Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 2

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-24, 12:39 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,030 Likes on 814 Posts

Only 48 volt system I am very familiar with more than I wanted to be was helping someone in the Rx400h forum.

This was a hybrid tho so it had a 200+v high volt battery already in it that handles the hybrid system. The high volt hybrid system is very complex.

However, it uses a DC to DC voltage step down unit to drop the hybrid high volts battery down to 48v.

The 48v is used for the servo motor in the steering rack and that's why there's no power steering pump.

Needs to be that way because people need their power steering when in hybrid mode. Lol

It does add complexity and some cars got totalled because of failure in the 48v system but these are already heavily depreciated older cars, still unfortunate tho.
Old 09-11-24, 01:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,777 Likes on 1,984 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Opinions are OK, but uniformed ones hurt people, mainly themselves
I think its also important to be open to the idea that your opinions and preconceived notions about things aren't accurate. For instance I have always been a staunchly anti 4 cyl guy, but I have subsequently driven some cars where the 4 cyl really feels good, and now I am of the opinion that for most mainstream cars and even some entry level luxury cars 4 cyl turbo powerplants can be made to be a good option.

Thats why this whole S560 vs S580 thing is so frustrating to me, having owned both cars...they both have the same engine and transmission the only difference is the 580 has the 48v system and the 560 was a 12v system...there is no tradeoff from a drivabiulity standpoint. They are the same, identical...so the argument that there is somehow a drivability difference that a owner would feel is absolutely untrue. The argument about reliability and so on and so forth is a different argument, we don't know the end result of that yet...but I can say with 100% confidence day to day driving there is no difference.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 09-11-24 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Don't be condescending please
Old 09-11-24, 01:28 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
As for the statement "older cars lasted longer" I don't think thats actually true. I haven't seen any evidence that modern cars are not more reliable and longer lasting.
You're right and if anything there's evidence to the contrary - the average age of a car on US roads is 12.6 years old now - and it's been gradually rising for the past few decades. What's especially telling is that the age keeps going up even after Cash for Clunkers. Newer cars just last longer.

I think the key innovation in making newer cars last longer has to be the metallurgy and rustproofing. You can create a simple and durable vehicle but it means nothing if the car just starts to corrode after the first instance of salt roads. People tout pre-2000's Benzes as a bastion of reliable cars built like tanks but even the W210 had its reputation killed by rust.
Old 09-11-24, 01:28 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
There are pros and cons to 48V systems. The cons outweigh the pros in my opinion. Pretty difficult to repair
What? How so? It's simpler than a Prius pack rebuild and the systems self monitor so well it's like pre-OBD 2 vs canbus in terms of being able to see what is going on

Last edited by Striker223; 09-11-24 at 01:32 PM.
Old 09-11-24, 01:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,777 Likes on 1,984 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
You're right and if anything there's evidence to the contrary - the average age of a car on US roads is 12.6 years old now - and it's been gradually rising for the past few decades. What's especially telling is that the age keeps going up even after Cash for Clunkers. Newer cars just last longer.

I think the key innovation in making newer cars last longer has to be the metallurgy and rustproofing. You can create a simple and durable vehicle but it means nothing if the car just starts to corrode after the first instance of salt roads. People tout pre-2000's Benzes as a bastion of reliable cars built like tanks but even the W210 had its reputation killed by rust.
I agree, the evidence points to cars lasting longer than ever
Old 09-11-24, 01:42 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,276 Likes on 1,774 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I think its also important to be open to the idea that your opinions and preconceived notions about things aren't accurate. For instance I have always been a staunchly anti 4 cyl guy, but I have subsequently driven some cars where the 4 cyl really feels good, and now I am of the opinion that for most mainstream cars and even some entry level luxury cars 4 cyl turbo powerplants can be made to be a good option.

Thats why this whole S560 vs S580 thing is so frustrating to me, having owned both cars...they both have the same engine and transmission the only difference is the 580 has the 48v system and the 560 was a 12v system...there is no tradeoff from a drivabiulity standpoint. They are the same, identical...so the argument that there is somehow a drivability difference that a owner would feel is absolutely untrue. The argument about reliability and so on and so forth is a different argument, we don't know the end result of that yet...but I can say with 100% confidence day to day driving there is no difference.
The other thing I would like to add is, you should at least try and experience something for yourself before forming an opinion on it. I thought BMW's were absolutely over rated...until I drove one and experienced it for myself. Also relying on what a friend tells you is a starting point, but they may have different experiences than you. They may love a car they own, and you may drive it and hate it or you may love it like they do. So it's best to drive them and evaluate them yourself.

