Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What’s the most important factor in buying a vehicle

Search this Thread

Old Today, 05:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Thats ridiculous lol. Looking at pictures of things on a screen is not the same thing as going and experiencing those things for yourself. Travel and experiencing new places and seeing new things is really one of the best parts of life. Hiking and being out in nature are good for you.
Ridiculous? Not IMO. I've been to a lot of places myself, and, being from a military family, spent a lot of my youth traveling and living in different countries. I've all driven all over the Eastern U.S., both alone and with family. You see a lot of the same things (not everything, of course) I saw with Google's street-level function.

Anyhow, back to the thread-topic.......priorities when buying a vehicle. I look for driving comfort, reasonable quality/reliability, affordable price, nice interior, and suitability to my driving style, which, in my case, is now something small and maneuverable, higher off the ground, and easy to drive and park. That's why I chose an Encore GX...it fit all of those criteria better than anything else currently in the U.S. market.

Last edited by mmarshall; Today at 06:04 PM.
Old Today, 06:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Eh, having better stuff allows me to experience things others can't. Like why would I ever pay to go to a concert when I have access to an 120k stereo? It will never sound as good and I have to deal with a bunch of people or pay for a private box and still not have as good a time. I went to broadway and blew $850 on a box a few times, it was fine but hellishly overpriced for what you get....
Stuff is just stuff, you are cheating yourself of real life experiences. Seeing the musical acts for instance that I have seen live are great memories, there is no replacement to seeing and feeling live music...certainly not a recording of music on however incredible a stereo. Being amongst people is part of the experience. I have seen musicians perform that you can't see anymore because they're dead or no longer performing, etc.

I would rather listen to live music from a no name band in some bar than recorded music on that $120k stereo lol

Whereas most will never run a 4 car convoy with friends all in fast cars going 150+ with countermeasures and radios.
You realize what you describe is an experience right? Thats not a thing...the car is a means by which you can have experiences but the real joy is in the experiences.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Ridiculous? Not IMO. I've been to a lot of places myself, and, being from a military family, spent a lot of my youth traveling and living in different countries. I've all driven all over the Eastern U.S., both alone and with family. You see a lot of the same things (not everything, of course) I saw with Google's street-level function.
If you truly believe you get the same experience from Google earth that you get experiencing a place yourself I think thats really sad, and I feel sorry for you.
Old Today, 06:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Stuff is just stuff, you are cheating yourself of real life experiences. Seeing the musical acts for instance that I have seen live are great memories, there is no replacement to seeing and feeling live music...certainly not a recording of music on however incredible a stereo.

You realize what you describe is an experience right? Thats not a thing...the car is a means by which you can have experiences but the real joy is in the experiences.

If you truly believe you get the same experience from Google earth that you get experiencing a place yourself I think thats really sad, and I feel sorry for you.
I've seen a lot of places from BOTH behind the wheel, and the same place in Google-View, so I have a basis for comparison. And, Thank You, but you don't have to feel sorry for me....I lead a relatively contented life, subject, of course, to the physical limitations of my age...I'm not a 20-year-old.
Old Today, 06:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Sorry, looking at pictures somebody else took on a screen will never be a replacement for experiencing something for yourself. Its one thing to be unable to travel (I know people who can't walk at all who travel and people 100 years old who travel, so can't is relative) but another thing to pretend travel has no benefit because you can look at pictures.
Old Today, 07:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Sorry, looking at pictures somebody else took on a screen will never be a replacement for experiencing something for yourself. Its one thing to be unable to travel (I know people who can't walk at all who travel and people 100 years old who travel, so can't is relative) but another thing to pretend travel has no benefit because you can look at pictures.
Well, OK...perhaps one place I've been, several times, is impressive on Google-screen, but, in some ways, nothing can compare with actually driving it....the famous Uniontown, PA Summit Mountain descent on U.S. 40 down the west face of Chestnut Ridge....which I've spoken of a number of times. 3.5 miles at a more or less continuous 10% grade. The Sandstone Mountain grade in WV is longer, but nowhere near as steep. The sheer continuous steepness of it, the beautiful view of the city below at the Point-Lookout just below the Summit is an experience. The first time I drove it alone (18 years old, on the way to Ohio from D.C) I white-knuckled it and tightly gripped the wheel every foot of the way down, in second gear of the three-on-the-tree transmission to save the brakes...my blood pressure must have doubled in those three miles. You can't really duplicate that kind of apprehension from a Google-shot or video.

Old Today, 07:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You need to see more places lol
Old Today, 07:58 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
Methodology is key, but to say "only 8,400 people" implying that the sample size is small is a looking for a problem where none may exist. You don't need anywhere close to 8400 people, for example, to survey the entire adult population of the United States with a 3% margin of error (in other words, a 95% chance that the survey result will be within 3% of the population value). Probably even half of that could get that margin of error down to 1.5%%
Your point is taken. But i still feel its a limited poll and doesn’t specify if they polled folks buying New or Used cars and what income level they are at.

I think the time period when the poll was taken also played a part in fuel efficiency ranking so high.
Old Today, 08:04 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
Right? Most people i know outside of work do not have an extra $2-300 per month to spend. They run out of money before they run out of month.

I only paid $30k OTD for my 540i, and I still hear a lot of "must be nice.....". If they knew I paid cash i think their minds would be completely blown.

Pretty much everybody on this forum is in the top 5-10% of income in the US(unless they're like me when i joined as a broke college student driving an LS400 at the time).
I understand young people worrying about a few hundred bucks but if you’re in your 30s and older, it’s not a huge deal. If you want to talk crazy expenses then try raising a few kids lol - summer camp, sports, clothes, food etc. My gas expense is probably one of the last things I worry about.

I think car insurance costs have been much more significant in last 2 years and have probably really hurt lower income folks badly.
Old Today, 08:13 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
You fine folks already know what I would say.

Leather, wood trim, and chrome.
If it has that it probably has everything else I want and need. Lol
Took the words right out of my mouth. Let's add a good V8 that we don't care doesn't do 0-60 in 3.5 seconds to round it out.

LS430 is like a fancy bordello inside with all the wood and leather hahaha. There's chrome in there too. It is just such an old car now, but man they did them right.
Old Today, 08:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I understand young people worrying about a few hundred bucks but if you’re in your 30s and older, it’s not a huge deal. If you want to talk crazy expenses then try raising a few kids lol - summer camp, sports, clothes, food etc. My gas expense is probably one of the last things I worry about.
Again, you are totally out of touch. Those crazy expenses you mention are a big reason why $200-$300 a month is a huge amount of money to the vast majority of families. Most families can not begin to afford sending their kids to camp for example, buy clothes for their kids at Walmart and in secondhand stores. 20% of American families are on welfare. Middle class families are stretched financially like never before, and $200 a month is a huge amount of money to save for a family.

Gas expense is one of the last things you worry about because you are rich. Most people worry about every expense and fuel is one of their biggest expenses outside of their housing and their food.