

Old 07-20-24, 07:22 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,659 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Those aren’t the headlights, the headlights are down low on the bumper.
thankfully... if the top lights were headlights, it would blind all other drivers.

So....what was "Bad" about them? Those were the vehicles that defined the brand...at least until the SUV craze came along and/or Cadillac abandoned their core-customers and started chasing after BMW.
back then cadillac's "core customers" abandoned cadillac.

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The bigger the interior screens, the more clogged traffic will become. Triple the distraction. When today's lights turn green, no one goes forward anymore. Fiddling with electronics.
my hyundai detects when the car in front has moved and ding dings to make sure i get going. it's an awesome feature

It’s a uniquely American thing, the anti diesel. Look at all the diesels elsewhere in the world.
maybe 10 years ago. but now, due to diesel gate, social shaming and everyone wanting to 'look' like they're saving the world, diesels have gone WAY out of favor elsewhere.

back to this new escalade... a beast indead, but so stupidly high to make the driver feel 'above it all'. this new escalade can run over a tesla and not feel it or care.
Old 07-20-24, 07:46 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

back to this new escalade... a beast indead, but so stupidly high to make the driver feel 'above it all'. this new escalade can run over a tesla and not feel it or care.
That's half the point....

Nobody has to be an "Escalade person" but they're pretty freaking nice. The driving position is one of the best parts, maybe "stupidly high" but I love that. People GTF out of your way and respect the size. You don't have to wait much to merge. You get used to the size and it's really easy to drive once you get used to it. You would get used to it easily on Florida's flat, large, wide roads.
Old 07-20-24, 09:15 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
back then cadillac's "core customers" abandoned cadillac.
Incorrect. They still wanted traditional Cadillacs, but Cadillac simply forgot them and tried to make the brand an American BMW.

Old 07-20-24, 09:19 AM
LH1
Instructor

Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts

Incorrect. They still wanted traditional Cadillacs, but Cadillac simply forgot them and tried to make the brand an American BMW.
They had to shift to a younger demographic.

Old 07-20-24, 10:21 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,659 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
People GTF out of your way and respect fear the size.
ftfy, they're worried about being hit or hitting it.

You get used to the size and it's really easy to drive once you get used to it.
until you have to park it.

You would get used to it easily on Florida's flat, large, wide roads.
true, but again, parking (docking? lol) is a big hassle.
Old 07-20-24, 10:30 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Sales numbers show the Escalade is what people want
Old 07-20-24, 10:42 AM
LH1
Instructor

Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts

I would probably curb a wheel or something driving that beast. I'm so used to cars my size or smaller.

Now, that being said I recently test drove a 24 Titan lol. I really liked it. I gotta test drive a GX 550 too. I guess my point is I'm falling for these oversized vehicles too.
Old 07-20-24, 01:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,777 Likes on 1,984 Posts

People in coffins don't buy cars
Old 07-20-24, 02:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

People in coffins don't buy cars

An inaccurate stereotype.

Although it is now several years old, here is a good article on the subject.

https://automobilechronicles.com/cad...ut-a-cadillac/
Old 07-20-24, 02:50 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

I don't have a single Cadillac customer under 60.....

Quick Reply: 2025 Escalade Refresh