Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 2

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-24, 09:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,777 Likes on 1,984 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
I think your joke went over some people’s heads LOL
Nope, I got it too lol
Old 09-10-24, 10:48 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,030 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
I actually leave mine on. It's so smooth I don't almost don't notice it shutting off but for the tachometer dropping to 0.
Is your AC compressor electric?
So you don't feel a temp difference from the vents when engine cuts off?
​​​​​
Old 09-11-24, 12:19 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
Is your AC compressor electric?
So you don't feel a temp difference from the vents when engine cuts off?
​​​​​
It's a normal belt driven compressor. If there's enough of a temp differential between what I have it set to and what it is inside, it won't shut the engine off or will fire it back up to keep it cooling. If you set it on MAX A/C it straight up won't shut off at stops, thus nearly eliminating the feature in Vegas for 4-5 months.
Old 09-11-24, 03:18 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I love these older cars, they bring back nostalgia, but when you drive them, you realize they just don't drive as good as their modern counterparts. That's my experience at least
I remember when Doug Demuro drove an old LS400 back to back with the LS500 when it was new in 2018, and then compared the driving experience in the LS400 to being in a base model modern Camry. Comments section was livid.

Old 09-11-24, 04:19 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
I was commuting to work today and wanted to pass a Pacifica but couldn't because an S580 was matching its speed in the left lane.
that was steve reminding his wife not to park over the blue tape when she comes home.

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
@AJT123 Is really Cleetus McFarland
had never heard of cletus mcfarland. looked up his channel, skimmed a video and wish i hadn't.

it was like watching dumb and dumber.

but 'cletus' is another youtube star so good for him. idiocracy sells.

Old 09-11-24, 06:24 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Motorola
I remember when Doug Demuro drove an old LS400 back to back with the LS500 when it was new in 2018, and then compared the driving experience in the LS400 to being in a base model modern Camry. Comments section was livid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqDiWhlwrZ4
Doug went a little far. The reality is the modern Camry is dramatically closer to the old LS than it was then, but still is nowhere near the same level of refinement and ride quality. Quietness? Yeah all cars have gotten much quieter than they were then.
Old 09-11-24, 06:46 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 250 Likes on 189 Posts

iirc he compared the driving position to a camry and that the LS didn't "feel" like driving some big cumbersome car... which idk those both sound like good things to me lol

but it was overall a botched review, he just briefly drove it around town and never made it to any kind of highway speeds which is where the car really stands out from say, an ES/camry
Old 09-11-24, 06:49 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
it was like watching dumb and dumber.

but 'cletus' is another youtube star so good for him. idiocracy sells.
the cletus thing is just an act lol... it first started when he was an employee at 1320video and they just randomly made this video as a joke

anyway pretty sure his real name is garrett and he's well spoken when not doing the cleetus routine
Old 09-11-24, 06:59 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Stroock639
iirc he compared the driving position to a camry and that the LS didn't "feel" like driving some big cumbersome car... which idk those both sound like good things to me lol
At 21:54 he literally says that the LS400 would "never pass for anything more than a base level midsize car" after referring to the Camry about half a dozen times prior. It was obviously a very negative review which is why the comments section was so indignant.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Doug went a little far. The reality is the modern Camry is dramatically closer to the old LS than it was then, but still is nowhere near the same level of refinement and ride quality. Quietness? Yeah all cars have gotten much quieter than they were then.
The torque steer from a V6 Camry alone would kill any possible comparison to the LS but the gap between a modern Camry and the original LS400 is a lot smaller than the gap between the LS500 and the LS400. Even if it is underwhelming compared to its current rivals, there's just no comparing a modern flagship sedan to one made 35 years ago.

Last edited by Motorola; 09-11-24 at 07:03 AM.
Old 09-11-24, 07:22 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The torque steer from a V6 Camry alone would kill any possible comparison to the LS but the gap between a modern Camry and the original LS400 is a lot smaller than the gap between the LS500 and the LS400. Even if it is underwhelming compared to its current rivals, there's just no comparing a modern flagship sedan to one made 35 years ago.
100% agree...

At 21:54 he literally says that the LS400 would "never pass for anything more than a base level midsize car" after referring to the Camry about half a dozen times prior. It was obviously a very negative review which is why the comments section was so indignant.

I also think part of it was it being a Gen 1 he was driving. They felt austere and Toyota-ish compared to the Gen 2 LS especially the refresh model.
Old 09-11-24, 07:24 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

i sit corrected

to be fair i've never driven an original LS, only mine and matt farah's million mile lexus so maybe doug is more on point than i'd like to think... but again it doesn't look like he ever exceeded like 45 mph in that video, and the depth of the engineering doesn't really start to become apparent unless you start pushing things a bit

would be very interested in his response to a 1998 LS with all that extra performance
Old 09-11-24, 07:31 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

He's not really on point, the Gen 1 still feels markedly better than a Camry...
Old 09-11-24, 07:32 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

i sit corrected

to be fair i've never driven an original LS, only mine and matt farah's million mile lexus so maybe doug is more on point than i'd like to think... but again it doesn't look like he ever exceeded like 45 mph in that video, and the depth of the engineering doesn't really start to become apparent unless you start pushing things a bit

would be very interested in his response to a 1998 LS with all that extra performance
Yours is a MAJOR step up, there is a clear generation divide for a reason. It's to the point that while I want to have a 95, 2001, 2006 (in inventory already), and 2009 AWD Ultra, I am hesitant to get a 1st gen unless it's maxed out and imported with near no miles. My LS collecting will start once I have a D2 W12 in my fleet and a 3rd gen Bentley to complete my W12 collection....

Then it will be random cars I find cool but the two long rows of cars in my storage barn will be the LS from old to new on the left, the W12s on the right, and the Bentley in the back of the center isle. I plan to keep the R8 at home with whatever it is I'm using as a daily at the time, likely my 2012 since I am trying my hardest to find a 15/16 W12 in silver for the collection. Issue being there are 6 2016s and about 25 2015s so my chances are extremely low.
Old 09-11-24, 07:49 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

I don't know about Doug, but if the average person got their hands on an LS400 they would probably complain that it's only as quick as a 4-cylinder naturally aspirated Camry with "slow steering" that drinks a lot of fuel. I think only enthusiasts would really appreciate or notice the refinement and power delivery of the V8 and the balance of a proper RWD platform without struts.
Old 09-11-24, 08:01 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

I don't know about Doug, but if the average person got their hands on an LS400 they would probably complain that it's only as quick as a 4-cylinder naturally aspirated Camry with "slow steering" that drinks a lot of fuel. I think only enthusiasts would really appreciate or notice the refinement and power delivery of the V8 and the balance of a proper RWD platform without struts.
i agree for the vast majority of buyers the ES is the much more sensible choice... unless you're someone who can consider driving itself to be an activity and not just a means of getting to the next activity, the true potential of the LS will go largely unnoticed

had my grandparents been faster drivers they may have thought more carefully about giving 17 year old me the car way back then haha

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 2