Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 2

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-24, 09:58 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 303 Likes on 233 Posts
Default General Car Conversation 2024 - part 2

Once again, the size of the GCC thread has reached the point that it has become a challenge (from a technical perspective) to moderate. Therefore, as we did at the beginning of this year, we are closing the old thread and starting a new one. This new thread should take us through the remainder of 2024. Rules remain the same, as a reminder here they are below:

General Car Conversation thread guidelines (please read before posting)

The goal of this General Car Conversation thread is to provide an ongoing natural conversation about car related topics that ebbs and flows. The thread was requested by Club Lexus members to create a ‘general’ chat space for car related topics & tangents which allows continual conversation and will help keep other car chat threads on their more discrete and specific topics.

Posters should remember the following guidelines for posting in this thread:

1. Please keep the conversation related to motor vehicles in some way. Topics might delve into car financing, garages, detailing, and other car-related topics but personal (non car-related) conversations should go to PM or be posted in the Clubhouse forum.

2. Significant vehicle related posts should be posted as a new thread in the Car Chat forum. This includes industry news topics, new model releases, questions about car comparisons, vehicle reviews and other general topics that are likely to spawn a comprehensive and enjoyable on topic discussion. Use your judgement here, if you think something would make a good thread, create a new thread vs posting in here.

3. Lexus model specific questions should be posted in the appropriate model specific forum, not here.

4. Help new members understand how the forum works. When a new poster finds their way into the thread with a question that is better suited for its own topic in Car Chat or in a model specific thread, please help them by replying to their comment with a link to where they should post their question to get the most comprehensive responses, and report the post so moderators can review and potentially move their post to the right spot.

5. Remember that the CL rules of conduct still apply within this thread. Refrain from name calling, rude or offensive posts, flamebaiting, political or religious discussions and overwhelmingly dominating the conversation. Refusal to respect those rules could result in you being asked not to participate in the thread any longer. As a reminder, those rules are located here.

6. Once the conversation has naturally moved on from a topic, please respect that as you would any in person conversation and don’t try and drag it back where you want it to go.

7. When you are participating in other Car Chat threads, if the conversation begins to go off topic, please suggest that you and those who are involved take that conversation to this thread. It’s up to all of us to help keep the random car conversations here, and better maintain the topical continuity of the other car chat threads.

Please remember that the existence of this thread is predicated upon our ability to keep it clean and fun for everyone.
Old 07-25-24, 10:05 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

First!

The new brakes in my truck seem to have finally bedded in, no more squealing.
Old 07-25-24, 10:16 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

I need rotors and pads all around in the SL sometime soon.

$1200 from Indy, not bad at all.
Old 07-25-24, 10:17 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 771 Likes on 539 Posts

They announced a second refresh for the Ody which wasn't worth its own thread. Pretty much the same, updated infotainment and rear seat entertainment screens. Some minor exterior changes and carrying over the V6.

I just wanted to get on the first page
Old 07-25-24, 10:40 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
They announced a second refresh for the Ody which wasn't worth its own thread. Pretty much the same, updated infotainment and rear seat entertainment screens. Some minor exterior changes and carrying over the V6.

I just wanted to get on the first page
On the contrary, it's good to let people know you can still get a decent engine in a minivan. On the first page.
Old 07-25-24, 11:00 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

It has been very reliable. My main gripe is that the driver's side sliding door randomly decides something in the way and refuses to close unless I keep pressing the door close button or physically force it closed
Old 07-25-24, 11:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
It has been very reliable. My main gripe is that the driver's side sliding door randomly decides something in the way and refuses to close unless I keep pressing the door close button or physically force it closed
Is the driver's seat-belt retracting all the way back into its sleeve/holder when you unbuckle it? If not, and/or it it is draping or hanging in the way of the door track, that could prevent the slide door from operating properly.
Old 07-25-24, 11:12 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,230 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
First!

The new brakes in my truck seem to have finally bedded in, no more squealing.
*cries in semi race pads endless squealing*

Congrats on first!
Old 07-25-24, 11:16 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Is the driver's seat-belt retracting all the way back into its sleeve/holder when you unbuckle it? If not, and/or it it is draping or hanging in the way of the door track, that could prevent the slide door from operating properly.
Driver's seatbelt is on and kid is also buckled in. There is literally nothing in the way. I've cleaned the track and that entire area around it. It's been happening since we got the van and service tech's don't have any suggestions to fix it either. The good thing is that it hasn't gotten worse. Just every now and then I have to keep pressing the close door button until it finally decides to close
Old 07-25-24, 11:26 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 303 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
I need rotors and pads all around in the SL sometime soon.

$1200 from Indy, not bad at all.
I was surprised to learn the other day that OE rotors for the GR Corolla are like $630 each! That’s more than it’ll cost for my 15” semi 2-piece fronts, even with the M tax.
Old 07-25-24, 11:27 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

@mmarshall I am interested to know what brand manufacturer operates the wipers before the water shoots out?
Old 07-25-24, 11:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
@mmarshall I am interested to know what brand manufacturer operates the wipers before the water shoots out?

Actually. most vehicles I have owned in more recent years. It takes the fluid a couple of seconds to actually squirt out onto the glass, but the wipers start immediately when you hit the wash button.

I would prefer a system where you hit the washer button to get the fluid onto the glass first, and THEN the wipers would start sweeping....even with a separate wipe button.

In fact, when washers first became available, it was often set up that way...separate ***** or switches for wash and wipe. Then somebody got the idea to combine them.
Old 07-25-24, 12:14 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,230 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
I was surprised to learn the other day that OE rotors for the GR Corolla are like $630 each! That’s more than it’ll cost for my 15” semi 2-piece fronts, even with the M tax.
I'm not shocked at all, Toyota doesn't really do performance so on the rare occasions they attempt to they charge $$$$$ for the privilege of being slower than 2 gen old German equivalents lol!
Old 07-25-24, 01:00 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Actually. most vehicles I have owned in more recent years. It takes the fluid a couple of seconds to actually squirt out onto the glass, but the wipers start immediately when you hit the wash button.
‘Do you remember what vehicles?. There is always a delay built in

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-25-24 at 01:23 PM.
Old 07-25-24, 01:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Originally Posted by Carfan94
I just got this Covercraft sunshade. It’s been rainy and cloudy lately. So I haven’t gotten a chance to test it in the sun yet. It’s hard and rigid which makes it somewhat cumbersome to put up. I have to be careful not to bash the air vents.

But it will probably last longer than the soft spongy one I had before from autozone that turned to mush after a few years and wouldn’t stay up.

Those Covercraft sunshades are great, I have been buying them for years. I wouldn't worry about the light coming through the mirror area.

I would prefer a system where you hit the washer button to get the fluid onto the glass first, and THEN the wipers would start sweeping....even with a separate wipe button.

In fact, when washers first became available, it was often set up that way...separate ***** or switches for wash and wipe. Then somebody got the idea to combine them.
The issue is when washers spray when moving, the driver is blinded. Thats why they have to be sure the wipers sweep really quick.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 2