Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota to replace nearly all 3.5L TTV6s in Tundra and LX

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 04:55 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,207 Likes on 896 Posts

Or....and hear me out....just give us the 4.0TT engine they already had finished and ready. Put it in the trucks, the cars, the SUVs, go nuts! I would have stayed with the brand if they used that engine
Old Yesterday, 05:07 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Or....and hear me out....just give us the 4.0TT engine they already had finished and ready. Put it in the trucks, the cars, the SUVs, go nuts! I would have stayed with the brand if they used that engine
Oh, I hear ya. See, a 4.0L V8 is a nice engine from the get go, before forced induction. That's why I'm not so put off by turbo V8s.
Old Yesterday, 08:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,727 Likes on 1,954 Posts

This thread is about the recall on this engine guys, lets not let it deteriorate into another discussion of the prior model or the prior engine...they're gone...they're over.
Old Yesterday, 08:56 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

So, y’all think this FB post (not mine) is dramatic or accurate? That last sentence is a bold claim.

Last edited by AJT123; Yesterday at 09:27 PM.
Old Yesterday, 09:58 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,207 Likes on 896 Posts

Probably is tbh. I don't agree it can't be done, everyone else HAS done it already.
Old Yesterday, 10:13 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

The thread on the Tundras forum is interesting. Lots of comments along the lines of “this is great! I’ve had 50k trouble free miles and soon I’ll get a new engine and start back at zero with a new engine!”

Glass half full.

Im definitely thinking of picking one up. I LOVED my test drive with a new hybrid version.
Old Yesterday, 10:16 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 971 Likes on 775 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
So, y’all think this FB post (not mine) is dramatic or accurate? That last sentence is a bold claim.
It's accurate in my opinion.
And it goes for all mfgs.

In a high performance car, ok.
In a daily driver that needs to be dependable, I don't like to see the engine pushed harder than the stresses of 100hp per liter, crazy max.

But preferably much less.
Old Yesterday, 11:29 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Just sounds like salty old guys clinging to the past. Ford has been using turbocharged V6's in trucks for almost 15 years now. The 3.5 and 2.7 both tow fine and have proven longevity.

Toyota messed up their implementation, that doesn't mean turbocharging is stupid. It's not the boost that's destroying these engines, it's the fact that Toyota apparently doesn't know you're supposed to remove machining debris from the engine block when you manufacture it. Did the turbocharger enter the factory and blow metal shavings into the rotating assemblies?
Old Today, 04:55 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

All of it is nonsense. But good for Toyota for recalling them all.

Lots of issues on Tundra overall. Not great look for the brand.

Since I have 8 years at dealership in Europe, Toyota engines were never perfect. Makes me wonder how terrible others are.
But hard to say it was biggest disaster when we have AD, MZ, ZZ, VD and who knows what else that i forgot about.

Small hybrids are great, does not help Tundra. Also V35A fails pretty quickly, others took at least a year to start showing problems.

But agai, problem with Tundra is unrelenting non stop news about issues and recalls.
Old Today, 05:09 AM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
The thread on the Tundras forum is interesting. Lots of comments along the lines of “this is great! I’ve had 50k trouble free miles and soon I’ll get a new engine and start back at zero with a new engine!”

Glass half full.

Im definitely thinking of picking one up. I LOVED my test drive with a new hybrid version.
I was thinking the same couple days ago then I built one and at $80k the thought faded away seeing I wouldn’t daily it and it would sit parked unless it’s time to hitch up. However It tows great but I wasn’t happy with the quality. Then also reading on tundras forums about quality issues doesn’t help either.

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
Just sounds like salty old guys clinging to the past. Ford has been using turbocharged V6's in trucks for almost 15 years now. The 3.5 and 2.7 both tow fine and have proven longevity.

Toyota messed up their implementation, that doesn't mean turbocharging is stupid. It's not the boost that's destroying these engines, it's the fact that Toyota apparently doesn't know you're supposed to remove machining debris from the engine block when you manufacture it. Did the turbocharger enter the factory and blow metal shavings into the rotating assemblies?
Not trying to be funny but how long is proven longevity in Ford world? Even on the 3rd gen Tundra, I don’t buy extended warranties but due to replacement cost of the Toyota’s TT engine, I would definitely purchase their longest warranty. Then after the warranty runs its course I would be on pins and needles owning it out of warranty.
Old Today, 05:14 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Just sounds like salty old guys clinging to the past. Ford has been using turbocharged V6's in trucks for almost 15 years now. The 3.5 and 2.7 both tow fine and have proven ?
The EBs have proven themselves for the most part but they’re still not as bulletproof as your V8. How many gears in your transmission?
Old Today, 05:24 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,727 Likes on 1,954 Posts

Totally, if Ford can do this Toyota certainly can. Ford went through growing pains too
Old Today, 10:04 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
I was thinking the same couple days ago then I built one and at $80k the thought faded away seeing I wouldn’t daily it and it would sit parked unless it’s time to hitch up. However It tows great but I wasn’t happy with the quality. Then also reading on tundras forums about quality issues doesn’t help either.

Not trying to be funny but how long is proven longevity in Ford world? Even on the 3rd gen Tundra, I don’t buy extended warranties but due to replacement cost of the Toyota’s TT engine, I would definitely purchase their longest warranty. Then after the warranty runs its course I would be on pins and needles owning it out of warranty.
200k+ miles on these things. Probably a lot of 300k engines by now. The only real issues the EB have had were timing chains and carbon build up(caused by the direct injection on the first gen. 2nd Gen solved this with dual injection).

Contrary to Internet meme culture, Fords don't magically self destruct at 50,000 miles.
​​
Old Today, 10:06 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

To be fair one of the first widespread issues with this Tundra were the turbo wastegates going out. This engine just can't catch a break.
Old Today, 10:09 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 656 Likes on 410 Posts

The better way to look at this is that whether it’s one or both of an engineering/design issue or a manufacturing issue, Toyota will diagnose it, fix it and will end up with a better engine.

Quick Reply: Toyota to replace nearly all 3.5L TTV6s in Tundra and LX