Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 2

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-24, 10:36 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
You are totally wrong about 48 volt systems. They are far superior, use less and thinner wiring, reduces weight and complexity, and can power more accessories. What I don't understand is why Tesla, other than the Cyber Truck hasn't gone 48 volt, although Elon has been advocating for it. Probably due to having to tweak the production line.

Sorry bud, 1000 percent wrong on 48 volt
We aren't talking about EVs. I don't want hybrid/electric assist or start/stop on my ICE S-class. That's not gonna ever change. I don't get why some take this so personally, it's like food. I don't like fish. No matter how good you tell me it is, I'm not going to order it.
Old 09-11-24, 10:36 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,276 Likes on 1,774 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
I value material quality over gimmicks and "tech" and those are out of date before they come out vs any phone. Now stuff like more seat controls is in my mind a material change as you can't easily add things like that I a 2000 civic.

I always ask myself "can a Honda driver swap this into his beater" when looking at new features.....ambient lighting, CarPlay, etc etc are all just slapped on features. Stuff like double pane glass, multi contour seats, high grade leather, metal trim, glass buttons, etc are all far more expensive and enjoyable to interact with than the same user interface a Nissan Altima has.
I agree with you on this, a lot of tech is just a bunch of gimmicks that get dated quickly. But if you do it right, it stays relevant. The screen on Tesla's for example have never gotten dated. My friends 2018 Model 3's screen is just as relevant as my 2023. I do have better processing power and some features that were added later, but the screens function has been kept up to date, even 6 years later. But this is another discussion
Old 09-11-24, 10:38 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Makes zero sense. If he would just drive a car with a 48v system and the stop start shut off he would see it is exactly the same. Only difference is the lack of a traditional starter grind.
Which alone is enough to turn me off, I've told you that before. Don't get so hostile over my opinions. The whir of a big German engine whirring to life is part of the appeal. A nice V8 Lexus starting is about as exciting as switching a vacuum cleaner on. I keep my garage closed when I start up my SL just to hear it even more.

My friend also misses the starter. And, he can tell when the drivetrain disconnects and reconnects to the axles sometimes... pass.
Old 09-11-24, 10:39 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AJT123
We aren't talking about EVs. I don't want hybrid/electric assist or start/stop on my ICE S-class. That's not gonna ever change. I don't get why some take this so personally, it's like food. I don't like fish. No matter how good you tell me it is, I'm not going to order it.
I'm talking all cars, ICE & EV's, and hybrids. All have electrical systems, all benefit from 48 volt systems. I'm not even talking about start stop.

Personally I don't really care what you are going to order or not order, that's your personal preference. Your opinions are just not matching reality is all I'm saying. It's like me saying trucks are horrible, and I've never driven one in my life. It may be my opinion, but its an uninformed one
Old 09-11-24, 10:40 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,777 Likes on 1,984 Posts

Which alone is enough to turn me off, I've told you that before. Don't get so hostile over my opinions. The whir of a big German engine whirring to life is part of the appeal. A nice V8 Lexus starting is about as exciting as switching a vacuum cleaner on. I keep my garage closed when I start up my SL just to hear it even more.

My friend also misses the starter. And, he can tell when the drivetrain disconnects and reconnects to the axles sometimes... pass.
The last line is the problem. It doesn’t do what you are describing. The car never disconnects and reconnects to the axles. If you turn off engine stop start it drives like any other ICE car.

As for the starter grind, that’s such a small thing I don’t get that but you do you. . You love your LS430 even though “it’s about as exciting as turning a vacuum cleaner on”
Old 09-11-24, 10:45 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

48v systems are great, if you don't like the start stop then don't use it. It enables stuff like full active roll bars that raise the car 5 inches when you approach and then drop it back down so you have SUV ease of access in stuff like the current S8. It also allows full active suspension, lighter weight, less wiring, and all for just a hair more risk of shocking yourself when working on them

Can't really have that without 48v due to weight
Old 09-11-24, 10:47 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The last line is the problem. It doesn’t do what you are describing. The car never disconnects and reconnects to the axles. If you turn off engine stop start it drives like any other ICE car.

As for the starter grind, that’s such a small thing I don’t get that but you do you.
Actually it does.....

The off-throttle-to-partial-throttle transition catches the Benz off guard. The engine, disconnected from the wheels for efficient coasting, suddenly reacquaints itself, producing an uncomfortable shudder.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/reviews...-class-review/

Everything to save a drop of fuel.
Old 09-11-24, 10:49 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

48v systems are great, if you don't like the start stop then don't use it. It enables stuff like full active roll bars that raise the car 5 inches when you approach and then drop it back down so you have SUV ease of access in stuff like the current S8. It also allows full active suspension, lighter weight, less wiring, and all for just a hair more risk of shocking yourself when working on them

It's electric, hybridized assist and batteries I don't want that comes with them.

If cars need more powerful electrical systems, that's not what I'm complaining about.
Old 09-11-24, 10:50 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,777 Likes on 1,984 Posts

Actually it does.....

The off-throttle-to-partial-throttle transition catches the Benz off guard. The engine, disconnected from the wheels for efficient coasting, suddenly reacquaints itself, producing an uncomfortable shudder.

It does not do that in normal modes, it may in eco mode but not in Comfort or Sport mode which are the only modes I use.

Again, I own the car and you have never driven it lol.
Old 09-11-24, 10:55 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

^^^^^ This ^^^^^
Old 09-11-24, 10:57 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 250 Likes on 189 Posts

The whir of a big German engine whirring to life is part of the appeal. A nice V8 Lexus starting is about as exciting as switching a vacuum cleaner on. I keep my garage closed when I start up my SL just to hear it even more.
as far as the actual start up each of my cars is about the same tbh as far as starter motor sound... once the engine actually fires though is where the big difference comes into play

the lexus just sort of idles high and gradually winds down as the coolant warms, the benz does a full 'cold start' where it's like a whole big dramatic thing and then the revs suddenly drop

i agree a cold start on the benz is much more of an occasion, and yea in a tight confined space you just get these deeeeeep heavy bass sounds that resonate and let you know something BIG just came to life... dammit i may need to take it out for a highway attack tonight haha
Old 09-11-24, 10:59 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 64 Posts

Actually it does.....

Sounds like a nightmare repair outside of warranty. All evidence supports the notion to stay away from German cars outside of warranty. I don’t think the powertrain warranty is not all that long which is another concern

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 09-11-24 at 11:03 AM.
Old 09-11-24, 10:59 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

*W12 turbine starter nosies*
Old 09-11-24, 11:05 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 64 Posts

There are pros and cons to 48V systems. The cons outweigh the pros in my opinion. Pretty difficult to repair
Old 09-11-24, 11:08 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Ah, looks like we have an expert in 48v systems who's repaired lots of them. Good to know I have someone to turn to with lots of experience

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 2