Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 2

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-24, 08:04 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,777 Likes on 1,984 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Nevermind, the joke flopped
I got the joke lol, and you're right.

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
In your case like I stated earlier, you have a Mercedes. When we had a Mercedes we followed the maintenance to a T while under warranty and before the warranty ran out, I dumped it for an Acura. I will add this, I would probably do 5k intervals on a boosted engine but all of my vehicles minus 2 are NA so they get the 10k interval. When I boost my 5.7 I may drop down to 5k intervals. Look at this pic. This from Toyota.com on when I should change oil in my truck. So who should I trust?
But we have provided examples of and the CCN video was about a NA Toyota engine that required a big repair that it wouldn't have required with 5k OCIs. Thats the point, its not just Mercedes...modern Toyota engines are a lot more like the engine in my Mercedes than they are the NA V8 in your car.

In the case of my Lexus mechanic who gave me the same advice years ago as CCN put in his video the advice to go to 5k OCIs was not blanket advice, it was advice for that specific engine. Since he has a lot of experience dealing with that engine and seeing it age and the issues that it has relative to the maintenance that was performed why would I not listen to him? Also remember that Lexus originally specified 5K OCIs with that engine before they started using synthetic, and even had a bulletin out that said even when using synthetic to not extend OCIs, then they all of a sudden come out and say "do 10k OCIs"...who do you believe then? The same people have two opinions...then there is "lifetime fluid" what is a lifetime? Can I put 600k miles on the same fluid? No mechanic would suggest you do that. Then there are brake actuator failures that are held off by doing much more frequent drains and exchanges of brake fluids on LS460s...thats another area where mechanics have learned from experience that the factory maintenance schedule is not sufficient.

Maintenance schedules from the manufacturer are a balance to make the vehicle appear easy to maintain yet still have it provide reliable service for a "lifespan". If you want to keep the car for as long as possible, I would not stick to just that maintenance schedule, I would listen to people who have experience like all of us and experienced mechanics.

Last edited by SW17LS; 09-10-24 at 08:08 AM.
Old 09-10-24, 08:21 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS

But we have provided examples of and the CCN video was about a NA Toyota engine that required a big repair that it wouldn't have required with 5k OCIs. Thats the point, its not just Mercedes...modern Toyota engines are a lot more like the engine in my Mercedes than they are the NA V8 in your car.

In the case of my Lexus mechanic who gave me the same advice years ago as CCN put in his video the advice to go to 5k OCIs was not blanket advice, it was advice for that specific engine. Since he has a lot of experience dealing with that engine and seeing it age and the issues that it has relative to the maintenance that was performed why would I not listen to him? Also remember that Lexus originally specified 5K OCIs with that engine before they started using synthetic, and even had a bulletin out that said even when using synthetic to not extend OCIs, then they all of a sudden come out and say "do 10k OCIs"...who do you believe then? The same people have two opinions...then there is "lifetime fluid" what is a lifetime? Can I put 600k miles on the same fluid? No mechanic would suggest you do that. Then there are brake actuator failures that are held off by doing much more frequent drains and exchanges of brake fluids on LS460s...thats another area where mechanics have learned from experience that the factory maintenance schedule is not sufficient.

Maintenance schedules from the manufacturer are a balance to make the vehicle appear easy to maintain yet still have it provide reliable service for a "lifespan". If you want to keep the car for as long as possible, I would not stick to just that maintenance schedule, I would listen to people who have experience like all of us and experienced mechanics.
Amen, as you said the BIGGEST red flag to me was that the 07 cars had a different maintenance requirement with later cars having no mechanical changes that were all of the sudden somehow okay running 2x the intervals. That tells me that marketing overruled engineering. You are also very right that the 2UR and 1UR and WAY more advanced than the 3UR and much closer to the Germans in many ways
Old 09-10-24, 08:55 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,276 Likes on 1,774 Posts

I'm glad somebody got it 🤣
Old 09-10-24, 08:56 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

I'm glad somebody got it 🤣
I did too after reading again and actually having caffeine and my laptop now, lol.

You're probably right lol.
Old 09-10-24, 09:00 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AJT123
I did too after reading again and actually having caffeine and my laptop now, lol.

You're probably right lol.
At least you have a good sense of humor Glad your laptop is now back and working
Old 09-10-24, 09:02 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,628 Likes on 1,039 Posts

I love seeing these older cars on BaT. A 1987 Acura Legend, 5 speed, with less than 21k miles on it.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1987-acura-legend-5/

Old 09-10-24, 09:21 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JDR76
I love seeing these older cars on BaT. A 1987 Acura Legend, 5 speed, with less than 21k miles on it.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1987-acura-legend-5/

I love these older cars, they bring back nostalgia, but when you drive them, you realize they just don't drive as good as their modern counterparts. That's my experience at least
Old 09-10-24, 09:51 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_ClKb_rj6o

Can the grill get any bigger? Jesus that's just stupid looking
that's why you get one in black.

But in my case the 10k OCIs didn't work for me, because I had clogged oil separators that caused a valve cover gasket leak at 50k miles.
what was the recommended OCI?

I love these older cars, they bring back nostalgia, but when you drive them, you realize they just don't drive as good as their modern counterparts. That's my experience at least
definitely... they're never as good as we 'remember'. examples are noisier, rougher, less room, etc.

on that legend though, i still love how honda made cars with tall side glass (low belt line) vs. today's overall market tanks with slit like windows and giant slabs for doors.
Old 09-10-24, 10:39 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,030 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

on that legend though, i still love how honda made cars with tall side glass (low belt line) vs. today's overall market tanks with slit like windows and giant slabs for doors.
Add, with big wheels and cement low gloss paint colors. Lol
I think these fads might stick around a few years, people like it.🤓
Old 09-10-24, 10:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
Add, with big wheels and cement low gloss paint colors. Lol
I think these fads might stick around a few years, people like it.🤓

Yeah, I just don't get this ongoing fad with big wheels and low-profile tires. IMO, they not only look silly, but, in many cases, ride like **** over bumps, and are more susceptible to damage from potholes and road-debris.
Old 09-10-24, 10:52 AM
LH1
Instructor

Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yeah, I just don't get this ongoing fad with big wheels and low-profile tires. IMO, they not only look silly, but, in many cases, ride like **** over bumps, and are more susceptible to damage from potholes and road-debris.
I don't either. I would rather my car came with 18's from the factory. That's plenty big enough.

Old 09-10-24, 10:52 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That Legend is awesome!

t
what was the recommended OCI?
Old 09-10-24, 12:17 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

I was commuting to work today and wanted to pass a Pacifica but couldn't because an S580 was matching its speed in the left lane.
Old 09-10-24, 12:33 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

definitely... they're never as good as we 'remember'. examples are noisier, rougher, less room, etc.
My first real car was a 1986 VW GTI, 1.8L with a 5 speed manual, black. No power steering, no power windows, no AC . Everything was manual except power brakes. I loved that car, it was fun to drive, pretty fuel efficient and was fast for it's time. Jump forward 37 years, one of my co workers has the exact GTI. He keeps it in great shape and has kept it fully maintained. Not sure if it still has the original engine and trans, but couldn't wait to take it out for a spin. After the initial excitement wore off, it was kind of like playing a video game from my Nintendo days...I got bored really quickly and realized there was no way I could daily drive this thing. Got back to the office, thanked him for letting me take out for a spin, and never looked back
Old 09-10-24, 12:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
I was commuting to work today and wanted to pass a Pacifica but couldn't because an S580 was matching its speed in the left lane.
My wife and I like to get out and goof on people LOL

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 2