Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 2

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-24, 07:51 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
Nice. This was one of the reasons I avoided the M-Sport package on my car. I wanted to be able to rotate the tires.
Give me staggered tires all day long even just for the looks alone. All of my cars I have owned in a long time have staggered tires. Surprisingly I’ve had decent enough wear on my tires where it didn’t affect it too much where I felt that i should move to a square setup.
Old 09-19-24, 08:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
I don’t understand the obsession with gas prices
Drive enough miles, and you will.
Old 09-19-24, 08:06 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,276 Likes on 1,774 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
Give me staggered tires all day long even just for the looks alone. All of my cars I have owned in a long time have staggered tires. Surprisingly I’ve had decent enough wear on my tires where it didn’t affect it too much where I felt that i should move to a square setup.
Oh yeah, not just looks, but handling as well. I can't rotate my tires on the Polestar because of bigger directional rims, and my summer tires lasted 30k
Old 09-19-24, 08:12 PM
Oro
Pole Position

Received 461 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I filled up the GS this week and also paid over $5 a gallon. I'm glad I don't drive that much!
LoL, you should live in Washington… Oh, I see you do.

Welcome to the Hurt Locker (on everything). My car insurance rate just went up 40%, because I have a A) spotless driving record, B) Every discount imaginable, C) live in Washington.

But I live in Gig Harbor, the highest property-theft city in it’s metropolitan statistical area (MSA) in the US. (Same for Tacoma). Gig Harbor. Let that sink in. This was a sleepy, pleasant place 20 years ago. I’ve started a local petition to change the name from “The Maritime City,” to “This used to be a Great Place to Live.” No, really, I have.

Old 09-19-24, 08:16 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Oro
LoL, you should live in Washington… Oh, I see you do.

Welcome to the Hurt Locker (on everything). My car insurance rate just went up 40%, because I have a A) spotless driving record, B) Every discount imaginable, C) live in Washington.

But I live in Gig Harbor, the highest property-theft city in it’s metropolitan statistical area (MSA) in the US. (Same for Tacoma). Gig Harbor. Let that sink in. This was a sleepy, pleasant place 20 years ago. I’ve started a local petition to change the name from “The Maritime City,” to “This used to be a Great Place to Live.” No, really, I have.
Haha join the club 😁
Old 09-19-24, 08:34 PM
Oro
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
the Costco nearby is currently at $3.49 for regular and $3.94 for premium.

Local Costco gas prices here (WA) are $3.91 regular, $4.52 for premium. I wish I lived somewhere like CA where gas prices were cheaper…

Also, Costco is not the cheapest around. Fred Meyer is. I shop on Fridays (4x fuel discount bonus), and get about a $1/gallon discount on one fill up per month. Makes it somewhat justifiable.

qq
Old 09-19-24, 08:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Oro

Also, Costco is not the cheapest around. Fred Meyer is. I shop on Fridays (4x fuel discount bonus), and get about a $1/gallon discount on one fill up per month. Makes it somewhat justifiable.
...but are they Top-Tier fuels? Costco Wholesale is, but Fred Meyer is not. If not, you may have to spend periodically spend money on fuel-system cleaning because of the lack of detergent-cleaner in the fuel. Non-Top-Tier brands are often cheaper for a reason.

If you want the advantages of Top-Tier fuel, use a brand from this list.............

https://www.toptiergas.com/gasoline-brands/

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-19-24 at 08:44 PM.
Old 09-19-24, 08:43 PM
Oro
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Haha join the club 😁
Yeah I guess we did.

Where in Ca are you/is it so bad all over?
Old 09-19-24, 08:51 PM
Oro
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
...but are they Top-Tier fuels? If not, you may have to spend periodically spend money on fuel-system cleaning because of their lack of detergent-cleaner in the fuel. Non-Top-Tier brands are often cheaper for a reason.

If you want the advantages of Top-Tier fuel, use a brand from this list.............

https://www.toptiergas.com/gasoline-brands/
In my many-car, many-mile, decade+ experiment: “Top Tier” (and yes they all are) is nonsense if it is not PEA. And as far as I know, only Chevron gas is PEA (polyether amine) additive from the pump.

What i do is buy “top tier” gas and add a 5oz bottle of Gumout Regane HM (or Techron) every 3/3,5k miles and get the same effect. Peak mileage, low cost. I’ve run a multi car, over a decade study on this, found this to be the key approach.

”Top Tier” is relatively meaningless - it dictates that you add detergents to the pump content. It does not dictate how effective or high-tech those detergents are. Meaningless. PEA as an additive is in a class by itself - totally unique chemical mechanism of action, not a typical micelle forming “detergent” at all.

I am not an inorganic or petrochemical chemist. But I am highly trained in basic chemistry and then organic chemistry. I can follow professional chemical arguments in petroleum chemistry for the most part. PEA is something unique; if your “Top Tier” gas doesn't have it, welcome to the 1980s. You are that far behind.
Old 09-19-24, 09:14 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Oro
Yeah I guess we did.

Where in Ca are you/is it so bad all over?
I'm in Northern California, it's generally more expensive out here. SoCal, gas is more expensive
Old 09-19-24, 09:24 PM
Oro
Pole Position

I'm in Northern California, it's generally more expensive out here. SoCal, gas is more expensive
I bought a GS awd last week (off a family member; knew the car). Going to run from here to South Lake Tahoe in mid-December for fun. Great drive from here. I’m an ex-professional skier; I’m going to ski a few days at Heavenly, but I’m doing it for the drive.
Old 09-19-24, 09:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,777 Likes on 1,984 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Sounds like maybe a toe or camber/alignment problem. Did you hit any bad potholes or curbs? One thing that constantly annoys me on the D.C.-area roads is that the manhole covers are often sunk by several inches, creating a pothole-effect when you run over them. Do that enough times and the alignment can be affected.
No, they’re just crappy tires. Alignment is fine.

Originally Posted by AJT123
Not like this, and that's not true.
Literally happens every year. It’s because of reduced demand coupled with the switch to cheaper winter blend fuels. It’s steeper a little this year because of falling crude prices that has been happening all year, and economic slowdowns worldwide.

Last edited by SW17LS; 09-19-24 at 09:53 PM.
Old 09-19-24, 09:44 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Oro
I bought a GS awd last week (off a family member; knew the car). Going to run from here to South Lake Tahoe in mid-December for fun. Great drive from here. I’m an ex-professional skier; I’m going to ski a few days at Heavenly, but I’m doing it for the drive.
Beautiful drive to Tahoe, we were on the Nevada side last summer
Old 09-19-24, 09:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,777 Likes on 1,984 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
I like the look of the staggered tires, but not the limitations on tire options.

Interesting that fhe 19s for the 222 are staggered and rhe 223 aren’t. The 20s are staggered.
Old 09-19-24, 10:12 PM
Oro
Pole Position

Beautiful drive to Tahoe, we were on the Nevada side last summer
I’m already salivating for this drive. Down 5 to Salem, then off interstates and over to Bend, then south to Reno before S. Lake Tahoe. I LOVE driving around the west - I grew up in the upper South, early adult life on the east coast. I did live several years along VT Route 100 with a powerful Audi; good times were had by all. I love sailing boats on the ocean, or getting a good car out into the western desert and/or mountains. It’s like injecting freedom and beauty into your veins.

Last edited by Oro; 09-19-24 at 10:15 PM.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 2