Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-24, 10:35 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,030 Likes on 814 Posts

A newer Ford Fusion is a better choice for a college person because young people drive a lot of miles.

Small, economical, and good on gas.

​​​​​​.
Old 10-06-24, 10:47 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 106 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
A newer Ford Fusion is a better choice for a college person because young people drive a lot of miles.

Small, economical, and good on gas.

​​​​​​.
I couldn't afford one when I was in college. I had like $1,000 and maybe $400/month in take-home pay. But it was a great car when I finished school and started my professional career. Ran it for a few years until I took care of some financial priorities and then bought my F-150.

Old Yesterday, 01:35 AM
Lwerewolf
Racer

Received 256 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Oh we know what it would do, we have the TTV6 to show us.
We also have a 2.0t & 2.4t. And with diesels, a 4.5t (VD) and a 3.3t (F33A) (90deg. Hot V6). Funnily enough, no similar issues, way more widespread.

Re: your case of GS vs. whatever things - I've had mine for 108k mi (175k km-ish) and the "big ticket" item that I've done is a complete battery module swap (~$2k), the transmission input damper is probably next ($1k-ish? parts + time). Since we're talking VAG, pretty much everybody that I know with an A6 (and a couple of non-2.0/1.9tdi A4s) has had his fair share of fuel system (diesels) issues, belt or preventative chain replacements (a chain snapping on a Toyota/Lexus over here is, for all intents and purposes, practically unheard of), various oil and coolant leaks, the occasional "this interior electric thing doesn't work". Rest of ze germans tend to be similar (MB) or generally worse (BMW).

Those are my anecdotes.
Old Yesterday, 02:30 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 471 Likes on 293 Posts

When I was in university in the UK, an old lady I was looking after sold me her late husband's car which was sitting in their garage for 5 years.
I offered her 800 US dollars for it and she accepted ( she felt sorry for me I guess, for walking a few miles every week to deliver her groceries )

It was a manual Peugeot 205 GTi, what a car!
Old Yesterday, 07:44 AM
Carfan94
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
The EA888 is a pile of junk and I've said as much many times, what Lexus do you have though that supposedly drives better?
It’s 2010 GS 350 RWD. Unfortunately the E888 is all Vw has those days. The VR6 was much better.
Old Yesterday, 08:00 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 64 Posts

saw this stunning gem today.
Old Yesterday, 08:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill

Yes, that does look good.....especially since those 80s-vintage 4Runners, like the compact trucks they were based on, were notorious for rust. But the powertrains ran forever.
Old Yesterday, 09:11 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 106 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill

What's he doing in the left lane? I don't believe any 22R has ever passed anybody.
Old Yesterday, 09:15 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 64 Posts

He was doing legit 85MPH.
Old Yesterday, 09:54 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Forum Moderator

Received 817 Likes on 571 Posts

If you haven't uninstalled FB yet, it's now time. Zuckerberg had a custom Cayenne Turbo GT minivan made.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a6...-for-his-wife/

Old Yesterday, 10:48 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,030 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
If you haven't uninstalled FB yet, it's now time. Zuckerberg had a custom Cayenne Turbo GT minivan made.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a6...-for-his-wife/

I like wagons but ummm that looks ridiculous. Lol
Old Yesterday, 12:07 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 250 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
I like wagons but ummm that looks ridiculous. Lol
my first thought after seeing this was of a dachshund

honestly i dig it! everything's so homogenous and all cars basically blend together these days i appreciate a unique (albeit hideous) creation like this... although i still think mankind should be ashamed with itself for creating the dachshund lol
Old Yesterday, 12:09 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 250 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by designo
It was a manual Peugeot 205 GTi, what a car!
that's dope... you're always posting such low volume special production cars i wouldn't be surprised if you have a 205 T16 sitting around somewhere!
Old Yesterday, 12:59 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
We're dealing with a lot of anecdotal experience here, I suspect the aggregate statistics wouldn't bear out the Germans being more reliable and cheaper to own(though BMW is certainly improving on this front since the B48/58 engines came out.

Additionally, very few people don't buy a used car and then replace every conceivable wear item to bring it back to factory new. Most people buy a used car, drive it for 5-6 years, have stuff fixed as it breaks, and then move on to the next used car.

I think where older Lexuses can become untenable is the fact that they're often bought by people with low budgets looking for a nice car for the money. Now you've got a car with 100k+ miles and 10-20 years on it and you're getting to take care of the big ticket repairs that the prior owners probably didn't. I was this buyer. I paid $3200 for my 92 LS400 when I was a broke college student. When the AC compressor died and then the timing belt skipped a tooth the next year, I was looking at having to spend $2-3k to keep a car worth $1500 at best on the road. I only had $1,000 to my name at the time. That put a bitter taste in my mouth for luxury car ownership for many years. It was pretty much my fault for buying a car that I could afford to buy but not to own. I dumped it as/is for $1k and borrowed another LS400 from my parents until I finished school and bought my Fusion.

This time around I bought a much newer luxury car and made sure I had enough money to essentially buy the car again if I had to.
Fair, I do indeed replace all wear items when I get a car to avoid unexpected issues. I was just stunned just how much that entailed on the Lexus cars
Old Yesterday, 01:00 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Audis aren’t more reliable than Lexuses. You do your own work and pay no labor and go in when you get a car and do a ton of preventive maintenance and preemptive replacements most people don’t do. It’s MUCH more expensive for a normal owner to keep an old Audi running.
Sure but I still keep track of parts costs and labor hours for the sake of my metrics, the Lexus cars took more from me. And yes, I'm strange in the sense that I do replace all the wear items but I don't want 1. Issues randomly happening and 2. I want the car to match its as new performance testing

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 2