Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 2

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-24, 02:14 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

If I could get a PHEV add on for my W12 engines I would take it as long as it didn't weigh anything more so I could move them all around the garage or storage unit or do a small trip to the store and back. Plus I would hope it could contribute like 15 or hp maybe....if I could maintain overall weight I would even go so far as to say I would pay for CCB brakes to help offset the added weight of a light system.

I would still want a normal starter though and have no reliance on the add in system for normal operation.
Old 09-11-24, 02:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,777 Likes on 1,984 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
The other thing I would like to add is, you should at least try and experience something for yourself before forming an opinion on it. I thought BMW's were absolutely over rated...until I drove one and experienced it for myself. Also relying on what a friend tells you is a starting point, but they may have different experiences than you. They may love a car they own, and you may drive it and hate it or you may love it like they do. So it's best to drive them and evaluate them yourself.

Now if you absolutely are not interested in a certain type of vehicle, that's your right, and you don't have to justify it, and you can even criticize it all you want. Just don't be surprised if people question you on it, especially someone who actually owns or has driven the vehicle.

I just want to state this again, there is nothing wrong with owning or buying older vehicles, you won't hear any criticisms from me
Agree 100%.

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
Manufacturing processes have allowed for engines to be designed and built in a way where they don't wear out as fast as they did 30-40 years ago. It used to be an accomplishment for an engine to reach 100k.

Now it would be an utter embarrassment for it NOT to reach 250k or 300k.
Agreed. My parents had some cars that really became run down when I was a kid, when I think about how young they were vs how old you would assume they would be its pretty interesting.

My Dad's 1990 Lincoln Continental had failed air suspension, the electrochromic mirror fell off the windshield repeatedly, the leather was all cracked and destroyed, it had all kinds of mechanical problems....it was only 5 years old when he got rid of it. My Mom's 1987 Ford Aerostar, you had to hold the gas down when at a stop because it would stall, none of the power widows worked or the power door locks, it left us stranded multiple times going back and forth to WV...it was only 7 years old when they got rid ot if...now we don't even think of a 5 or 7 year old car as old.

Originally Posted by AJT123
If it costs 5 figures to fix valve cover gaskets, it ain't gonna be cheap when that 48v system starts ****ing up.

You have no basis from which to form this opinion other than your own preconceptions. Just be open to the possibility that your preconception isn't accurate
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
i will say this though about older cars "lasting longer"... i think that impression comes from how older cars can run in a totally crappy state for a long time, whereas a modern car is more likely to work fine or just not work at all... it's also harder to DIY stuff on a modern car for someone who isn't mechanically inclined, or even for someone who is lol
I think it's more just the age-old idea that more tech = more stuff that can break. Obviously this adage doesn't hold up otherwise we would still be driving cars with carburetors, but it's hard to overcome the human distrust of technology.

Another factor is the tactility aspect - old cars have a more mechanical feel to them in how they operate from the door handles to switchgear that gives people the impression that they're in a quality product. Old Mercs especially nail that vibe. MM will go on and on about how the "door-closing thud" on modern cars are not as good as the ones from 20-30 years ago. But this doesn't translate to the longevity of a vehicle.
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,276 Likes on 1,774 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Or owner induced stupidity, even a Kia engine will last if the owner checks oil and keeps feeding it. All of the ones I've had to replace are because the owner failed to check it
Absolutely true
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,337 Likes on 1,423 Posts

Guys going to ask the folks being condescending and rude in this post to cool it and step away from the keyboard and this thread for a bit.
Old 09-11-24, 02:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
Manufacturing processes have allowed for engines to be designed and built in a way where they don't wear out as fast as they did 30-40 years ago. It used to be an accomplishment for an engine to reach 100k.

Now it would be an utter embarrassment for it NOT to reach 250k or 300k.

150K, or even 200K in some circumstances, OK, but, for most vehicles, 250-300K is really pushing it, even by today's standards.

Of course, there are some exceptions. Toyota's 4Runner and Land Cruiser, for example, are both known for routinely going to 200-300K.....but one cannot usually expect that from most vehicles, even with regular oil changes and maintenance.
Old 09-11-24, 02:17 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
I think it's more just the age-old idea that more tech = more stuff that can break. Obviously this adage doesn't hold up otherwise we would still be driving cars with carburetors, but it's hard to overcome the human distrust of technology.

