Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 2

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-24, 05:52 PM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 317 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I'm pretty sure with the 48V system it doesn't drop oil PSI to zero, thats one of the benefits over the start/stop on 12v systems.
It would depend on whether the oil pump is mechanical or electrical. If it’s mechanical, then there’s definitely no oil pressure when the engine is off. If it’s electrical then it would be dependent on programming. I haven’t studied the newer engines so I couldn’t say.
Old 09-10-24, 05:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,777 Likes on 1,984 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
the actual mechanism itself is super smooth... it's like prius levels of seamlessness with how the engine fires up, i'm just talking about the delay from when you take your foot off the brake

a simple (or maybe not so simple lol) software optimization would be enough to make things right
Yeah I have found mine is really immediate...

One thing that is annoying, is when its off if you are on an incline and you take your foot off it will roll back a little when the engine is off...kind of like a manual.
Old 09-10-24, 05:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
It would depend on whether the oil pump is mechanical or electrical. If it’s mechanical, then there’s definitely no oil pressure when the engine is off. If it’s electrical then it would be dependent on programming. I haven’t studied the newer engines so I couldn’t say.
Its electric in the 48v system cars, not mechanical.
Old 09-10-24, 05:54 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,276 Likes on 1,774 Posts

At all, no way to turn it off even temporarily. Thats how the ICE 7 Series are
On my friends M4 Comp it worked so well, I had no desire to turn it off. Zero lag. I think it may disable it when you use M mode, I'll ask my friend
Old 09-10-24, 05:54 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

The new BMWs you actually cannot turn it off...
That's why I'm glad I got one of the earlier G30's. I can turn it off permanently.

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
I drive faster than that pulling a trailer.
Same.

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
@AJT123 Is really Cleetus McFarland

Nothing but bald eagles 🦅🦅HELL YEAH BROTHER!!
His ratio of foreign cars to domestic doesn't fit the Cleetus profile lol. Ole Cleet just has GM and Ford stuff everywhere. IDK if he even still has that 911 Turbo S around since it was his wife's car and she got a Tahoe after having kids.
Old 09-10-24, 05:57 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 250 Likes on 189 Posts

Yeah I have found mine is really immediate...

One thing that is annoying, is when its off if you are on an incline and you take your foot off it will roll back a little when the engine is off...kind of like a manual.
if you come to a full stop like at a red light or something, give that extra tap of the brake to activate the 'hold' feature and then just get going again by tapping the gas it has no delay... but for like a rolling stop or in very slow traffic it can stumble for a moment every so often

also if the car just waited to cut the engine until you actually stopped vs cutting the engine at 5 mph or so it would alleviate basically all i'm complaining about lol
Old 09-10-24, 05:59 PM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 317 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
On my friends M4 Comp it worked so well, I had no desire to turn it off. Zero lag. I think it may disable it when you use M mode, I'll ask my friend
It’s configurable in the M1/M2 modes. Now I can’t see someone configuring one of those for Sport+ everything, TC off and *** enabled, but you could technically do that if you were so inclined.

Humorously enough, my manual doesn’t do this. If you’re on more than the very slightest incline, it auto-holds for about 2 seconds. If it’s basically flat but there’s the slightest slope (think 0.5 degrees) it will roll slowly.

Last edited by geko29; 09-10-24 at 06:02 PM.
Old 09-10-24, 06:02 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I actually leave mine on. It's so smooth I don't almost don't notice it shutting off but for the tachometer dropping to 0.
Old 09-10-24, 06:04 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by geko29
It’s configurable in the M1/M2 modes. Now I can’t see someone configuring one of those for Sport+ everything, TC off and *** enabled, but you could technically do that if you were so inclined.

Humorously enough, my manual doesn’t do this. If you’re on more than the very slightest incline, it auto-holds for about 2 seconds. If it’s basically flat but there’s the slightest slope (think 0.5 degrees) it will roll slowly.
I guess I don't have to ask him now
Old 09-10-24, 06:06 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
I actually leave mine on. It's so smooth I don't almost don't notice it shutting off but for the tachometer dropping to 0.
I didn't even notice it, and no lag taking off. I wouldn't disable it either, it works really well
Old 09-10-24, 08:06 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

Its rounding. I always take a picture like that at the end of every trip, the S580 gets better mileage than the S560 for sure..
Ok, well you said repeatedly you got 30MPG in the old one at least on my threads talking about my HWY MPG.

Sure he doesn't lol. If your friend hates the 48v system on his he is as strangely biased against it as you are. I own the car, there is zero difference. The powertrain operates exactly the same.
What part of this don't you get??? Maybe he doesn't like nor want electric motors or hybrid assist either and was fine with pure ICE and 4.2 seconds to 60 from a V8 and a V8 only.

Not everyone wants batteries or hybrid assist powering their cars, be it mild or major. Why can't you get that? Just because you disagree strongly and have reasoning doesn't mean we're wrong. My friend and I both hate the (now dead) EV push, while you can't stop beaming about them. We fundamentally disagree on politics we can't get into.

People can have different tastes and opinions.

Of course there is a button, the button in the W222 is not right with the ignition its on the console, the button for the W223 is right below the ignition. Hitting the button every time is obnoxious.
It's obnoxious to hit a button right below the start button? I mean, I hate it too but it's not that big of a deal. I have to reach to the left to turn the GMC's off. It's just like hitting a memory seat button or whatever, but if it bothers you, yeah get rid of it.
Old 09-10-24, 08:08 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

I'm pretty sure with the 48V system it doesn't drop oil PSI to zero, thats one of the benefits over the start/stop on 12v systems.
If the engine is off you have no oil psi.....unless there is an electric pump that can move enough oil to maintain pressure I'm not aware of.

EDIT: according to my parts lookup the M176 has a mechanical pump so engine off means zero oil psi.

Last edited by Striker223; 09-10-24 at 08:11 PM.
Old 09-10-24, 08:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
What part of this don't you get??? Maybe he doesn't like nor want electric motors or hybrid assist either and was fine with pure ICE and 4.2 seconds to 60 from a V8 and a V8 only.

Not everyone wants batteries or hybrid assist powering their cars, be it mild or major. Why can't you get that? Just because you disagree strongly and have reasoning doesn't mean we're wrong. My friend and I both hate the (now dead) EV push, while you can't stop beaming about them. We fundamentally disagree on politics we can't get into.[/quite]

People can have different tastes and opinions.
I “don’t get it” because it makes no difference. You have never driven either car so you don’t know but there is no difference, it’s 100% in your head. If you drove each car with your eyes closed you wouldn’t know which powertrain you were driving. This is all just anti EV nonsense lol.

If he didn’t want the system he shouldn’t have bought the car. He doesn’t actually care, you care.

Cars for me aren’t political.
Old 09-10-24, 08:40 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
That average speed though.
I think your joke went over some people’s heads LOL
Old 09-10-24, 09:32 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion