Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-24, 12:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,777 Likes on 1,984 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS
The dog... yes. The kids... no. We can't really blame them for their doings. Parents are part of the problems too.
You're saying you can put 5 year olds in a car and have them eat and the cars stays clean?
Old 10-04-24, 12:40 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by link13
I don’t recall details of the test because it was 30 years ago. It was a psychological profile test and it did conclude that I am not ideally suited for customer service work (it’s a good test). Dollar did not have such a test and I was not great at it. We had several international customers and my coworkers didn’t want to deal with them. I was eager to help because they all needed to buy liability insurance and the damage waiver. Those were sales that I got spiffs for plus I got a percentage of the whole contract. They were longer term rentals so that ended up being pretty good. Two or three of those a month and I made more than I would if I had done a lot of insurance replacement rentals. I would then volunteer to pick up cars with the fleet drivers to avoid the counter.

If I was unsuccessful and was in the office, I would punish them by giving them the crapiest car we had. Hmm, the Corollas are reserved, but if you give me a second, I can override on this Cavalier for you. Override was overriding the out of service status usually indicating that the car was over mileage for service in the fleet and was heading for auction, but I made it seem like I was doing them a favor. When we had a Sedan DeVille, we would have burnout contests behind the building in the soapy water from washing cars. I was the champion! Gotta power brake those front wheel drive V8s
Hah! What year???
Old 10-04-24, 01:37 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 250 Likes on 189 Posts

just finally filled up for the first time since getting back from VA, tank average dropped to about 28 mpg overall after over a week of local driving... i normally fill up a bit earlier than this but really wanted to get to 500+ miles on this tank haha

anyone ever go farther than this on a single tank? it's rare i see 500+ miles myself but i had the head start from the long initial drive, and with working remotely i can typically cherry pick the good times to take the car out
Old 10-04-24, 01:43 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 64 Posts

no idea what this model. I’d get the license plate Casper if it were mine
Old 10-04-24, 01:48 PM
Carfan94
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Rolls Royce Wraith? Those wheels are hideous!
Old 10-04-24, 01:49 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
I only figured you didn’t like driving your Lexus because you said you filled it up for the first time in the last 2 to 3 months. so I just appears to me that you don’t drive it very often filling it once in a while
i drive it at least once a week. as you know, i have another car for work.

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
If I owned an LC500 I'd definitely daily it.
good for you. the lc500 isn't good for my work.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Spoken by someone who has no children lol
there are solutions:
Amazon Amazon

and google's helpful info.

yeah of course i'm kidding, and before you say it, yeah, i don't have kids.

No offense, but until you have kids yourself you’re not going to get it. Life with kids is very hectic, you eat in the car etc. The days of being able to keep your car pristine inside are over. Throw in a dog on top of that, and it is what it is. Kids are just not clean. They drop food, they track stuff in, they leave cups and drinks and stuff in the car.
If they didn’t eat in the car they wouldn’t eat. They’re always on the go somewhere and there isn’t any other option but to eat in the car.
i think many kids today are overcommitted by schools and parents... sometimes they need to just chill. if kids have to regularly eat meals in a car, yeah, my opinion, they're overcommitted.

and seems simple to me that the kids get to quickly vacuum the car when they get home for an allowance 'bonus' or deduction for not doing it, or gain/lose dinner, screen time (easy with electronic parental controls), etc.

It’s the same way in a house, kids play they bring out toys etc.
again, hey kids, you get dinner when the toys are put away, thanks.

I said all the same stuff before I had kids and I had no idea what I was talking about either.
it's true most parents get ground down and worn out by the kids and give up.

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
My coworker bought a brand new truck, loaded with every box ticked. He said he didn’t let his kids eat in his truck. They either ate inside of the restaurant or sat on the tailgate and had their dinner. His truck now is hovering close to 330k miles and the interior still looks immaculate.
exactly.

Got the S580 back with the new tires on it, nice improvement. ...
Was the improvement worth the $1,500 cost? I mean...probably not but I'm a weirdo lol.
The difference a good set of tires makes is huge. Its more subtle when the tires are new...but you'll be blown away when you do finally replace those.
trying to reconcile all this. certainly true that ANY set of new tires are going to make a huge difference over old tires.

i'd like new tires for the lc500 but at only 8500 mi. i won't shell out to replace them yet.

Sometimes you have to give in especially on long roadtrips to keep the kids happy and the parents sane.
my 15 yr old nephew visited for 10 days recently. i told him point blank no food in the bedroom (because of bad results with prior visits of other nephews).
i still found bottle caps under the bed, and food wrappers etc. in other parts of the house. definitely not my kid, but i let it go, knowing the time would end.
Old 10-04-24, 02:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
My coworker bought a brand new truck, loaded with every box ticked. He said he didn’t let his kids eat in his truck. They either ate inside of the restaurant or sat on the tailgate and had their dinner. His truck now is hovering close to 330k miles and the interior still looks immaculate.