Another factor is the tactility aspect - old cars have a more mechanical feel to them in how they operate from the door handles to switchgear (usually made of metal) that gives people the impression that they're in a quality product. MM will go on and on about how the "door-closing thud" on modern cars are not as good as the ones from 20-30 years ago. But this doesn't translate to the longevity of a vehicle.
Modern ones are better, as long as you remember to adjust for inflation modern dame price tier cars are better than the older ones. Issues is 100k car back in the early 2000s is easily 150k+ now so people think quality has gone down
Old 09-11-24, 02:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
150K, or even 200K in some circumstances, OK, but, for most vehicles, 250-300K is really pushing it, even by today's standards.

Of course, there are some exceptions. Toyota's 4Runner and Land Cruiser, for example, are both known for routinely going to 200-300K.....but one cannot usually expect that from most vehicles, even with regular oil changes and maintenance.
I don't think thats really true. I think most cars today can easily last 200-300k with proper maintenance.
Old 09-11-24, 02:23 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,276 Likes on 1,774 Posts

If I could get a PHEV add on for my W12 engines I would take it as long as it didn't weigh anything more so I could move them all around the garage or storage unit or do a small trip to the store and back. Plus I would hope it could contribute like 15 or hp maybe....if I could maintain overall weight I would even go so far as to say I would pay for CCB brakes to help offset the added weight of a light system.

I would still want a normal starter though and have no reliance on the add in system for normal operation.
Hybrid drivetrains and batteries absolutely add weight, but from what people tell me they also assist with no penalty...except the added weight, and if it's a mild hybrid it is going to add complexity for sure, no getting around that
Old 09-11-24, 02:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I would still want a normal starter though
Why is that? To me the starter is just another failure point, the ISG is way more robust.
Old 09-11-24, 02:30 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

On the subject of tactility again, just listen to this video from 2:54 onward:

I can definitely understand why people who hear and feel this sort of solidity would think it's a longer-lasting vehicle than a modern E-Class with its creaky trim and interior. But I would never bet against an old E-Class outlasting a new one.
Old 09-11-24, 02:32 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

My parents are driving a Diamler era Chrysler with 250k+ on it. If THAT thing can make it that far, I expect anything made today to make it.

That doesn't mean without repairs. It just means no rebuilding or replacing the engine or transmission.
Old 09-11-24, 02:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

I can definitely understand why people who hear and feel this sort of solidity would think it's a longer-lasting vehicle than a modern E-Class with its creaky trim and interior. But I would never bet against an old E-Class outlasting a new one.
BMW also used to have that kind of Teutonic-Tank-solidity, but their products also went noticeably downhill in the solidity department when Chris Bangle came along. He not only introduced the complex/annoying I-Drive and what was (IMO) goofy-looking body styling, but also thinner/lighter construction that was apparently done to cut costs, although the lighter weight might have also helped with CAFE averages,.
Old 09-11-24, 02:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
BMW also used to have that kind of Teutonic-Tank-solidity, but their products also went noticeably downhill in the solidity department when Chris Bangle came along. He not only introduced the complex/annoying I-Drive and what was (IMO) goofy-looking body styling, but also thinner/lighter construction that was apparently done to cut costs, although the lighter weight might have also helped with CAFE averages,.
That "complex/annoying iDrive" revolutionized the automotive infotainment landscape...just sayin.
Old 09-11-24, 02:42 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

On the subject of tactility again, just listen to this video from 2:54 onward:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwn_kETLkIc

I would. I don't think it was you but someone said W210s rust. I see so many beaters, some at construction sites, but then I don't live in the north. W210 was probably the last "tank" Mercedes of old that was sold. That or the first gen CLK, those were the last. I see lots of gen 1 CLK convertibles. Some look beaten to hell, some great.

I would take any E-Class W210 or before with, let's say, 25k miles and in perfect condition and put it up against a brand new one and bet the new one goes to the junk yard first.

The new MBs just don't have those attributes at the time mark you told us to start at. There are a few cheap trim pieces in my SL like the vanity mirror covers but it's the same thing with all the switches and build quality. Opening the door from the inside a small child would have trouble with, it's like opening a safe.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 2