Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2025 Escalade Refresh

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-24, 07:52 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the escalade v will sell in tiny numbers so not a big indication of v8 interest increase.
Lol the EV Escalade probably won't even make it to production, and if it does it will be a miserable failure... calling that right now.

THIS is what we want for a briefcase full of money.. Glorious ICE absurdity in our current stupid, G-rated world.

Americans love their V8 trucks and SUVs, cars too when it was allowed god-forbid.
Old 07-21-24, 07:59 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
I would say the Escalade has the highest vehicle brand cache when it comes to large SUVs for any brand. The German crossovers don’t have it. Range Rover does but it is different.
Spot on. Escalade is the king. It doesn't have RR heritage (but Escalade does have heritage) but I don't really feel they are direct competitors, and RR is different... I agree. Just look at this thing, it is unbelievably good looking.

@AJT123 I think it was you that predicted that Americans want big V8s
They do. They just want V8s period. The 5.3 is behind compared to the competition power-wise yet they sell so many it's crazy and people don't seem to mind. It may be slower but it's plenty enough.

A low spec Expedition would leave a 5.3 V8 Tahoe in the dust, but nobody seems to care. GM owns the segment. They like that the trucks have V8s, hence the new V8 coming out.
Old 07-21-24, 08:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
A low spec Expedition would leave a 5.3 V8 Tahoe in the dust, but nobody seems to care. GM owns the segment. They like that the trucks have V8s, hence the new V8 coming out.
What new V8 coming out?

You make sense. I agree with you.
Spoiler

Old 07-21-24, 08:18 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

What new V8 coming out?

Spoiler

There's a new generation GM small block coming out....nobody knows too much about it, just god please no hybrid which I actually doubt. :-). My guess is the new V8 will come with the next gen trucks and SUVs. And Corvette.
Old 07-21-24, 08:22 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

There's a new generation GM small block coming out....nobody knows too much about it, just god please no hybrid which I actually doubt. :-). My guess is the new V8 will come with the next gen trucks and SUVs. And Corvette.
I never knew that. Good for GM. So the new Escalade discontinued the diesel, I bet you it would have done better if it were a proper V8.
Old 07-21-24, 08:24 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

I never knew that. Good for GM. So the new Escalade discontinued the diesels, I bet you it would have don’t better if it were a proper V8.
A V8 Diesel is a beast, yes I agree...

This one? I'm glad it's efficient or whatever....

But 0-60 in 8.9 seconds in 2024, lmfao.... For $125,000?

These things are sloowwwww on the highway I'm guessing. The standard 6.2 is startling how fast it gets up to the 112MPH limiter.
Old 07-21-24, 08:36 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

"I Hate How Much I Love the GMC Yukon Denali Ultimate"

This is a perfect example of what I'm saying about big huge luxury trucks. People lovvvve them. @bitkahuna if you drove one of these around flat wide Florida for a while you just might like it!

I'd rather have an Escalade too but not for how much more they cost than a Denali.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/reviews...timate-driven/

Today's full-size SUVs are ridiculous. Too big, too inefficient, too much truck for 99 percent of the people who buy them. If you need a big family car, get a minivan. The new hybrid Toyota Sienna will easily carry around four kids, and get 36 mpg doing so. I stand by all that. I'll also say that the GMC Yukon Denali Ultimate is so good that after a week with one, I now understand why people buy these, and I can see a world where I would do the same. Which I hate.

As the name implies, this is the top of the GMC Yukon tree. The Ultimate trim, which was introduced for 2023, pushes the Yukon Denali well into Cadillac Escalade territory with unique interior trim, standard four-wheel drive, tweaked exterior styling, and a host of other niceties. It also unlocks the ability to order Super Cruise, GM's excellent hands-free driver assist system. It costs $96,495, and this one bounced in at $97,745.

It's not a huge surprise this truck is so good. These are the sorts of vehicles GM does best. As major sources of profit—all the more important as it invests in an EV future—full-size SUVs really matter, and you can tell the engineers and designers behind this latest generation knew that only the best would do. GM also has such a long history with full-size SUVs, so there's a lot to build on.

