Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota to replace nearly all 3.5L TTV6s in Tundra and LX

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:00 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,845 Likes on 2,404 Posts

True but people buy Toyota's to avoid the usual headaches.
Old Yesterday, 04:24 AM
LH1
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 99 Posts

What a disaster.

What about new GX 550 owners? Will they start having issues when they get to 7k miles or so? Yes, I know the GX has slightly different turbos but it seems this engine has multiple different issues.

Car Care Nut wasn't buying the "machining debris" excuse. He put out a 44 minute video a couple weeks ago about this.
Old Yesterday, 08:42 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,727 Likes on 1,954 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
What is the point of selling millions of ***** boxes if you're not going to use the billions of extra $$$ to make low volume enthusiast cars? Toyota used to make cars out of passion now they make the most boring forgettable rides on the road.
This I completely agree with.
Old Yesterday, 09:07 AM
Lwerewolf
Instructor

Received 250 Likes on 189 Posts

The (supposed - haven't personally checked) failures of engines built in plants other than the ones listed are reason enough to disqualify the "machining debris" thing, but we'll see.
Old Yesterday, 09:15 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

But that's an outlier Toyota's 3.5L TTV6 is a failure waiting to happen, all of them. I don't buy the excuse of debris, nope. I think they will revise the block and not tell anyone.
Wait...whhaaaat?

So every single engine has that problem????

The GM issue is worth mentioning but it's not widespread, they aren't all ticking time bombs.
Old Yesterday, 09:21 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by Lwerewolf
The (supposed - haven't personally checked) failures of engines built in plants other than the ones listed are reason enough to disqualify the "machining debris" thing, but we'll see.
I've read in a couple of places that all of the blocks are machined in Alabama, including those for the LX (then sent to Japan for engine build), but I really don't know if that's true or not. I'm at least a little skeptical of it.

On the Tundras forum, there has been a lot of talk of updates Toyota made to the engines in late 2023 and 2024 to address various issues, including different main bearings. Hopefully that means this will not need to be expanded to cover more recent builds. I do, however, expect that they will have to expand it to cover the hybrids of those affected years. I think they're just prioritizing the standard engine models first.

One thing is for sure, if you're willing to stomach the potential risk, this is a great time to pick up a new Tundra!
Old Yesterday, 09:25 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JDR76
I've read in a couple of places that all of the blocks are machined in Alabama, including those for the LX (then sent to Japan for engine build), but I really don't know if that's true or not. I'm at least a little skeptical of it.

On the Tundras forum, there has been a lot of talk of updates Toyota made to the engines in late 2023 and 2024 to address various issues, including different main bearings. Hopefully that means this will not need to be expanded to cover more recent builds. I do, however, expect that they will have to expand it to cover the hybrids of those affected years. I think they're just prioritizing the standard engine models first.

One thing is for sure, if you're willing to stomach the potential risk, this is a great time to pick up a new Tundra!
Meanwhile, Tundras like yours are worth a fortune now.
Old Yesterday, 10:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
Also hybrid owners. I thought the hybrid 3.4 is the same engine produced on the same line, just with an electric motor between it and the transmission?

I would be beyond livid if my truck ended up being down for weeks. The rollout of this program is going to be very drawn out. It takes the dealerships weeks to do a single engine replacement under normal workload. Are they going to end up cutting corners to try and turn these things around? Are owners going to be losing money with their trucks sitting at the dealership for weeks to months while long blocks are on backorder?

There's probably no such thing as a "simple" engine replacement anymore. First, in an effort to quell engine noise/vibration, the motor mounts themselves are a lot more complex these days, and sometimes filled with fluid. Second, each cylinder now often has its own coil, wiring, and ignition system instead of a single distributor and a single wire to each spark plug. Sometimes you have dual spark plugs in each cylinder instead of one. Then, you have an endless number of vacuum hoses, tubes, sensors, fuel lines/injectors, and other engine-related hardware. In short, it can be a mess.....long gone are the days when shade-tree mechanics could pop an engine in and out in a couple of hours.
Old Yesterday, 10:54 AM
Lwerewolf
Instructor

Received 250 Likes on 189 Posts

This has been the case for like... at least 30 years now?
Old Yesterday, 11:58 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

I've seen pictures of these tundras with their engines out and disassembled and it's a total mess. I hope Toyota offers free alcohol rehab services to the techs after this is done.
Old Yesterday, 01:01 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
That theory makes no sense since the LS500's engine is already entirely made in Japan. It would be significantly more expensive to ship thousands of engine blocks to the other side of the globe each year than to just machine it domestically.

Lexus manufacturing the ES in Kentucky was a huge deal that involved a lot of PR to quell owners, I doubt owners of Lexus's most expensive vehicle would respond well knowing that their engines are made on the same assembly line as a US Tundra.

Last edited by Motorola; Yesterday at 01:05 PM.
Old Yesterday, 01:52 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,410 Likes on 1,580 Posts

What is the point of selling millions of ***** boxes if you're not going to use the billions of extra $$$ to make low volume enthusiast cars? Toyota used to make cars out of passion now they make the most boring forgettable rides on the road.
not everyone's goal is to sell millions of ***** boxes in order to make low volume enthusiast cars but i get what you're saying that most manufacturers do it to add some 'excitement' to their line-up even if those enthusiast cars will ultimately only appeal to very few people. i could imagine some car company ceo's having little interest in doing enthusiast cars.

but this speaks to a broader issue in the ice engine / car industry which is regulation. global regulations have really put the car company's 'jewels' in a vice... between fuel economy requirements, emissions requirements, fines, taxes on larger displacement engines, and governments pushing them to do the uh, 'other' propulsion system we're not allowed to mention on car chat.

so if a car company like toyota has had 'tried and true' v8s, v6s, 4 cylinders, even i6's at one time, but suddenly has to make them MUCH cleaner, efficient, but still powerful enough to meet market expectations without going crazy in cost, that's a MASSIVE challenge.

i believe this 'squeeze' is what's making some engines have catastrophic failures. obviously it's not industry wide, but it's definitely affecting some important engines in some big name vehicles.
Old Yesterday, 04:07 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

That engine is only there because of CAFE. Still, this is a massive fail for Toyota.

Imagine if they updated the 5.7, they could have easily bumped it up above 6L and over 400hp and then offered a S/C version for real fun.
Old Yesterday, 04:13 PM
LH1
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Imagine if they updated the 5.7, they could have easily bumped it up above 6L and over 400hp and then offered a S/C version for real fun.
Exactly. Should have bumped the 3UR to 6.0L and pair it with the 10 AT. Could've been so simple Toyota.

Old Yesterday, 04:21 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LH1
Exactly. Should have bumped the 3UR to 6.0L and pair it with the 10 AT. Could've been so simple Toyota.
Yep. Who cares if V8s would be old (but updated) designs if they were still around, that's fine by me.

I'm about as angry that the LC500 has a V8 from 2006ish as I get when it starts to rain at night in bed when I'm half asleep.

Quick Reply: Toyota to replace nearly all 3.5L TTV6s in Tundra and LX