Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 2

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-24, 07:49 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,276 Likes on 1,774 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Not quite actually, for a lawsuit to happen there has to be harm to a party....so if they kept everything internal and no harm came of it then it's technically legal and I'm sure they are still doing the same behaviors internally. Plus as you can see where you live cops can just pull a warrant and tow your car off for "evidence" if it was near a crime to pull whatever info they can off it. That's comical that you can be inconvenienced that badly just for being somewhere
We'll just have to disagree on this issue, there's really nothing gained by employees looking at Tesla camera footage except getting fired.

California is extremely tough when it comes to police seizing evidence, in fact too tough IMO. They can't even search your car without probable cause unless you committed a crime. They can't tow your car without a warrant unless you've been arrested. Personally l have nothing to hide, if they ask me to search my car, I would let them, although I probably shouldn't
Old 09-06-24, 08:10 AM
Carfan94
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786

I don't believe all four cylinders are bad, they have their place, what I hate is the downsizing going on in the industry, which I've been seeing since 2014 and accelerate after 2018
The 2012 A6 had the 2.0T as an entry level engine. The 5 series went 4 cyl. Maybe in 2014? There was even a GS 350 commercial mocking the 4 cylinders in the competition and the front wheel drive A6. That commercial has aged like fine milk.
Old 09-06-24, 08:32 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,777 Likes on 1,984 Posts

It can be forced out of you extremely easily, any data on your car is not yours and they can and do sell/use t however they want. That's why I have cars with removed modems so there is no longer any chance of an external link.
Oh please lol. Nobody cares what you're doing and nobody wants to spy on you...me either. If somebody really wants to look at a video of me driving to the grocery store, they can have at it.

I doubt they will ever be rolled back, they have only gotten stricter since the 70's, not loosened. I didn't even realize it was happening until 2018 when I was looking to buy an Accord Sport V6, and found out they were dropped for the 2.0L turbo. Now the Accord is a 1.5L...with a CVT LoL . BTW my Sienna was in for service a couple of weeks back, and my mechanic told me a few 11th Gen Accords have been coming in to his shop with blown head gaskets, some with as little as 15k on them. Probably from tuning. The 3.5L was bulletproof.

Emissions standards are only going to get stricter, save this page for the future. Run out and buy an M3 or M4 Comp while you can!
Standards aren't going to be rolled back, carmakers will adapt and create attractive cars that adhere to the regulations. Like they always have.

As for the Land Cruiser, you can say "truck buyers don't want that" but yet they will sell every single one of those they can make...so...people want it.

Toyota's MO is hybrids and fuel economy, its a huge part of their selling proposition and if you want a vehicle like that and you don't want that...buy a Bronco...or a Wrangler...or upgrade to the GX...
Old 09-06-24, 08:44 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Oh please lol. Nobody cares what you're doing and nobody wants to spy on you...me either. If somebody really wants to look at a video of me driving to the grocery store, they can have at it.

Standards aren't going to be rolled back, carmakers will adapt and create attractive cars that adhere to the regulations. Like they always have.

As for the Land Cruiser, you can say "truck buyers don't want that" but yet they will sell every single one of those they can make...so...people want it.

Toyota's MO is hybrids and fuel economy, its a huge part of their selling proposition and if you want a vehicle like that and you don't want that...buy a Bronco...or a Wrangler...or upgrade to the GX...
Exactly...and exactly! 🤣
Old 09-06-24, 08:48 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Carfan94
The 2012 A6 had the 2.0T as an entry level engine. The 5 series went 4 cyl. Maybe in 2014? There was even a GS 350 commercial mocking the 4 cylinders in the competition and the front wheel drive A6. That commercial has aged like fine milk.
I'm sure that didn't age well 🤣

Again, I was a bit tired and grumpy last night and took it out on poor 4 cylinders . I'm all for entry level four cylinders, most people, especially those on a budget who need to spend less on gas and need an economical car won't care. In fact most people probably don't and won't care. My reasons for not wanting a four cylinder are completely different. And, I really hate the downsizing, but it is what it is and people will just have to adapt, or keep their older cars longer
Old 09-06-24, 09:15 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 317 Likes on 244 Posts

I'm sure that didn't age well 🤣
It wasn't even all that great the first time it aired, as the base model car they chose to represent "You are feeling POWERFUL with a FOUR cylinder engine", also at the time had an available (and immensely popular) turbo six, and not one but two twin-turbo V8s, topping out at nearly double the GS350's power output.

Then less than a year later, the GS200t was launched, with a 4 cylinder making less power than the car they mocked. Whoops.
Old 09-06-24, 09:33 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by geko29
It wasn't even all that great the first time it aired, as the base model car they chose to represent "You are feeling POWERFUL with a FOUR cylinder engine", also at the time had an available (and immensely popular) turbo six, and not one but two twin-turbo V8s, topping out at nearly double the GS350's power output.

