Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What’s the most important factor in buying a vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-24, 05:27 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,232 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Stuff is just stuff, you are cheating yourself of real life experiences. Seeing the musical acts for instance that I have seen live are great memories, there is no replacement to seeing and feeling live music...certainly not a recording of music on however incredible a stereo. Being amongst people is part of the experience. I have seen musicians perform that you can't see anymore because they're dead or no longer performing, etc.

I would rather listen to live music from a no name band in some bar than recorded music on that $120k stereo lol

You realize what you describe is an experience right? Thats not a thing...the car is a means by which you can have experiences but the real joy is in the experiences.

If you truly believe you get the same experience from Google earth that you get experiencing a place yourself I think thats really sad, and I feel sorry for you.
Then you have never heard a good stereo, sorry it I've heard enough live music and I was in a symphony group for a while. It doesn't compare to the emotion and engagement you get from a good system. Having people there massively detract from an experience like that, I don't want a bunch of random people around if I can help it.

Yeah I know it's an experience, that I can't have unless I have stuff. That's my point. I can go get an insane adrenaline hit at will because of what I have
Old 07-31-24, 05:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,749 Likes on 1,966 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Then you have never heard a good stereo, sorry it I've heard enough live music and I was in a symphony group for a while. It doesn't compare to the emotion and engagement you get from a good system. Having people there massively detract from an experience like that, I don't want a bunch of random people around if I can help it.

Yeah I know it's an experience, that I can't have unless I have stuff. That's my point. I can go get an insane adrenaline hit at will because of what I have
We just are never going to see eye to eye on this. No matter how incredible a stereo its not the same as watching and listening to live music. The emotion you get from a recording is nothing compared to the emotion you get from actually watching and listening to a performer live with a group of people. Look at all of these people at Taylor Swift concerts. Ask any of them if they felt that concert was not worth the insane cost? They will remember being a part of that tour forever. You can watch it on TV, but its not the same.

Its like leather...no matter how excellent the fake leather is...its not leather. I want real leather...and I want real music performed by real people live in front of me.

The stuff is the vehicle by which you have the experience, thats my point. Its like having a boat, what is fun about the boat is the lifestyle the boat brings and the experiences it brings. Not the physical boat itself.
Old 07-31-24, 05:51 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

My problem is a lot of the performances I would love to have seen a live...the performers aren't in peak performing state anymore(and a lot of them aren't even alive).
Old 07-31-24, 06:03 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,232 Likes on 916 Posts

We just are never going to see eye to eye on this. No matter how incredible a stereo its not the same as watching and listening to live music. The emotion you get from a recording is nothing compared to the emotion you get from actually watching and listening to a performer live with a group of people. Look at all of these people at Taylor Swift concerts. Ask any of them if they felt that concert was not worth the insane cost? They will remember being a part of that tour forever. You can watch it on TV, but its not the same.

Its like leather...no matter how excellent the fake leather is...its not leather. I want real leather...and I want real music performed by real people live in front of me.

The stuff is the vehicle by which you have the experience, thats my point. It'slike having a boat, what is fun about the boat is the lifestyle the boat brings and the experiences it brings. Not the physical boat itself.
For you.

I have dropped 1000s on broadway and live events etc and have been a performer in bands etc and I'm telling you it's just not the same as relaxing alone with a glass of scotch, a charcuterie board and no one else to annoy you. Plus I can go from any album I want to another at will as many times I want as long as I want and once again the sound quality is on a completely different level than any live performance.

I have witnessed people cry for minutes at a time when they hear bands they love and have seen live on a high end stereo and admit it was superior in all ways to live. That's not fake and it's a real "experience" as you put it.....enabled by having nice things

Last edited by Striker223; 07-31-24 at 06:07 PM.
Old 07-31-24, 06:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker223
For you.
Thats why I said we're not going to see eye to eye on this...I don't agree on any level. Give me a real live experience. Live music isn't about "sound quality"... You're into things and I'm just not. I like certain nice things too (cars are the big one) but I wonder is it the music you are attracted to there, or the stereo you're listening to it on?

My advice to people is if you have to choose between spending money on things or experiences...I suggest experiences. You suggest things. Thats fine.

Last edited by SW17LS; 07-31-24 at 06:16 PM.
Old 07-31-24, 07:55 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
Have you experienced Alligator dodging? Pictures and the internet just couldn’t live up to the real thing.
trolling. again.

Thats what I responded to by saying "if you have to chooce between experiences and stuff, you should choose experiences". You actually agree with me, you're just trying to argue with me lol
no i don't and no i'm not "lol". EVERYTHING is an experience. doing nothing is STILL an experience. experiences are subjective. and buying and owning/renting a car or other stuff is still an experience. it seems your definition of experience is something that leave an indelible memory you and others think of year and decades later, perhaps even after we're all gone. but that's ALSO true of some stuff. many people are extremely sentimental about stuff and hand it down across generations, whether it be scrapbooks, art, trophies, a classic car, whatever. and that STUFF still brings back feelings and memories.

so i think your talk of choosing between stuff and experiences is a false dichotomy. both can be frivolous or profound.

Again, nobody is saying you should compromise...I was saying If you have to choose between the two, you should choose experiences. I don't think thats a controversial statement and most people with life experience that I have known would give the same advice.
of course you don't think it's controversial, because you believe it to be singularly true and immutable. you're entitled to your opinion, even if it's wrong. i'm saying stuff and experiences are important, and no, i don't think one should always choose some non-stuff experience over stuff.

