Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 2

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-24, 07:30 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,276 Likes on 1,774 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Oh I don't dislike the engine at all, they do very well and I bet the oil consumption is fixable without too much effort. I have yet to fail to bring a Toyota back from eating too much oil, why do you say sitting is bad? I've not really found problems having some of my cars sit for a long time but I do keep them indoors and on chargers
I meant more for the battery. They have a huge phantom current draw, and it wasn't just mine. During COVID when there was lockdowns and people were working from home, batteries went dead. I met a member in SoCal who programmed my ISF steering ECU, and his was dead after not starting it for 3 weeks. I know I could of put a trickle charger on it, but honestly I just didn't have room for it. My backyard parking area is huge, but nothing like what you guys in the Midwest and Ohio have
Old 09-14-24, 07:13 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I'm telling you bro, you would have loved my 2nd Gen IS350 Sport. It was decently fast, had a nice induction rumble sound due to the F-SPORT intake, short quick gearing, had tight handling and steering due to the mods I made (F-Sport suspension/lowering springs, ISF steering ECU and steering weight, F-Sport sway bars, RCF bushings etc). It had about 287 to the wheels, and an RR Racing tune that allowed it to rev to 7k. Beautiful rumble when you put your foot down, and super quiet and smooth at 80 mph. Just go to the link in my signature and have a 0 to 60 run, put on headphones. BTW, this was before I swapped the stock intake
I know we argue sometimes but we could be brothers from a different mother because we had that car too. It was a rocket, 2011 IS350.
Old 09-14-24, 07:15 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I meant more for the battery. They have a huge phantom current draw, and it wasn't just mine. During COVID when there was lockdowns and people were working from home, batteries went dead. I met a member in SoCal who programmed my ISF steering ECU, and his was dead after not starting it for 3 weeks. I know I could of put a trickle charger on it, but honestly I just didn't have room for it. My backyard parking area is huge, but nothing like what you guys in the Midwest and Ohio have
Oh, yeah that's Lexus. I figured that out early hahaha! I have no idea why but every single one I've had or been around does that, my 430s are the worst about it.

You would think they would have a system like the Germans to gradually shut everything down and allow them to remain cold for months on end but I guess not. End result was I ended up getting battery tenders
Old 09-14-24, 07:47 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,777 Likes on 1,984 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Ordinarily, that $1100+ increase might be attributed to you getting that new 100K+ S-series (and a new Pacifica not that long ago)...but the fact that you also got a similar increase last year probably makes that less of a reason.

See what GEICO (1-800-341-8000) will offer you.....particularly if you bundle house and vehicles together. I've had regular increases every six months for the last few years, but, for whatever reason, last June (my policy runs from June till November), they gave me a significant drop, with no change in coverage-limits. Unlike with many other firms, you can call GEICO representatives any hour of the day or night...they don't use agents that just work 9 to 5.
I had a brand new $100k+ S Class and a new Pacifica when I got the policy in 2020, and I have new versions of the same cars now. The S580 didn't change the policy hardly at all.

No Geico for me, I want good quality insurance with an agent I can trust. In fact I was never happy with Progressive but my old agent was the one who sold me the policy. He has once again retired so, time to move on.

Originally Posted by SC300Es
Steve, since you have a 48v system.
If the battery dies, can you jump it with a 12v system? Will a portable/handheld battery pack work?
Yep, it has a 12V starter battery and it can be jumped and jump other cars (I would never do that lol).

Another plus of it being "a hybrid" from last night:

Old 09-14-24, 08:39 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I had a brand new $100k+ S Class and a new Pacifica when I got the policy in 2020, and I have new versions of the same cars now. The S580 didn't change the policy hardly at all.

No Geico for me, I want good quality insurance with an agent I can trust. In fact I was never happy with Progressive but my old agent was the one who sold me the policy. He has once again retired so, time to move on.

Yep, it has a 12V starter battery and it can be jumped and jump other cars (I would never do that lol).

Yeah I hated Progressive and Geico. The huge hail storm here 15 years ago I think it was Geico, they left my car sitting in the body shop for 6 weeks waiting on an adjustment, or whatever when they find more damage than thought. I call them on the phone and they. tell me they don't have enough adjusters. HTF is that my problem, you have the means to be on tv every other commercial... I had to raise hell with that one.