Despite being enormous, the Yukon feels like a much smaller vehicle. I usually hate driving full-size trucks in and around my New York City home, but this rig was easy to wheel around. It's an imperious experience, sitting at such a high perch, enjoying the immense torque of the 6.2-liter V-8, the perfectly unhurried shifts from the 10-speed automatic, and this quiet, imminently comfortable cabin. The stress of city life melted away, aided in large part by the standard massaging seats.It's like being allowed to cut the line. You feel bad for everyone else around you, but worryingly, not so bad that you'll take some principled stand of solidarity.

Everything is so well-calibrated. The steering, pedals, engine, transmission, and MagneRide dampers all work in perfect harmony to provide a cohesive driving experience. It's remarkably comfortable for something that rides on 22-inch wheels, and the interior is also beautiful and well-trimmed with its open-pore wood.

While hands-free driving is something of a gimmick, for now, Super Cruise works very well. But do know that it will automatically change lanes without your input, something that freaked me out the first time it happened. With this feature, the Yukon Denali Ultimate might be the ultimate long-haul road-trip vehicle. Even better if you get the lovely 3.0-liter inline-six diesel, which gets 26 mpg on the highway to the 6.2's 18 and 528 miles of range on a tank compared with 384. However, I won't for a second deny the sound, effortless power, and immense torque of a big-*** small-block V-8.

Perhaps the biggest rival to the Yukon Denali Ultimate comes from within GM, the Cadillac Escalade. An Escalade Premium Luxury costs about the same and offers an even more spectacular interior paired with a similar driving experience. Yet while this truck isn’t subtle in any way, it's not quite as flashy as the Cadillac. The GMC badge doesn't necessarily scream "This is a $100,000 truck" and there's an appeal to that. Driving around the Yukon for a few days, it never caught a second glance.

Objectively then, there's nothing wrong with it. So let's deal with the subjective. My minivan comparison isn't 100 percent fair as this truck has towing capacity a Sienna couldn't dream of and far more luxury. But if you don't need to tow, say, a boat—or because this is Road & Track, a race car—you probably don't need this truck. It's wasteful.

And yet! What a way to travel. F. Scott Fitzgerald once wrote, "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." And he certainly understood American excess.

The Yukon Denali Ultimate is absurd, and it would be my first choice if I had to tow a race car from New York to Florida. How irritating.
Old 07-21-24, 10:02 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

that might be the most ridiculous car ever made.

it's uniquely american - loud, obnoxious, in your face, humongous.

i don't look forward to seeing these cruise ship sized vehicles on the road.
It's not any larger than any other Suburban or Expedition. Are those not everywhere in your neck of the woods?

Old 07-21-24, 10:02 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

What new V8 coming out?

Spoiler

My Ford has been dead reliable. I'd take it anywhere in a heartbeat.
Old 07-21-24, 10:11 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
I would love to drive a Coyote F150 to compare and contrast to the 3.5EB. Everyone I know with F150s has the 5.0.
Old 07-21-24, 10:12 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,004 Likes on 799 Posts

Which is it, dead or reliable?
Can't be both! 🙈
Old 07-21-24, 10:13 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

I would love to drive a Coyote F150 to compare and contrast to the 3.5EB. Everyone I know with F150s has the 5.0.
The 3.5 has more low-end torque because of the turbos. Compared to the GM V8's the 5.0 is more of a revver. It'll kill a 5.3 easily enough as the 6.2 is its real competition in the V8 world. But still scoots really well. The heads flow so much air this thing is a monster on the highway.
Old 07-22-24, 04:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,458 Likes on 1,612 Posts

It's not any larger than any other Suburban or Expedition. Are those not everywhere in your neck of the woods?
no, not at all. 100x more cuv's / smaller suv's.

by the way, checking sales, the expedition seems to sell about as many as escalade and suburban combined.

Old 07-22-24, 05:33 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Interesting to see all the enthusiasts hate on V8s….

Originally Posted by Margate330
Which is it, dead or reliable?
Can't be both! 🙈
Spoiler

Old 07-22-24, 05:43 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

no, not at all. 100x more cuv's / smaller suv's.

by the way, checking sales, the expedition seems to sell about as many as escalade and suburban combined.
Price is a factor.....

Quick Reply: 2025 Escalade Refresh