Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 2

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-24, 04:49 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,276 Likes on 1,774 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
Keep what you have. Add a blower if you want more power like the hybrid has. My track buddies tow with the big 3 and they aren’t trouble free!!

I may not be able to pay up many gas stations but I can pass up the service bays!!
The most disturbing thing to me was that horrible build quality, and use of cheap plastics. I'm not an owner like you guys are, but it looks like Toyota is going the opposite of Tesla, where early Tesla's had horrible build quality that got better over time and Toyota is going cheap with material quality. Just an observation from watching that video
Old 09-17-24, 05:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
I'm not there yet on the color choice but overall styling looks good.

I'd drive it
I really didn’t like the look of it when I saw it at the auto show. But in the wild, I think it looks great it has a really good design inside. 450 miles of range with the hybrid power.

And it has full-time four-wheel-drive

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 09-17-24 at 05:29 PM.
Old 09-17-24, 05:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
The most disturbing thing to me was that horrible build quality, and use of cheap plastics. I'm not an owner like you guys are, but it looks like Toyota is going the opposite of Tesla, where early Tesla's had horrible build quality that got better over time and Toyota is going cheap with material quality. Just an observation from watching that video

With Toyota, it didn't happen overnight. I have long-maintained that Toyota built many of their best vehicles in the 1990s, and I still stand by that opinion. The general material quality on many U.S-market Toyota products started a noticeable downturn from around 1997 and the redesign of the 4th-generation Camry, continued with the 2000 design of the Celica, and has been continuing on most of their products ever since. The 2nd-generation 2007 Tundra/Sequoia redesign and recent Tacomas have been especially disappointing.

One possible exception was the Corolla. The 90s versions didn't seem quite as well-done in material solidness, particularly with the flimsy-feeling doors, as some of the versions that followed them. But that is about the only exception I can think of.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-17-24 at 05:52 PM.
Old 09-17-24, 05:50 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
it's a race car on a trailer... it's likely not being towed because it's dead.
Did you know Toyota is gonna race the Supra GR in the Super Car series? But Toyota is gonna put the 2UR-GSE in it. The BMW motor isn’t reliable enough
Old 09-17-24, 06:09 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,628 Likes on 1,039 Posts

With the new Tundras, I’d say same as Tesla where initial build quality was suspect but improved. The ones I test drove had good paint quality, panel gaps, aligned trim, etc. For interior materials, they seemed like an improvement to me over my 2021. I love my 2021, and the leather quality is great, but it has a lot of cheap plastics and fake wood. I honestly found that Toyota is moving in a better direction. But that engine…therein lies my only concern with the new Tundra. As soon as I have confidence in it, I’ll likely buy one.
Old 09-17-24, 06:26 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Toyota feels cheaper and cheaper to me, now with reliability out the window I really see no point to them with how much they cost for what you get. Very "low value" so to speak, not impressive overall packages unless you just simply have to have the Toyota badge as a talisman.
Old 09-17-24, 06:27 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JDR76
With the new Tundras, I’d say same as Tesla where initial build quality was suspect but improved. The ones I test drove had good paint quality, panel gaps, aligned trim, etc. For interior materials, they seemed like an improvement to me over my 2021. I love my 2021, and the leather quality is great, but it has a lot of cheap plastics and fake wood. I honestly found that Toyota is moving in a better direction. But that engine…therein lies my only concern with the new Tundra. As soon as I have confidence in it, I’ll likely buy one.
Got it, I don't know much about Tundras, but owning several Toyotas over 30 years, I was a bit surprised seeing that video.

You should definitely stick with the 5.7L until they get this all sorted out. It's just strange seeing these engines fail from a company that is known for reliability
Old 09-17-24, 06:31 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
With Toyota, it didn't happen overnight. I have long-maintained that Toyota built many of their best vehicles in the 1990s, and I still stand by that opinion. The general material quality on many U.S-market Toyota products started a noticeable downturn from around 1997 and the redesign of the 4th-generation Camry, continued with the 2000 design of the Celica, and has been continuing on most of their products ever since. The 2nd-generation 2007 Tundra/Sequoia redesign and recent Tacomas have been especially disappointing.

