Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 2

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:28 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
I sat in a new LC with close seats, no roof, manual rear hatch, bare bones and the sticker was $58k. Salesman showed me an allocation for one with leather, power rear hatch amongst other packages for $70k.
I sat in one today too. The early 1990s Prados were like this. We have a lot of imported 1980 and 1990 Prados where I am. This is exactly how they are offered. So I see why they offer it. The cloth is very 80s.

the only thing that is soft touch is the leather wrapped steering wheel. Full time 4WD with centre and rear locking diffs. Takes premium fuel. A true throwback

Last edited by Toys4RJill; Today at 01:00 AM.
Old Yesterday, 07:31 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 241 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Yes, correct. Less was wrong and I spent less on all 3 than just the LS430 and on my D4 I replaced the whole front suspension as well just because I wanted to feel it on fully new arms.
An LS430 cost more to maintain than three German 12 cylinder vehicles combined?
Old Yesterday, 07:44 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
An LS430 cost more to maintain than three German 12 cylinder vehicles combined?
Correct, look up cost for cam seals and upper oil pan in terms of labor hours, and look up how much Lexus control arms and lower front ball joints are vs Lemforder complete front end component kit.

The LS cost me more money and time and needed more repairs than all three of them combined. I still liked it and I still just lived with it but I know have 3/4 the amount of miles I put on it on my D4 W12 and it's literally not had a single thing have an issue this whole time. The LS460 also once I fixed it the first massive go around has given us 30k without anything at all going wrong, the 430 tested me every 10k or so.

The low mile 430 I have is currently requesting a water pump and other issues, keep in mind the pump was done less than 2k miles back at Lexus.

Parts are also WAY more on the Lexus cars and it's near impossible to find the OEMs for common wear items and god help you if you have air suspension. None of my Lexus cars had it because of all the issues and massively expensive cost of parts.

My Germans can be rebagged and compressors rebuilt with kits for $120-200 if something goes, but I've seen many many of these cars exceed 200k on all stock stuff. I can't rebuild a Lexus strut, there is no service I can ship them to to rebuild them, and brand new ones are $250 more a corner. Even my coil spring LS460 cost me more on new struts due to leaks than it would have cost me to buy new air for my 4.0 A8, it just costs more to run an LS for the same issues.

The problem will occur when you get bent by a dealer or shop who knows they can charge insane money because you have a German car. If a shop actually shows you the book times the LSs have higher times than most of their rivals and man let me tell you those numbers are a lie. The brands that always screw me the most on book time are Ford, Toyota, and Lexus.
Old Yesterday, 07:52 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 296 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Yep. And they're slow AF.
Ha made me laugh when I read this.
Old Today, 12:26 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 241 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
Ha made me laugh when I read this.
I mean, they are lol. Over 8 seconds 0-60 which is unacceptable these days.

You can't pass effortlessly, etc. with a vehicle that slow these days either.