Then less than a year later, the GS200t was launched, with a 4 cylinder making less power than the car they mocked. Whoops.
Whoops

My friend has a 2022 IS300 with the 2.0t, and it is so underwhelming, to say the least
Old 09-06-24, 10:20 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Thats Lexus for ya!
Old 09-06-24, 10:21 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a6...video-footage/

Reference for earlier
Old 09-06-24, 10:29 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

All they have to do is ask for the USB drive LoL. Going through the article quickly, this is the media making a mountain out of a molehill as usual. How many Tesla did they tow...one or a thousand? Probably one or two, and if they did it with a court order, the crime was probably something like Murder and maybe the Tesla owner committed the crime. You also have to assume Sentry was turned on and the crime happened close enough to trigger it. If Sentry is not turned on, then you have zero video footage. It's the same thing if you had security cameras or a Ring doorbell and crime took place in front of or near your house...the police would request the footage or get a court order.
Old 09-06-24, 11:29 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

I drove the 10th Gen Accord Sport with the 2.0L (been there, done that 🤣 ), and you are correct, it's extremely smooth and is actually faster than the V6 it replaced.

That said, the 3.5L in the Accord was still a better feeling engine, IMO
This is what I’m always saying. Who gives a F if the 4cyl turbo is faster? That versus a sweet VTEC Honda V6?

It’s not all about numbers.

This post isn’t directed to you or anyone, just in general.

It’s like the new 4 cylinder SL. It definitely performs and would slaughter my old V8 but everyone hates it that tests it. It has NOT been well received.

SL and Accord are obviously polar opposites but it is still the same thing.
Old 09-06-24, 12:18 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AJT123
This is what I’m always saying. Who gives a F if the 4cyl turbo is faster? That versus a sweet VTEC Honda V6?

It’s like the new 4 cylinder SL. It definitely performs and would slaughter my old V8 but everyone hates it that tests it. It has NOT been well received.

It's not about speed either for me, but refinement. When I went from a Camry SE V6 to a more powerful Civic Si (3.3L V6, 205 HP VS 1.5L Turbo, 255 HP to the wheels tuned), I felt the Camry was so much better. I tried to adjust, but ended up selling it a year later and bought an IS350 Sport. Not the fastest car on the block, but extremely refined 3.5L V6. I would have kept it, but it was just sitting collecting dust after getting my Polestar, which is on another level. So I understand where you are coming from. But if you want a complete package, refinement, performance etc., I would seriously look into an M2, M3, or M4 Comp, RWD or AWD, doesn't matter. That 3.0L T I6 with the 8 speed is on another level
Old 09-06-24, 12:33 PM
BayeauxLex
Racer

Received 199 Likes on 170 Posts

Many thoughts on here about 4 cylinders is exactly how I feel about anything less than an 8, just nah. V6s are so painfully mid and intolerable, only I-6s get a pass with me lol!

The type R is just comical, so overpriced for what you get vs if you bought a real car in that price range but I guess it IS the ultimate boy racer/hot econo box so it gets halo status and the perks therein.
Whats a real car in that price range?

There are good and lackluster 4 cylinders, particularly if we're talking about performance. The Camry's I4 is efficient and dead nuts reliable, but about as boring as they come. Honda's 2.0T is an absolute beast, way quicker than the V6 it replaced, and super fun to drive. It's also quite reliable if you don't try to get 600hp out of a stock bottom end.
THIS‼️

Originally Posted by AJT123

LOL you were just complaining about the new Land Cruiser lackluster 0-60 and mpg #s
Old 09-06-24, 12:41 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
Whats a real car in that price range?

THIS‼️

LOL you were just complaining about the new Land Cruiser lackluster 0-60 and mpg #s
I think the Type R is just awesome. I thought it was a regular Civic until I drove it. I wouldn't buy one and I don't particularly like the styling, but it's actually functional and well thought out. @Striker223 no boy racer drives the Type R, trust me, a "boy" can't afford that car
Old 09-06-24, 01:07 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

My 2019 Civic Sport Touring is too boy racer looking for my taste and putting red wheels on it means I get challenged to race a lot, but with 180 hp and clogged roads, I ignore that crap. I would only burn gasoline to get my *** handed to me lol. For the Type R, in my opinion, it’s a home run for Honda. It’s a fun performance vehicle and it may be the last one they ever offer in a form that is not an SUV or CUV.

Both of my cars are 4 bangers now. The smoothest engine in a car that I’ve owned was the 2JZ-GE in the GS300.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 2