Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota to replace nearly all 3.5L TTV6s in Tundra and LX

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-24, 12:50 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

toyota techs view on the engine replacement vs short block replacement. Video works but doesnt thumbnail

Old 07-31-24, 01:01 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Excellent work Toyota Do right for the customer
Old 07-31-24, 01:32 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
Yep I agree, it'll cost a fortune for them.... but gotta do it.

Remember when the LS400 came out there was one bad third brake light reported as recall worthy and they recalled every single LS they had sold?

They had techs going to houses, flew people into Alaska for customers, and they'd leave you with a full tank of gas.
Old 07-31-24, 02:23 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Doing right by the customers is not selling 100,000 ticking time bombs for $60,000 a piece to start with. They did this because they have to, not because they're saints. Toyota doesn't care about you.
Old 07-31-24, 02:27 PM
Blaze876
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 90 Posts

I don’t think Blaze is correct.
Sure there are exceptions. But for the vast majority quality and reliability is significantly down. Before you could have a refrigerator for 15-20 years (being conservative). Now you're lucky if it last 10 years. My Honda generator I bought 2 years ago lasted 1.5 months before it gave out. Spent $5,500. Took them 4 months to repair it. My $3,500 Ingersoll 30 gallon compressor broke after 3 months which I also bought 2 years ago. I have 2 Milwaukee mid impact guns broke in less than 1 year. My Mytee s300h paid $800 bought last year October, broke in 1 month.
Old 07-31-24, 02:34 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA

Doing right by the customers is not selling 100,000 ticking time bombs for $60,000 a piece to start with. They did this because they have to, not because they're saints. Toyota doesn't care about you.
Manufacturing errors happen. Toyota is stepping up here. I don’t see how one could not be happy.

Originally Posted by AJT123
Remember when the LS400 came out there was one bad third brake light reported as recall worthy and they recalled every single LS they had sold?
I remember when Toyota recalled all Japan made 5.7 V8s in 2007 with the 2nd Gen Tundra. I think it was 15K engines. I am sure the 3.5tt will be just as reliable as the 5,7 Toyota is an excellent brand, they are stepping up for the customer here.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-31-24 at 03:12 PM.
Old 07-31-24, 03:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blaze876
Mazda have their fair share of issues. Their 2.5T from 2016-2020 (I think) blows head gaskets under 100k. Its a common issue and not a if but when. Mazda is aware and has done nothing. I was actually inrterested in a 2018 Cx9 and started to do some research and discovered these issues.

Quality overall in the auto industry.....and every industry has dropped. The goal is no longer creating a good and lasting product. Its to create a product that makes the company the most money at the cheapest cost to inflate their stock after every quarter.
Cars today are definitely built with better quality than in the past, I remember my parents had a Ford Pinto and I came over one evening and three days after they bought the paint on the hood came off like a sheet when the weather went cold one evening In the 90s my parents bought a STS and that was an unbelievable nightmare. Cars today also last much longer. I remember when cars struggled to get to 100K.

Sure there are exceptions. But for the vast majority quality and reliability is significantly down. Before you could have a refrigerator for 15-20 years (being conservative). Now you're lucky if it last 10 years. My Honda generator I bought 2 years ago lasted 1.5 months before it gave out. Spent $5,500. Took them 4 months to repair it. My $3,500 Ingersoll 30 gallon compressor broke after 3 months which I also bought 2 years ago. I have 2 Milwaukee mid impact guns broke in less than 1 year. My Mytee s300h paid $800 bought last year October, broke in 1 month.
‘My gas BBQ by Weber has been perfect. Starts up every time. I think modern TVs have better quality than in the past as well

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-31-24 at 03:06 PM.
Old 07-31-24, 03:44 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Cars today are definitely built with better quality than in the past, I remember my parents had a Ford Pinto and I came over one evening and three days after they bought the paint on the hood came off like a sheet when the weather went cold one evening In the 90s my parents bought a STS and that was an unbelievable nightmare. Cars today also last much longer. I remember when cars struggled to get to 100K.

‘My gas BBQ by Weber has been perfect. Starts up every time. I think modern TVs have better quality than in the past as well
My Weber rusted out completely and it was perfectly covered, strange...Modern TVs are absolutely NOT better quality than old school. I have gone through like 5 TVs in several years, replacements in and out of warranty. The tech is great but they don't last like the old kind do. But it's worth it.

I think Toyota is doing the right thing too, just like that Lexus example.
Old 07-31-24, 06:51 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Quality overall in the auto industry.....and every industry has dropped. The goal is no longer creating a good and lasting product. Its to create a product that makes the company the most money at the cheapest cost to inflate their stock after every quarter.
lol. businesses exist to make money. obviously companies like toyota and honda in the 70s and onward took deming quality methods as religion and created much higher quality vehicles than other manufacturers and it delivered sales, profits, and higher stock prices, quarter after quarter. but quality began to equalizes across brands in the 2000s so it's not the big deal it used to be. with stronger competition, all brands began extreme penny pinching on vehicles and were also constrained by regulations forcing them to add features, emissions tech, etc. which increased the cost to make vehicles.

but overall, vehicles today are higher quality in terms of reliability, than ever.

Cars today are definitely built with better quality than in the past
agreed.
Old 07-31-24, 07:38 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,230 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
lol. businesses exist to make money. obviously companies like toyota and honda in the 70s and onward took deming quality methods as religion and created much higher quality vehicles than other manufacturers and it delivered sales, profits, and higher stock prices, quarter after quarter. but quality began to equalizes across brands in the 2000s so it's not the big deal it used to be. with stronger competition, all brands began extreme penny pinching on vehicles and were also constrained by regulations forcing them to add features, emissions tech, etc. which increased the cost to make vehicles.

but overall, vehicles today are higher quality in terms of reliability, than ever.

agreed.
Not only that but as people move more and more toward lease type "ownership" they have dramatically less reason to make something that lasts. No point when the customers will always be moving on to the latest size screens. A lot of subsystems are also so well ironed out at this point they won't have issues, we don't have ball joint quality problems or shocks for example.
Old 08-01-24, 06:33 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Not only that but as people move more and more toward lease type "ownership" they have dramatically less reason to make something that lasts. No point when the customers will always be moving on to the latest size screens. A lot of subsystems are also so well ironed out at this point they won't have issues, we don't have ball joint quality problems or shocks for example.
with cars changing so quickly now, i think there's quite a bit of FOMO among (mostly younger) drivers, or rather, they can't see themselves having any car for a decade as in the past. they've got places to go and instagram photos to take.

and leases are obviously easier on cash flow as most people don't have (or don't want) much cash to put down on a depreciating object. plus with insurance higher than ever, taxes, etc., the all in cost on buying a new vehicle for many people has become like a rent payment!
Old 08-01-24, 10:46 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
with cars changing so quickly now, i think there's quite a bit of FOMO among (mostly younger) drivers, or rather, they can't see themselves having any car for a decade as in the past. they've got places to go and instagram photos to take.

and leases are obviously easier on cash flow as most people don't have (or don't want) much cash to put down on a depreciating object. plus with insurance higher than ever, taxes, etc., the all in cost on buying a new vehicle for many people has become like a rent payment!
It has indeed gotten far more expensive, I think that's the main motivator since leading allows people to spend less for more in exchange for actually owning it. As you said most don't care about that as long as they look cool on social media etc

Honestly most cars these days are generic breadboxes anyway so I can understand why they don't care about keeping them a long time since they are utterly forgettable and just an appliance. Anything cool is so expensive now you have to really want it to own one
Old 08-01-24, 11:00 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 303 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
My Weber rusted out completely and it was perfectly covered, strange...
Not strange at all. Covers trap moisture. If you’re going to cover a grill, the cover needs to be vented to let all that humidity out. But a grill will last 10x longer with no cover than a complete cover.
Old 08-01-24, 11:04 AM
LH1
Instructor

Received 193 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Honestly most cars these days are generic breadboxes anyway so I can understand why they don't care about keeping them a long time since they are utterly forgettable and just an appliance. Anything cool is so expensive now you have to really want it to own one
Sometimes in traffic I look around and I'm surrounded by non-descript CUV's/SUV's that all look the same.

Cars are increasingly turning into appliances. In 10-15 years buying a car will be the same as buying a gas range or refrigerator from HD or Lowe's.
Old 08-01-24, 11:15 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by geko29
Not strange at all. Covers trap moisture. If you’re going to cover a grill, the cover needs to be vented to let all that humidity out. But a grill will last 10x longer with no cover than a complete cover.
I have an old weber myself, it's not rusting at all even at 20+ years old. I keep saying I'll replace it when it fails.......it hasn't done so yet

Quick Reply: Toyota to replace nearly all 3.5L TTV6s in Tundra and LX