Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota to replace nearly all 3.5L TTV6s in Tundra and LX

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-24, 07:35 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,230 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Then why have we not seen widespread failures in the engine in the LS? This is a manufacturing issue not an engine design issue.
We will see, I wouldn't be shocked at all to see a different bedplate design or alternate fasteners at least. This just isn't something you don't notice on so many engines and all the factories......

Even Hyundai figured it out faster and it wasn't as consistently killing engines as this.

The LS engine is not entirely the same as the trucks and I believe the blocks are different.
Old 07-25-24, 07:42 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,979 Likes on 2,507 Posts

Then why have we not seen widespread failures in the engine in the LS? This is a manufacturing issue not an engine design issue.
Different torque curve. And are the blocks identical? Have you checked?
Old 07-25-24, 07:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Different torque curve. And are the blocks identical? Have you checked?
I would be amazed if they weren’t the same
Old 07-25-24, 07:52 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

LS500 is much lower volume and the buying demographic is likely too old to be active online. Also the same reason why you don't see many if any reports of the LX600 engines failing despite it also being a part of this recall. The existence of the LX being in this recall kills the manufacturing theory because that vehicle is made in Japan while the Tundra is made in the US.

As for why the LS hasn't been recalled - I'm sure that's what every owner would like to know. I recall it had a lot of issues when it was included in Consumer Reports' brand rankings a few years ago, so much so that it single-handedly tanked the Lexus brand a few spots down.
Old 07-25-24, 07:52 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Who is going to pull the part numbers for the blocks?
Old 07-25-24, 07:58 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

this is pretty sad.
Old 07-25-24, 07:58 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

The machining issue apparently transferred over intact to a different production facility on a different continent. For Toyota's sake I hope the debris issue is real and not an engine defect otherwise they will be replacing way more than 100K engines.

Why did Toyota think replacing the short block was acceptable? Every engine builder knows if debris goes through an engine all bets are off sure it's possible to have a successful repair but not a guarantee.
Originally Posted by Striker223
Who is going to pull the part numbers for the blocks?
Parts listings are not new enough, not the ones I have access to.
Old 07-25-24, 08:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

LS500 has been out for 6 years. If there were engine failures we would know. This is clearly a manufacturing issue and Toyota is addressing it the best way they can.

I’d still be pissed don’t get me wrong.
Old 07-25-24, 08:12 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

There have been instances online of LS500 engine failures, but like I said you won't see nearly as many of them as the much higher volume Tundra.
Old 07-25-24, 08:21 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

I think we can all agree that engine failure in a Lexus/Toyota has over the decades been almost unheard of. Sure you could blow it up but it was almost always because of neglect not some inherent flaw or manufacturing issue.
Old 07-25-24, 08:29 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Motorola
There have been instances online of LS500 engine failures, but like I said you won't see nearly as many of them as the much higher volume Tundra.
Yep, we have enough of them in our own forum that it gave me pause when I was considering my "real" car when I had the LS430. It was bad enough I went Audi.....but I did add a 460 shortly after.

To quote the reddit thread........"The first engine (and the second vehicle) both came in with failed main bearings. They just spit out. This one that went boom, possibly injector issue, but not sure how since there were no shavings in the original cylinders." Sound like something we know of?
Old 07-25-24, 09:01 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Toyota made the M series I-6 engine from 1965–1993, cast iron block aluminum head. Then of course they followed up with the legendary JZ I'm absolutely baffled how they could toss such a long tradition in the trash.

Everybody but BMW basically dropped inline-6 engines because they don't fit in FWD applications, and starting in the 80's and 90's everything began transitioning to FWD. Nobody was going to invest in an I6 engine for RWD platforms when they also would need a V6 engine to fit in their FWD anyway, you just do the V6 and use it in both(2GR, VQ, Duratec, Pentastar 3.6, etc). You were never going to stuff an I6 into a Camry, Highlander, or Sienna, but you could develop a V6 for them and then also stuff it in the RWD products like the Taco, 4Runner, IS and GS, etc.

Now small FWD vehicles are being downsized to 4 cylinders so there's really no strict requirement to be V6 if you're going to make a new 6 cylinder engine. This is why Stellantis and Mazda have just come out with new I6 engines. I don't believe Mazda had an existing 6 cylinder engine in production and the pentastar engine was getting long in the tooth for Stellantis.
Old 07-25-24, 10:26 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

What is the point of selling millions of ***** boxes if you're not going to use the billions of extra $$$ to make low volume enthusiast cars? Toyota used to make cars out of passion now they make the most boring forgettable rides on the road.
Old 07-25-24, 10:51 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

What is the point of selling millions of ***** boxes if you're not going to use the billions of extra $$$ to make low volume enthusiast cars? Toyota used to make cars out of passion now they make the most boring forgettable rides on the road.
Even the money they're making now doesn't compare to the hand-over-fist insanity of what they (and the other Japanese brands) were making during the Japanese bubble era that allowed them to dunk billions into developing cars like the LS400 and Supra.

If the Tokyo Imperial Palace back then was worth more than the entire value of California, then Toyota probably had enough assets to buy all of New York if they wanted to.
Old 07-26-24, 12:30 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

It is unfortunate what is happening here with Toyota. However, it does happen. Actually, I joined some Hyundai forum groups and they, along with Kia, are having massive problems with several types of engines self-destructing. Sounds way worse than what Toyota is experiencing.

Quick Reply: Toyota to replace nearly all 3.5L TTV6s in Tundra and LX