Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-24, 08:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,777 Likes on 1,984 Posts

They don’t eat in my car lol. Van is fair game.
Old 10-03-24, 08:26 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,628 Likes on 1,039 Posts

Our cars stay pretty clean, despite the kids. Now when they were younger and in full car seats, yeah, that was more of a challenge. Fish crackers to be able to make it home ended up on the floor, gummy snacks, occasional vomit, etc. My kids are now 9 and 12 and, while the Highlander gets the brunt of it, the truck (Tundra) and car (GS) stay pretty clean. Well, the Tundra gets hairy when I take the dog, but we deal.
Old 10-03-24, 08:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Ours are 9 now also and it’s way better than it was when they were younger.
Old 10-03-24, 09:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Carfan94
I remember eating McDonald’s all the time in my mom’s Isuzu Rodeo. And cereal on the way to school with my mom speeding to try to get me there on time. That thing was pretty nasty at trade-in time! the interior was never properly cleaned.
No offense, but, from what I can recall, the Rodeo's interior (and that of its rebadged-sister Honda Passport) wasn't much to write home about in the first place, even when it was clean. It was a relatively simple, truck-based SUV designed primarily for off-roading, not necessarily for impressing people inside.
Old 10-04-24, 04:23 AM
Carfan94
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No offense, but, from what I can recall, the Rodeo's interior (and that of its rebadged-sister Honda Passport) wasn't much to write home about in the first place, even when it was clean. It was a relatively simple, truck-based SUV designed primarily for off-roading, not necessarily for impressing people inside.

Ours looked like this inside. All hard plastic no padding anywhere except the seats! My mom didn’t care. It got us from A to point B for six years. And she thought it was cute and sporty.

She did have a subwoofer and a CD player installed in it though, because of course the base Sound system was pretty crappy.
Old 10-04-24, 06:15 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The Isuzu Rodeo was exactly what it was supposed to be inside lol
Old 10-04-24, 06:58 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The Isuzu Rodeo was exactly what it was supposed to be inside lol
new Land Cruiser base model with circle headlights is exactly like that. 99% all hard plastic aside from the steering wheel that is leather wrapped. No soft touch anywhere
Old 10-04-24, 07:24 AM
Carfan94
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That Rodeo was basic, manual everything and the steering wheel didn’t adjust it was fixed! You had to roll down the windows to adjust the mirrors. There was no reading lights just one dome light with no delay.

Only the drivers sun visor had a mirror. And only the passenger seat had a seat back pocket. No rear seat armrest or air vents. But it did have an ashtray! And some nice flip out cup holders on the back of the center console which was handy.

My brothers first car was a 1993 Trooper which we had at the same time as that Rodeo. The Trooper was much smoother and quieter than the Rodeo on rough roads despite being 6 years older. And of course the engine sounded much better versus the Rodeos crappy 4cylinder.
Old 10-04-24, 08:36 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I saw my first new LC in the wild yesterday downtown, hard to tell it from the GX from the back and side. Looked good. I'm also starting to see a lot of GXs around.

Drove some real miles on the new tires this morning, worthwhile improvement.
Old 10-04-24, 08:38 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
hang on we're gonna need this expanded upon lmao
I don’t recall details of the test because it was 30 years ago. It was a psychological profile test and it did conclude that I am not ideally suited for customer service work (it’s a good test). Dollar did not have such a test and I was not great at it. We had several international customers and my coworkers didn’t want to deal with them. I was eager to help because they all needed to buy liability insurance and the damage waiver. Those were sales that I got spiffs for plus I got a percentage of the whole contract. They were longer term rentals so that ended up being pretty good. Two or three of those a month and I made more than I would if I had done a lot of insurance replacement rentals. I would then volunteer to pick up cars with the fleet drivers to avoid the counter.

If I was unsuccessful and was in the office, I would punish them by giving them the crapiest car we had. Hmm, the Corollas are reserved, but if you give me a second, I can override on this Cavalier for you. Override was overriding the out of service status usually indicating that the car was over mileage for service in the fleet and was heading for auction, but I made it seem like I was doing them a favor. When we had a Sedan DeVille, we would have burnout contests behind the building in the soapy water from washing cars. I was the champion! Gotta power brake those front wheel drive V8s
Old 10-04-24, 08:52 AM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by link13
I don’t recall details of the test because it was 30 years ago. It was a psychological profile test and it did conclude that I am not ideally suited for customer service work (it’s a good test). Dollar did not have such a test and I was not great at it. We had several international customers and my coworkers didn’t want to deal with them. I was eager to help because they all needed to buy liability insurance and the damage waiver. Those were sales that I got spiffs for plus I got a percentage of the whole contract. They were longer term rentals so that ended up being pretty good. Two or three of those a month and I made more than I would if I had done a lot of insurance replacement rentals. I would then volunteer to pick up cars with the fleet drivers to avoid the counter.

If I was unsuccessful and was in the office, I would punish them by giving them the crapiest car we had. Hmm, the Corollas are reserved, but if you give me a second, I can override on this Cavalier for you. Override was overriding the out of service status usually indicating that the car was over mileage for service in the fleet and was heading for auction, but I made it seem like I was doing them a favor. When we had a Sedan DeVille, we would have burnout contests behind the building in the soapy water from washing cars. I was the champion! Gotta power brake those front wheel drive V8s
This was before we had cameras everywhere.
Old 10-04-24, 09:48 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by SC300Es
Very true. Definitely wouldn’t do that now.
Old 10-04-24, 10:25 AM
1111GS
Forum Moderator

Received 98 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Unless you’re with those families all the time you’re not seeing the whole picture. It’s just kids being kids. Kids are not neat and tidy. Throw in an 80lb dog who sheds white fur in the front seat and your cars not staying clean.
As for isolating them, why do you think I have a minivan lol. When they get into my car though literally you drive 2 miles and it’s destroyed!
The dog... yes. The kids... no. We can't really blame them for their doings. Parents are part of the problems too.
Old 10-04-24, 11:40 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,030 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by SC300Es
Those were the good old days. Lol

For the record, a VW Rabbit will do burn outs if you have bald tires. Haha
Spoiler

Old 10-04-24, 11:41 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 317 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
Those were the good old days. Lol

For the record, a VW Rabbit will do burn outs if you have bald tires. Haha
And if you don't have bald tires, you can get it to lift the inside rear tire in a sharp corner.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 2