Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

toyota's u.s. pricing problem

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:48 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
This is not the Toyota of the 1990s..
I think Toyota has the right product

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2024/07...e-study-finds/
Old Yesterday, 06:51 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,413 Likes on 1,582 Posts

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
There is just massive demand for Toyotas. Especially hybrids.
toyota may be able to sell all it can make and the dealers are raking it in with all the markups, but i believe toyota could be doing worlds better if their supply wasn't so constrained. it's a great 'problem' to have but clearly toyota can't make enough of certainly vehicles or hybrids in general. i guess that changes now about hybrids since camrys will ALL be hybrids.

Old Yesterday, 06:55 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Those guys who made that video are all doom and gloom clickbait about the auto market. I wouldn't take anything they say at face value. I totally agree with you about the Toyota purchase process, since COVID its been ridiculous, but Toyota is not "F%&ed" lol.
agree there's hyperbole in that video title, but i also agree with many points they make, namely that toyota's use of distributors is horribly bad for consumers. the distributors limit choice and inflate prices, forcing many consumers to give up or buy elsewhere.

i believe toyota would be much better served getting rid of the distributors and managing their dealers in a more disciplined way. of course it's complex because they can't fix end consumer prices for independent dealers for example. but distributors and dealers who gouge consumers should be made to suffer.

and as said above, i think toyota is leaving a ton of sales/profits on the floor by not doing this.
Old Yesterday, 06:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
tbut i believe toyota could be doing worlds better if their supply wasn't so constrained.
Agreed. I waited for months trying to get a test-drive of the Corolla Cross because none were available. And it would not have necessarily have been a waste of the dealer's time, because, if for any reason Buick soon folds in the American market, the Corolla Cross is a vehicle I would seriously consider, although the interior does not impress me much. Still, I have respect for its drivetrain and mechanicals.
Old Yesterday, 07:39 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Toyota is only making more profits per vehicle because of all the dealer markups being slapped on their more limited supply. It's not that there's more demand for Toyota products than ever, it's that they're having trouble even reaching the volume of cars they sold prior to COVID. There's a clear supply chain issue that's hurting the brand and they need to resolve it if they ever want to go back above 2 million cars per year in the US.

Old Yesterday, 08:09 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
toyota may be able to sell all it can make and the dealers are raking it in with all the markups, but i believe toyota could be doing worlds better if their supply wasn't so constrained. it's a great 'problem' to have but clearly toyota can't make enough of certainly vehicles or hybrids in general. i guess that changes now about hybrids since camrys will ALL be hybrids.
‘I don’t really care at the end of the day. I am fortunate enough to not have to worry about a new car at the moment (knock on wood). We have 4 vehicles for the two of us. I would never pay a cent of interest for a vehicle either. That said, young folks have it hard today, they need to work harder than ever and that is good. Working hard can only bring benefits….On the other hand, kudos to Toyota for making as much money as then can in the United States, that is the American Dream. Doing well. We were looking at cars today at an auto park. Checking out GM, they had a lot of EVs on the front lot, at least 30 EVs sitting unsold. I think Toyota was right about you know what. No new stock at Toyota on the lot next door.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; Yesterday at 08:20 PM.
Old Yesterday, 09:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Motorola
Toyota is only making more profits per vehicle because of all the dealer markups being slapped on their more limited supply.
uh, the dealer and distributor markups go to them, not toyota.

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
‘I don’t really care at the end of the day.
ok thx bye.

kudos to Toyota for making as much money as then can in the United States,
again, the markups don't benefit toyota, except they don't have to pay dealer incentives for cars the public really doesn't want.