Safeco I thought was cheap *** insurance but it's A+, plus like I said they have paid out $20k in claims over a few years and not raised my rates. If you're shopping I'd definitely check them out.
Old 09-14-24, 09:09 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS

I really wonder sometimes where the line on hybrid is.....
Old 09-14-24, 09:12 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 64 Posts

What is there to wonder?
Old 09-14-24, 09:28 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AJT123
I know we argue sometimes but we could be brothers from a different mother because we had that car too. It was a rocket, 2011 IS350.
Haha brothers argue too Me and my younger brother would fist it out growing up, but now we have nothing but respect for each other. Disagreements are normal, as long as they remain civil
Old 09-14-24, 09:34 AM
Carfan94
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hondas first generation of hybrids were really mild hybrids. but they had big fancy “HYBRID” badges on the back of them.
Old 09-14-24, 09:38 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
What is there to wonder?
Where the line is, like I said. Do you need a belt driven alternator/motor? Battery recovery system? ISG? IMA? HSD? PHEV? Where is the line?

I have battery recovery systems on my A8s, does that make them hybrids?
Old 09-14-24, 09:58 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AJT123
Yeah I hated Progressive and Geico. The huge hail storm here 15 years ago I think it was Geico, they left my car sitting in the body shop for 6 weeks waiting on an adjustment, or whatever when they find more damage than thought. I call them on the phone and they. tell me they don't have enough adjusters. HTF is that my problem, you have the means to be on tv every other commercial... I had to raise hell with that one.

Safeco I thought was cheap *** insurance but it's A+, plus like I said they have paid out $20k in claims over a few years and not raised my rates. If you're shopping I'd definitely check them out.
Never had a problem with Geico, paid my claims quickly. My wife totalled our 2004 Sienna on a Thursday, the next day they called me to let me know payment was on it's way. And they paid me more than the car was worth, they based it on what it was selling in the market, not the value, which was almost half. My wife had hit a parked car and totalled it, and they paid the guys claim quickly.

The only thing I don't like about Geico is they don't have reps available to talk to non Geico customers if you are looking for a quote. You have get a quote online, and if you have any questions, the phone system takes you through an infinite loop, then hangs up on you. Once you are customer, it's easy to talk to a rep
Old 09-14-24, 10:21 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Oh, yeah that's Lexus. I figured that out early hahaha! I have no idea why but every single one I've had or been around does that, my 430s are the worst about it.

You would think they would have a system like the Germans to gradually shut everything down and allow them to remain cold for months on end but I guess not. End result was I ended up getting battery tenders
Yeah when you put a Multimeter on it, they still draw a lot of current. Not sure why. I had a new battery in it so as long as I started it once every few weeks it was fine
Old 09-14-24, 11:41 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 64 Posts

Where the line is, like I said. Do you need a belt driven alternator/motor? Battery recovery system? ISG? IMA? HSD? PHEV? Where is the line?

I have battery recovery systems on my A8s, does that make them hybrids?
there should be no EV or hybrid parking of any sort. Same with HIV lanes.

why not make the leased vehicles park farther in the back and let the purchased vehicles park close? Think about it…. How much environmental waste does leasing create vs having one car for 20 years?

Bike lanes are stupid too
Old 09-14-24, 11:45 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
there should be no EV or hybrid parking of any sort. Same with HIV lanes.

why not make the leased vehicles park farther in the back and let the purchased vehicles park close? Think about it…. How much environmental waste does leasing create vs having one car for 20 years?

Bike lanes are stupid too
I don't actually disagree, to me it's the same as a whites only parking slot.

The only exceptions I would make are handicapped slots if the store/place in question opts to have them
Old 09-14-24, 11:49 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I don't actually disagree, to me it's the same as a whites only parking slot.

The only exceptions I would make are handicapped slots if the store/place in question opts to have them
These are actually charging spots, and people pay for charging. There's no such thing as EV only parking unless it has a charger. Also I think when they mean hybrid, they are referring to plug in hybrid

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 2