Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota to replace nearly all 3.5L TTV6s in Tundra and LX

Search this Thread

Old Today, 10:36 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,207 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
I was thinking the same couple days ago then I built one and at $80k the thought faded away seeing I wouldn’t daily it and it would sit parked unless it’s time to hitch up. However It tows great but I wasn’t happy with the quality. Then also reading on tundras forums about quality issues doesn’t help either.

Not trying to be funny but how long is proven longevity in Ford world? Even on the 3rd gen Tundra, I don’t buy extended warranties but due to replacement cost of the Toyota’s TT engine, I would definitely purchase their longest warranty. Then after the warranty runs its course I would be on pins and needles owning it out of warranty.
The fords have occasional issues but I've seen enough of them over 200k I would say they are fine...
Old Today, 10:39 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
The fords have occasional issues but I've seen enough of them over 200k I would say they are fine...
They're fun. But I'd love to try a V8 F-150 after driving the full zoot 3.5.
Old Today, 10:54 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
Not trying to be funny but how long is proven longevity in Ford world?.
Fix Or Repair Daily. Ford has worse problems

recalls seem to be worse than Hyundai.

Old Today, 10:58 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,207 Likes on 896 Posts

It is still ford after all, but their stuff does work fine. Not great, but fine.....

Gm is the same but they tend to cheap out even more for the lower end cars than ford, Chrysler is the same but they generally have great designs but it's a dice roll if your particular car will be good or not.
Old Today, 11:03 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Manufacturing defect or design? Pathetic either way. Ford has building trucks for how long? Just don’t blame the Union Labour lol

anyway.

good for Toyota to replace the engines. I always said it was manufacturing defect and not a design problem. Good work Toyota for stepping up 👏
Old Today, 11:05 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

reaplcing the engines is the right move, not just the short block. I wouldnt be surprised if they found out short block repair only still had high failure rates. Debris contaminates the oil system, turbochargers. I saw one video that said short block repair is around 30 hours and ties up an enormous amount of shop space. If a short block repair fails again thats more time accumulated for lemon law and toyota has to buy it back. Its going to be less risky and less time consuming overall to just put a whole new engine in it than to cheap out and try a short block repair.

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
Just sounds like salty old guys clinging to the past. Ford has been using turbocharged V6's in trucks for almost 15 years now. The 3.5 and 2.7 both tow fine and have proven longevity.

Toyota messed up their implementation, that doesn't mean turbocharging is stupid. It's not the boost that's destroying these engines, it's the fact that Toyota apparently doesn't know you're supposed to remove machining debris from the engine block when you manufacture it. Did the turbocharger enter the factory and blow metal shavings into the rotating assemblies?
it took ford around 5 years just to get to a gen 2 ecoboost engine to iron out the issues, it had issues early on. Tundra has only been out 2 years, we dont know of any long term issues, its too early.