Sure, but he's sitting still while all of that happened and thats time my wife just doesn't have. Its prioritizing the cleanliness of a vehicle over whats convenient and that just isn't worth it to us, The car can be cleaned, its not a big deal. Its just a car.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
https://www.amazon.com/Fun-Costumes-.../dp/B07ZBQ3KXB

and google's helpful info.

yeah of course i'm kidding, and before you say it, yeah, i don't have kids.
Don't tempt me LOL

I think many kids today are overcommitted by schools and parents... sometimes they need to just chill. if kids have to regularly eat meals in a car, yeah, my opinion, they're overcommitted.
This is 100% true. We try and keep them just chilling as much as possible. But, they have things they like to do and the easiest way to feed them at least a couple days a week is in the car.

and seems simple to me that the kids get to quickly vacuum the car when they get home for an allowance 'bonus' or deduction for not doing it, or gain/lose dinner, screen time (easy with electronic parental controls), etc.
The car still gets messy though, thats just whats done to clean up the mess. The point is, young kids aren't tidy.

trying to reconcile all this. certainly true that ANY set of new tires are going to make a huge difference over old tires.

i'd like new tires for the lc500 but at only 8500 mi. i won't shell out to replace them yet.
The difference for me is not huge because the tires I am replacing are new. When tires are worn the difference is huge.
Old 10-04-24, 03:01 PM
Carfan94
Advanced

At the end of the day stain removers and shampooers still exist and leather can be easily wiped clean versus cloth.
Old 10-04-24, 03:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Sure, but he's sitting still while all of that happened and thats time my wife just doesn't have. Its prioritizing the cleanliness of a vehicle over whats convenient and that just isn't worth it to us, The car can be cleaned, its not a big deal. Its just a car.
Dodge/Chrysler minivans once had an excellent idea for dealing with that problem....the built-in vacuum-cleaners. Unfortunately, though, as also with the equally-brilliant idea of the built-in pull-down child seats, we don't see them any more. (Yes, I know, the built-in-child seats supposedly disappeared because of stricter DOT regulations today, but they were still a superb idea for the time).
Old 10-04-24, 03:09 PM
Carfan94
Advanced

Honda also had the built in vacuum cleaner. In fact it was the first to have it.
Old 10-04-24, 03:14 PM
BayeauxLex
Racer

Received 199 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by SC300Es
This was before we had cameras everywhere.
Originally Posted by link13
Very true. Definitely wouldn’t do that now.
When I used to valet, I scrubbed in a customer’s 350z tires doing donuts in the parking lot to the point there was so much smoke you couldn’t see the car according to my coworker who watched. Then I parked it where there’s a blind spot of the cameras in the lot. The next day my manager walked me to the crime scene and asked me if knew anything about the #8 in tire marks in the parking lot. I no clue and went back to work. He was a nice guy.

This is 100% true. We try and keep them just chilling as much as possible. But, they have things they like to do and the easiest way to feed them at least a couple days a week is in the car.

The car still gets messy though, thats just whats done to clean up the mess. The point is, young kids aren't tidy.
Maybe he should’ve let the kids have a snack in the truck. Him and his wife are now divorced. However he still has his truck!! 333k miles and he told me he has no plans of getting rid of it.
Old 10-04-24, 04:29 PM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Received 815 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by Carfan94
Honda also had the built in vacuum cleaner. In fact it was the first to have it.
My Ody has the HondaVac in the back. It's a nice to have but it's not all that powerful and bags are pricey
Old 10-04-24, 04:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Dodge/Chrysler minivans once had an excellent idea for dealing with that problem....the built-in vacuum-cleaners. Unfortunately, though, as also with the equally-brilliant idea of the built-in pull-down child seats, we don't see them any more. (Yes, I know, the built-in-child seats supposedly disappeared because of stricter DOT regulations today, but they were still a superb idea for the time).
Chrysler still has the vacuum, the hybrid just doesn’t have it. Both of our gas Pacificas had it. Neat idea but not that powerful and we hardly ever used it.
Old 10-04-24, 05:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Carfan94

Chrysler still has the vacuum, the hybrid just doesn’t have it. Both of our gas Pacificas had it. Neat idea but not that powerful and we hardly ever used it.

OK, good to hear that. I thought they had dropped the built-in vacuum.

Anyhow, I agree it is not as powerful as the big coin-operated vacuums at car washes and gas stations.
Old 10-04-24, 06:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Or your home vacuum.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 2