Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-24, 11:18 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
If I owned an LC500 I'd definitely daily it.
Uh yeah.

In other news, meh in person. I still like it though. The insides of these are no friggin joke.

Old 10-03-24, 11:21 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
while I considered the LC500 as my next car because I love the design of it and overall it seems to be a great car, I’m worried I would grow tired of it. So as of today, B58 will be my next car. Turbo noises and boost never grows old to me!!
Yes....join us. The B58 is amazing. I also still love a great V8 though. I'd probably be in an m550i if I had any faith in BMW's N63 V8 engine to not cost a fortune in repairs.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
which model with a b58?
My money is on either a Supra or an M240i.
Old 10-03-24, 11:49 AM
BayeauxLex
Racer

Received 199 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

given your preferences, why do you rent a model 3?

you're definitely not alone in that. it's a control thing.

which model with a b58?

looks more like it was used for late night uber rides with people throwing up in it and abusing it.
They are cheaper to “fill up” and this time my brother wants to experience riding in a Tesla. Add in the fact we are going to where gas is almost $6/gallon.

If I owned an LC500 I'd definitely daily it.
Same!!

Yes....join us. The B58 is amazing. I also still love a great V8 though. I'd probably be in an m550i if I had any faith in BMW's N63 V8 engine to not cost a fortune in repairs.

My eyes are solely set on the Supra. I’m researching which year is better/easier to mod. I’m thinking DP, intake, flex fuel + tune should put it around 500-600whp without having to build the transmission. That’s plenty for a fun daily. The goal is to not track it but I can’t make any promises. 🫣 Also may go aftermarket wheels eventually and a rear spoiler.
Old 10-03-24, 12:02 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

It’s quite staggering to see how people are with cars. I was a management trainee at a rental car company (not Enterprise because I failed their psych test lol) and it was amazing to see how trashed some of the cars were upon return and it would be like a 3 day rental. I always charged people for it and got paid commission on the penalties but I usually was the guy cleaning up the mess and getting my J Garcia tie sucked into the business end of the vacuum hose (this all happened in 1994).

When my 4 month old IS250 would not start due to dead battery, Longo flatbedded it and the service writer called me and commented on how clean the car was. I said I just got it 4 months ago. He said lots of cars come in and they are even newer and the interiors are trashed.
Old 10-03-24, 12:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by link13
It’s quite staggering to see how people are with cars. I was a management trainee at a rental car company (not Enterprise because I failed their psych test lol) and it was amazing to see how trashed some of the cars were upon return and it would be like a 3 day rental. I always charged people for it and got paid commission on the penalties but I usually was the guy cleaning up the mess and getting my J Garcia tie sucked into the business end of the vacuum hose (this all happened in 1994).

When my 4 month old IS250 would not start due to dead battery, Longo flatbedded it and the service writer called me and commented on how clean the car was. I said I just got it 4 months ago. He said lots of cars come in and they are even newer and the interiors are trashed.

I don't know if you are married and/or a parent or not, but that's often what kids do to the insides of vehicles....especially those old enough to not need rigidly-attached child-seats anymore. Sometimes that's the same with dogs and cats...particularly if they are shedding hair.
Old 10-03-24, 12:13 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

I have extreme faith in the N63 to feed me 9-12k at least twice a year lol!
Old 10-03-24, 12:16 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don't know if you are married and/or a parent or not, but that's often what kids do to the insides of vehicles....especially those old enough to not need rigidly-attached child-seats anymore. Sometimes that's the same with dogs and cats...particularly if they are shedding hair.
Purely a discipline issue. I was taught really early not to do stupid things like that and I've never ruined it dirtied a car like that nor have many other kids in my family on both sides.

Pets can be kept in a cage or trained to not move when in car. My aunt has two dogs who never so much as think of standing up when placed in cars
Old 10-03-24, 12:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,777 Likes on 1,984 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Purely a discipline issue. I was taught really early not to do stupid things like that and I've never ruined it dirtied a car like that nor have many other kids in my family on both sides.
Spoken by someone who has no children lol
Old 10-03-24, 12:25 PM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 317 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I only have one, but I agree with Striker in concept, if not in pure absolutism. While I can't say mine never made a mess in the car (I can't even make that claim about myself as an adult), it was by no means a common occurrence.
Old 10-03-24, 12:32 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,030 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Come on friend, you'd never let your car get like that. Lol

That filth didn't happen in a week. 😂
More like years.

And, drivers seat wasn't any better. Lol
Old 10-03-24, 12:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
I only have one, but I agree with Striker in concept, if not in pure absolutism. While I can't say mine never made a mess in the car (I can't even make that claim about myself as an adult), it was by no means a common occurrence.
Much easier with one, and there is a difference between what that Hyundai he has looks like and "a mess". Our van doesn't get like that, but the floor has crumbs and fries and tracked in mud and there are foot marks on the backs of the seats, the dog sits up front and that seat gets dirty and has to be cleaned. I clean it out well inside every other week or so to keep it as nice as I can, but if I NEVER cleaned it, it would look like that.

Originally Posted by Margate330
Come on friend, you'd never let your car get like that. Lol

That filth didn't happen in a week. 😂
More like years.

And, drivers seat wasn't any better. Lol
The van gets pretty dirty inside. I don't let it get like that, but it takes work.
Old 10-03-24, 12:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

This is about 1.5 weeks since the last wash. This is actually very clean inside for that time period

Old 10-03-24, 01:06 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 250 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by link13

hang on we're gonna need this expanded upon lmao
Old 10-03-24, 01:57 PM
Carfan94
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Nope, just a typical owner....
Yep I work at a car dealership and that Sonata is a lot closer to the norm than many on here would believe. And some of them are only two years old looking like that. Often with 4 odd crappy tires.

I keep my car pretty clean. But I have to vacuum and dust it every week. The driver footwell is constantly getting dirty with leaves and such.
Old 10-03-24, 02:00 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

I am guilty of dirty interiors. Exterior, no...

It would take 2 seconds to minorly detail the inside of the Mercedes but I just don't do it. I need to put the really expensive leather cleaner I have on the seats.

FWIW about Mercedes seats I have a friend who is massively obese to where he can't even really fit into smaller cars, it always looks awkward and I'm sure is ungodly uncomfortable, but he said the SL seats are the most comfortable he can remember. We don't talk about his weight, etc. etc. so it was something that stuck in my head..

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 2