Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 2

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-24, 01:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,777 Likes on 1,984 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
This is what I’m always saying. Who gives a F if the 4cyl turbo is faster? That versus a sweet VTEC Honda V6?

It’s not all about numbers.

This post isn’t directed to you or anyone, just in general.

It’s like the new 4 cylinder SL. It definitely performs and would slaughter my old V8 but everyone hates it that tests it. It has NOT been well received.

SL and Accord are obviously polar opposites but it is still the same thing.
Nobody who buys an Accord cares about 4cyl vs V6. You can't have it both ways, you can't say the new LC is terrible because of 0-60 times but then say the 4 cyl isn't better than the V6 because of its quicker 0-60 time. It either matters or it doesn't.

The 4 cyl Accord and the 4 cyl SL are totally different things. 4 cyl SL is a total joke and is received as such, hardly anybody buys them and dealers can't give them away. One is an economical family sedan, the other is a sport luxury convertible. No high end Mercedes should have a 4 cyl.
Old 09-06-24, 01:52 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,276 Likes on 1,774 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Nobody who buys an Accord cares about 4cyl vs V6. You can't have it both ways, you can't say the new LC is terrible because of 0-60 times but then say the 4 cyl isn't better than the V6 because of its quicker 0-60 time. It either matters or it doesn't.

The 4 cyl Accord and the 4 cyl SL are totally different things. 4 cyl SL is a total joke and is received as such, hardly anybody buys them and dealers can't give them away. One is an economical family sedan, the other is a sport luxury convertible. No high end Mercedes should have a 4 cyl.
Absolutely, you hit it on the head. As far as Honda is concerned, nobody but enthusiasts cared when Honda dropped the V6 from the Accord, which I understand was not a big seller anyway, so the market made that decision. It still makes me sad

On another note, I was at my mechanics today getting my tires rotated on my Y (he charges $30, Tesla charges $60 😆 ) and I saw a Honda engine being delivered. Another blown Honda engine, this time a Civic with less than 15k on it

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 09-06-24 at 02:16 PM.
Old 09-06-24, 02:14 PM
1111GS
Forum Moderator

Received 98 Likes on 86 Posts

It's their business. It's their call. 4 or 6 is up to them. If they offer 4, you bet they did their homework and see potential customers. If LX can have a smaller engine and people buy, MB is no different.
Old 09-06-24, 03:46 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS

Huh? LC is terrible. Over 8 seconds 0-60. I’m talking about an 4cylinder Accord that had a 5.5 second 0-60 time versus 5.8ish when it had a sweeeeet VTEC V6. I’ll take the drag strip penalty. I owned an Acura TL manual with a J-series and it was a monster as long as you kept the revs up and the engine was smooth and refined as silk. It sounded fantastic too, I disagree with most on here that say 6s can’t sound good. They’re not as good as V8s, of course not.

No Mercedes period should have a 4 cylinder engine except the cheapest cheapest ones. Do you have SL sales figures, I can’t find any?

Old 09-06-24, 03:49 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,628 Likes on 1,039 Posts

New Land Cruiser with a 4 cylinder hybrid is still faster than a Bronco with a TT V6 at least.

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2...n-test-review/
Old 09-06-24, 04:08 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
New Land Cruiser with a 4 cylinder hybrid is still faster than a Bronco with a TT V6 at least.

Bronco is way too slow, too. We both could dust these with just a stab to wake the 5.7 up, not that I care about racing.
Old 09-06-24, 04:09 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I think the Type R is just awesome. I thought it was a regular Civic until I drove it. I wouldn't buy one and I don't particularly like the styling, but it's actually functional and well thought out. @Striker223 no boy racer drives the Type R, trust me, a "boy" can't afford that car
I drove one, massively unimpressed vs a cheaper manual V8 car or any other car in its price range. You can get an S4 for what they ask for a civic and almost an RS3.....just not worth it to have such a cheap car experience for THAT much. To put it in perspective a 2.0T A4 is a more capable car for the price and WAY nicer inside and build quality wise.

But it's a dream car for a certain type of people and the Honda halo car
Old 09-06-24, 04:38 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Striker223
I drove one, massively unimpressed vs a cheaper manual V8 car or any other car in its price range. You can get an S4 for what they ask for a civic and almost an RS3.....just not worth it to have such a cheap car experience for THAT much. To put it in perspective a 2.0T A4 is a more capable car for the price and WAY nicer inside and build quality wise.