One possible exception was the Corolla. The 90s versions didn't seem quite as well-done in material solidness, particularly with the flimsy-feeling doors, as some of the versions that followed them. But that is about the only exception I can think of.
I agree with this assessment, the best Toyotas I've owned are between 1995 and 2010
Old 09-17-24, 06:40 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,628 Likes on 1,039 Posts

Got it, I don't know much about Tundras, but owning several Toyotas over 30 years, I was a bit surprised seeing that video.

You should definitely stick with the 5.7L until they get this all sorted out. It's just strange seeing these engines fail from a company that is known for reliability
They definitely need to get it figured out.
Old 09-17-24, 06:58 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

Thank Uncle Sam and regulations.

Without it and regulations we'd have an updated and enlarged UR V8 of massive size and power, or maybe even a new generation V8 with a supercharger.

I hate all this so much but it's really not the automakers' faults.

You know half or more of Toyota engineers lovvvvve the 5.7. It's a contender for best truck V8 of all time easily.
Old 09-17-24, 07:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,659 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex

Just like on the track everyone comfort level and ability differs.
a track is entirely different than public roads.

oh btw, there’s 85mph speed limit in Texas.
on some sections of some roads, not all highways.

Originally Posted by Striker223
Jeep started missing, plugs had no electrode left.....these 40k mile plugs did good at 78k lol!

I hate spending anything on this car though, $13 for plugs is annoying somehow
i feel sorry for your jeep. give it a little more love and no telling how long it will last.

Originally Posted by Margate330
I'm not there yet on the color choice but overall styling looks good.
i believe the internal name for that color is "diaper content"

Old 09-17-24, 07:08 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AJT123

Without it and regulations we'd have an updated and enlarged UR V8 of massive size and power, or maybe even a new generation V8 with a supercharger.

You know half or more of Toyota engineers lovvvvve the 5.7. It's a contender for best truck V8 of all time easily.
I actually would squarely blame Toyota. They had a TTV8 ready to go, it no doubt would have had great emissions qualities, far better mpg and honestly since it's a V8 it likely would get better real world MPG since it wouldn't need to reach into boost much
Old 09-17-24, 07:09 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123

Toyota had a manufacturing defect with their cleaning process, so the issues with the 3.5tt is not the design, it’s the manufacturing. . That said, turbochargers suck as it’s just one more fail point when in comes to longevity. Add in a coolant system for the turbos and you have more long term replacement concerns. Add in hybrid components and you have a battery that will eventually fail, coolants that need to be swapped out. The Tundra even has a starter that is separate from the hybrid system for cold weather starting. Talk about extra cost. I still would trust the Tundra over a Ford, or Dodge, but I think the GM twins are great.

all that said, the 5.7 is gem. Careful what you wish for lol.
Old 09-17-24, 07:14 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
Toyota had a manufacturing defect with their cleaning process, so the issues with the 3.5tt is not the design, it’s the manufacturing. . That said, turbochargers suck as it’s just one more fail point when in comes to longevity. Add in a coolant system for the turbos and you have more long term replacement concerns. Add in hybrid components and you have a battery that will eventually fail, coolants that need to be swapped out. The Tundra even has a starter that is separate from the hybrid system for cold weather starting. Talk about extra cost. I still would trust the Tundra over a Ford, or Dodge, but I think the GM twins are great.

all that said, the 5.7 is gem. Careful what you wish for lol.
2018-2024 model years all have a manufacturing defect? Damn, that's a hell of a defect, one might almost call it a design flaw......
Old 09-17-24, 07:15 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker223
2018-2024 model years all have a manufacturing defect? Damn, that's a hell of a defect, one might almost call it a design flaw......
The issue is only for 2022-2023 Tundras and some LX600 models. About a 100K units

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 09-17-24 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Ly

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 2