Now if you absolutely are not interested in a certain type of vehicle, that's your right, and you don't have to justify it, and you can even criticize it all you want. Just don't be surprised if people question you on it, especially someone who actually owns or has driven the vehicle.

I just want to state this again, there is nothing wrong with owning or buying older vehicles, you won't hear any criticisms from me

Last edited by DaveGS4; 09-11-24 at 02:09 PM. Reason: quoted post edited
Old 09-11-24, 01:44 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

Manufacturing processes have allowed for engines to be designed and built in a way where they don't wear out as fast as they did 30-40 years ago. It used to be an accomplishment for an engine to reach 100k.

Now it would be an utter embarrassment for it NOT to reach 250k or 300k.
Old 09-11-24, 01:48 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
Manufacturing processes have allowed for engines to be designed and built in a way where they don't wear out as fast as they did 30-40 years ago. It used to be an accomplishment for an engine to reach 100k.

Now it would be an utter embarrassment for it NOT to reach 250k or 300k.
That is absolutely true, even with the thinner oils they now are required to use by the manufacturer. I find it's usually components external to the engine that tend to fail rather than the engine
Old 09-11-24, 01:49 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 250 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
People tout pre-2000's Benzes as a bastion of reliable cars built like tanks but even the W210 had its reputation killed by rust.
don't forget biodegradable wiring harnesses! although that was more of a W124/W126 era thing i think

i will say this though about older cars "lasting longer"... i think that impression comes from how older cars can run in a totally crappy state for a long time, whereas a modern car is more likely to work fine or just not work at all... it's also harder to DIY stuff on a modern car for someone who isn't mechanically inclined, or even for someone who is lol
Old 09-11-24, 01:56 PM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 317 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
i will say this though about older cars "lasting longer"... i think that impression comes from how older cars can run in a totally crappy state for a long time, whereas a modern car is more likely to work fine or just not work at all...
Yeah it is funny to watch YouTube repair videos where they're trying to diagnose a horrible misfire, they clear the trouble codes and it runs as smooth as silk....until the code comes back, and it starts to stumble like crazy again. At that point they know there's no major damage to the engine per se, they just need to find the smaller failure that is triggering the issue and fix that.

In older cars it would continue to run "fine" in that state until the smaller failure irreparably damaged the engine.
Old 09-11-24, 02:01 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

Explain to me how less wiring is more complex? And how many 48v systems has this "expert" worked on? And what does a Mercedes S Class Valve cover have to do with 48v? Opinions are OK, but uniformed ones hurt people, mainly themselves
If it costs 5 figures to fix valve cover gaskets, it ain't gonna be cheap when that 48v system starts ****ing up.

You can't put that together? WTF was wrong with ICE only S-Class? Because you own EVs isn't an answer.
Old 09-11-24, 02:07 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AJT123
If it costs 5 figures to fix valve cover gaskets, it ain't gonna be cheap when that 48v system starts ****ing up.

You can't put that together? WTF was wrong with ICE only S-Class? Because you own EVs isn't an answer.
LoL I think you need to Google 48v electrical system as you don't seem to have an understanding of it

"A 48V system can provide more power, improve energy recuperation,[7] and allow up to an 85% decrease in cable mass"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/48-volt_electrical_system

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 09-11-24 at 02:12 PM.
Old 09-11-24, 02:11 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

Everybody is entitled to an opinion and on a public forum that opinion can be debated or criticized.

Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 250 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
No Lexus will last as long as the first LSs through the 430 and LX models until the J300. Time will tell. Y'all will see. I disagree, cars back then were built to last longer. Look how much better other stuff was old, like appliances, televisions, etc.
i agree in terms of toyota/honda specifically, and some of the high end german stuff... but no 90s american car gives the impression of 'lasting quality' lol

however the vortec 5300 does seem to be quite the workhorse, i still see a decent amount of those going
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

That is absolutely true, even with the thinner oils they now are required to use by the manufacturer. I find it's usually components external to the engine that tend to fail rather than the engine
Or owner induced stupidity, even a Kia engine will last if the owner checks oil and keeps feeding it. All of the ones I've had to replace are because the owner failed to check it

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 2