Don't compare it to a V8 dude. It's also not in the same class as an A4, which is more luxury. Anyway it's not a car I would ever buy, but I admire it for what it is, and the engineering that went into it. I almost couldn't tell it was fwd
Old 09-06-24, 04:45 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

And one more thing... Toyota hasn't made anything that can touch this car. And don't say the Supra... that's a BMW as far as I'm concerned
Old 09-06-24, 05:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,777 Likes on 1,984 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Huh? LC is terrible. Over 8 seconds 0-60. I’m talking about an 4cylinder Accord that had a 5.5 second 0-60 time versus 5.8ish when it had a sweeeeet VTEC V6. I’ll take the drag strip penalty. I owned an Acura TL manual with a J-series and it was a monster as long as you kept the revs up and the engine was smooth and refined as silk. It sounded fantastic too, I disagree with most on here that say 6s can’t sound good. They’re not as good as V8s, of course not.

No Mercedes period should have a 4 cylinder engine except the cheapest cheapest ones. Do you have SL sales figures, I can’t find any?
You say the LC is terrible, but do you have any doubt they will sell every one they make?

You would take the V6 Accord no doubt, but you're not a new Accord consumer so that doesn't matter. These vehicles aren't designed for you and thats okay.

The 4cyl in the C300 loaner I had felt great. It also feels great in the GLC. Doesn't belong in an E Class or GLE or above. CLA, GLA, GLB, all make sense with the 4 cyl. Those shouldn't exist at all but it is what it is.
Old 09-06-24, 06:02 PM
BayeauxLex
Racer

Received 199 Likes on 170 Posts

Double post

Last edited by BayeauxLex; 09-06-24 at 06:06 PM.
Old 09-06-24, 06:05 PM
BayeauxLex
Racer

Received 199 Likes on 170 Posts

🤨 Maybe I need to read up on the 2.0 A4.

You should attend a road course track day. I think you would be surprised. A RS3 is an impressive car. It also cost mid $60s. S4s seem to start at mid $50k. My Honda was $38k.

Honda halo car is NSX to many. I track many times a year and I never see an A4 or RS3 on track. I see A4s on the street

One of my wife best friends had an Audi A4 recently. Her motor blew. Don’t know the full details other than she had little over 100k miles. Now she drives an Aspec TLX. I’m no mechanic but Audis aren’t known to be the most reliable vehicle on the road.

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Don't compare it to a V8 dude. It's also not in the same class as an A4, which is more luxury. Anyway it's not a car I would ever buy, but I admire it for what it is, and the engineering that went into it. I almost couldn't tell it was fwd
On track my lines are similar to an AWD car. Does it understeer when pushed hard? Yes but quick unwinding the wheels and throttle makes it goes away pretty quick.

I’ve seen Porsche (GT3 RS) guys walk up to my friends 450hp Evo 8 trying to see “what all he got done to it” to see why he can’t keep up with it on track. I’ve met and are buddies with GT4, Viper, C6 Z06, GT3 owners who I’ve met on track because they are impressed with how well the Type R handles on track.
At the end of the day it’s a 4 cylinder with a little turbo with a body kit and a wing. Interior looks like your neighbor’s Civic Touring sport
Old 09-06-24, 06:26 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
🤨 Maybe I need to read up on the 2.0 A4.

You should attend a road course track day. I think you would be surprised. A RS3 is an impressive car. It also cost mid $60s. S4s seem to start at mid $50k. My Honda was $38k.

Honda halo car is NSX to many. I track many times a year and I never see an A4 or RS3 on track. I see A4s on the street

One of my wife best friends had an Audi A4 recently. Her motor blew. Don’t know the full details other than she had little over 100k miles. Now she drives an Aspec TLX. I’m no mechanic but Audis aren’t known to be the most reliable vehicle on the road.

On track my lines are similar to an AWD car. Does it understeer when pushed hard? Yes but quick unwinding the wheels and throttle makes it goes away pretty quick.

I’ve seen Porsche (GT3 RS) guys walk up to my friends 450hp Evo 8 trying to see “what all he got done to it” to see why he can’t keep up with it on track. I’ve met and are buddies with GT4, Viper, C6 Z06, GT3 owners who I’ve met on track because they are impressed with how well the Type R handles on track.
At the end of the day it’s a 4 cylinder with a little turbo with a body kit and a wing. Interior looks like your neighbor’s Civic Touring sport
That's all I wanted to say. It's one of the best four cylinder cars and competes well on the track. And Chris Harris loves it 😀
Old 09-06-24, 06:37 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 732 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76

So unless I’m missing, something the article switches the times for the Bronco and LC between the main body text and the table at the end. So hard to say which is actually faster. Regardless, the Bronco still won the overall test.
Old 09-06-24, 06:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,660 Posts

It can be forced out of you extremely easily, any data on your car is not yours and they can and do sell/use t however they want. That's why I have cars with removed modems so there is no longer any chance of an external link.

My days and metrics are mine thanks. If you want them pay me for them, same reason I run a local VM on network that does literally nothing but randomly watch YouTube and click random sites to generate so much useless noise metrics on me make no sense
wow, paranoia much? a lot of effort to attempt to outsmart google etc.

at some point, unless you want to drive ancient cars you'll have no choice but to comply.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 2