Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 2

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-24, 07:39 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,777 Likes on 1,984 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
The Palisade we rented a few weeks ago worked really well. There's a threshold in the brake pedal travel (like the kickdown on the accelerator, but higher) that determines whether or not it engages. If you hold the brake pedal above this point, the car rolls as soon as you release it. Push it past that point--either during the initial stop or later when you decide you're going to be sitting awhile--and auto hold engages.
Yep, very similar to MB.

The way I describe MB's application is like a golf cart. If you push in sharp on the brake pedal, it locks.
Old 08-16-24, 08:04 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

I don’t recall ever using brake hold in my 2016 IS, but it’s been 5 years. The Civic has a button behind the shifter. It does automatically deactivate when you turn off the ignition. I don’t use brake hold in freeway traffic because when it activates in start/stop traffic, it makes for a jerky ride. I like the feature in some situations but I would gladly trade it for blind spot monitoring. Americans like to merge into your blind spot and hover there, so BSM is quite nice to have.

What I disliked about engine start/stop in the rentals I had was both required you to go through the computer menus to deactivate it. If it had simply been a button, I would have been fine with it. Engine start/stop was the most minor thing to dislike about the Citroen CUV. It was truly terrible in every way, but the engine really thrashed back to life if I hadn’t turned off start/stop. The Hyundai Kona was a much better vehicle overall and if engine start/stop was active, the restart was noticeable but it was much smoother than the Citroen.

I’ve said it before but I just don’t like the driving dynamics (if you can even call it that) of CUVs. They are high cars with big tires and I would prefer the non high car version of the platform in every case so far.
Old 08-16-24, 08:11 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Originally I really didn’t like it and much preferred how the brake hold on the Lexuses worked.

Then I got used to it and now it’s annoying when another car wants to hold the brake every time I stop.

So overall I prefer being able to decide when I want it to hold the brake and when I don’t.
I can’t decide if I like this feature or not.

Also,. I like the idea of the auto parking brake. But you have to hit the gas to start moving.

Just give us back the column shifter please.

I also miss the old GM “ding ding ding” bell, though it’s long gone for good reason. Turn signals and beeps sound like something out of a very, very expensive car now.
Old 08-16-24, 08:13 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,777 Likes on 1,984 Posts

I LOVE brake hold. Its one of my favorite features in a car.
Old 08-16-24, 08:14 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I LOVE brake hold. It’one of my favorite features in a car.
I still LOVVVVVVVE the capless filler.
Old 08-16-24, 08:16 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS
As some call, this is "set and forget". Many find this convenient while others find it inconvenient and prefer the MB's way. I think they all have a point. As for "set and forget" set up, I find it inconvenient going into/out my garage. I slow down to a stop and it activates the Auto Hold then I have to press the gas to move. I'm sure you are fine but this can prompt some collision if the driver accidentally presses too hard. I myself don't like having to press the gas pedal so I turn it off before going into/out garage. It's much easier to just have one foot on gas pedal and inch in/out. For this reason, MB's way is more convenient. When on the road, I prefer "set and forget". But some prefer MB's way. It's "on demand" as Steve describes. I don't remember exactly how Lexus' works. From your saying, it sounds like "set and forget." Does it automatically switch to Park when on "too long"?
This is exactly how I feel. I like the set and forget aspect of BMWs implementation when driving but when pulling in my garage I always have to turn it off. I also turn it off after I drive because I don't want my wife pulling in the garage with it on because I could see her hitting the steps in front of the garage space if the brake hold engages when she is inching in and hits the gas to disengage it.
Old 08-16-24, 08:27 AM
Carfan94
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Not sure how I feel about brake hold. I’ve only used it on a 3rd Gen Rav4 with hill start assist. It’s nice to use on a steep hill. But I kinda like the car to creep forward when I take my foot off the brake. One thing I hated about my RX 350 was how quickly it would role back on hills when switching from brake to accelerator.

I do however like the auto parking brakes on new cars. Versus the clunky foot pedal type in my GS. It won’t hold the car on a hill unless I push the pedal down REALLY hard.
Old 08-16-24, 08:40 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,030 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123

I also miss the old GM “ding ding ding” bell, though it’s long gone for good reason. Turn signals and beeps sound like something out of a very, very expensive car now.
Y'all don't laugh but I yank out the door chime in almost every car I've owned.

Drives me crazy.
Ding dong... Ding dong... Ding dong....
Old 08-16-24, 08:45 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Margate330
Y'all don't laugh but I yank out the door chime in almost every car I've owned.

Drives me crazy.
Ding dong... Ding dong... Ding dong....
Is that something you have to have coded off?
Old 08-16-24, 09:05 AM
link13
Lead Lap

My car does Some weird things. I get that, when I leave it running and get out of the car with the FOB in my pocket that it goes a bit bezerk because it can’t detect the FOB. I don’t get why it goes bezerk after I shut it off and get out. I’m sure there’s a reason. I just don’t care enough to sort it out.
Old 08-16-24, 09:19 AM
Carfan94
Advanced

Originally Posted by link13
My car does Some weird things. I get that, when I leave it running and get out of the car with the FOB in my pocket that it goes a bit bezerk because it can’t detect the FOB. I don’t get why it goes bezerk after I shut it off and get out. I’m sure there’s a reason. I just don’t care enough to sort it out.
It wants to let you know you left the car running and you might to shut off before leaving your car unattended . All cars do that.
Old 08-16-24, 09:25 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Carfan94
It wants to let you know you left the car running and you might to shut off before leaving your car unattended . All cars do that.
It does that, which I get. What I don’t get is, I shut it off and I am out, but it still gives the same beeps. No doors are open. No windows are down, but it wouldn’t ping on that anyway. I’m talking about when it’s not running and still does an alert. No idea why. Again, I stated in my post that I know exactly why it beeps if I leave it running. I do this for less than 30 seconds to open or close my gate at the house. I completely get it. I don’t get that when I park the car, it’s off, and I am about to lock it, what that alert is supposed to mean.
Old 08-16-24, 09:33 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,030 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Is that something you have to have coded off?
My RX330 is old school.

My door chime was a small box and I just unplugged it and tossed it deep six. Lol
Old 08-16-24, 10:49 AM
Carfan94
Advanced

Originally Posted by link13
It does that, which I get. What I don’t get is, I shut it off and I am out, but it still gives the same beeps. No doors are open. No windows are down, but it wouldn’t ping on that anyway. I’m talking about when it’s not running and still does an alert. No idea why. Again, I stated in my post that I know exactly why it beeps if I leave it running. I do this for less than 30 seconds to open or close my gate at the house. I completely get it. I don’t get that when I park the car, it’s off, and I am about to lock it, what that alert is supposed to mean.
Yaeh I have no idea what’s going on off if it does that when the car is off.

Originally Posted by Margate330
My RX330 is old school.

My door chime was a small box and I just unplugged it and tossed it deep six. Lol
The RX 330 has such a pleasant sounding chime…
Old 08-16-24, 12:26 PM
1111GS
Forum Moderator

Received 98 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
This is exactly how I feel. I like the set and forget aspect of BMWs implementation when driving but when pulling in my garage I always have to turn it off. I also turn it off after I drive because I don't want my wife pulling in the garage with it on because I could see her hitting the steps in front of the garage space if the brake hold engages when she is inching in and hits the gas to disengage it.
Oh yes, for the wife for the win. She was like... "what did you do? It feels so much better now. I was worried that I would hit the gas pedal too much and end up in the dry wall." Lol

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 2