Thats exactly my point, in the grand scheme of things stuff just doesn't matter.
try this... MOST stuff doesn't matter, and MOST experiences don't either. was going to the dmv for the first time an 'experience'? maybe. was going to 10th time to get a tag or whatever a memorable 'experience'? probably not. how about going to the supermarket? always a memorable 'experience'?

another thing you might be saying is people should get outside their comfort zone to experience new things that will alter their reality an broaden their viewpoint on life. i am on board with that. we ONLY grow by going outside our comfort zone. sometimes we're dragged into it, and sometimes we go willingly (even though by definition it will be uncomfortable at first at least). a classic example is jumping out of a perfectly good airplane for the first time. have you done this? you're always saying "you should" to people on here. i don't like to say that because it's not my place to say what people 'should' do. i have a family member who often does that and it's annoying.

everyone's life experience is different, and everyone WILL have experiences with or without stuff. again, while i agree with you that on one's deathbed most stuff will be utterly irrelevant, so will most experiences be too. reminds me of 'rosebud' in citizen kane.

When I'm gone, my kids will still remember the trips we took to Disney World, and the trips we will take them on elsewhere in the world as they get older and the times we spent together...
you can't be sure of that. they may remember some, but likely not all, and not all positively. reminds me a bit of clark griswold - great intentions, lovable guy, wanting great family experiences, but a lot of it ended up pretty painful, lol.

If they want to go off and graduate college and backpack through europe vs buying a car...then I think thats a great idea.
it's all experience either way. my sister's lived in the same town i grew up in, bought a house with her husband, and they've never moved. it's not for me but that's their experience. they know every inch of the town, but they do get away for other 'experiences' but again, everything is an experience. they don't go out of their comfort zone much, which may be what you're getting at, and i think that's a shame. fear and unwillingness to go outside our comfort zone are ultimately what hold us back. you and most people on here have taken chances into unknowns, starting careers and businesses, moving all over, etc., which brought a broader perspective and affluence.

Totally, experiences don't have to be travelling...
can you clarify?

In terms of homes, a nice comfortable place to live is important. I see a lot of people paying so much of their incomes towards a huge home they don't need though and it keeps them from being able to do other things.
struggling with a home that's too much is an experience also. it's not going to machu pichu, etc., but it can sear strong memories and emotions all the same.

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I'm quite a bit older than most here and after all these years my wife and I still talk about our parents and things we did while growing up, places we went, things we'd have for dinner, other experiences etc. like they just happened. Our kids are doing the same these days lol.
right but you might also talk about the experience of that car you had that broke down someplace and the adventure that lead to. all of life is experiences, some more interesting and profound (or terrifying!) than others.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
One thing that you all are missing from this discussion is that, with Google Street-View, it's not just looking at still images or photographs. You can actually move and "drive" down the road and see what is all around you just by clicking the mouse and the 360 degree views. In fact, I've actually repeated some entire trips on-screen that I took across the Appalachians (and to the shore) when I was younger.
i agree and have done this with a relative who has dementia, 'taking' them to places they lived decades ago and seeing them light up, amazed to see those places, how they've changed, or haven't. before i visited the house my mom now lives in a friend had just got a new ipad and was showing me street view. i brought up my mom's house on street view and it was a great experience. when i finally got to the house i said 'yup, just like google street view!'

And, BTW, good posts, bitkahuna. You have good perception.
thank you sir.

We just are never going to see eye to eye on this. No matter how incredible a stereo its not the same as watching and listening to live music.
not the same no, but again, both are experiences. i guess you're a people person and like to be around people in a shared experience.

The emotion you get from a recording is nothing compared to the emotion you get from actually watching and listening to a performer live with a group of people.
you can't speak for someone else's emotions. the emotion YOU get may be nothing compared, but you can't speak for striker or anyone's joy/bliss at hearing a 100k audio system or whatever. it's SUBJECTIVE.

Look at all of these people at Taylor Swift concerts. Ask any of them if they felt that concert was not worth the insane cost? They will remember being a part of that tour forever. You can watch it on TV, but its not the same.
of course not the same no, and we can rationalize anything (insane cost, endless lines, hot sweaty stadium, etc), but sure, it's likely to be a one of a kind experience.

earlier this year i went to a concert with billy joel and sting. i love their songs, and they put on a great show. but it is not really an indelible memory. maybe because i'd seen billy joel before and often the 'first time' for anything is a more impactful experience of course.

you haven't figured out you're in the matrix yet and none of t's real, lol. and a ton of big concert stuff is fake these days or heavily augmented by backing tracks and of course autotune, etc.

as for leather vs the fake stuff, i think that's nostalgia mixed with snobbery on your part, but you do you. the better fake stuff is incredibly consistent, hard wearing, looks and feels great. and i don't have to think i'm sitting on a dead cow which obviously doesn't bother you.

My advice to people is if you have to choose between spending money on things or experiences...I suggest experiences. You suggest things. Thats fine.
and no doubt you will keep repeating the false dichotomy it over and over. i have an expression: "beware of the person who is sure". you are very sure of things like this.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 07-31-24 at 09:02 PM.
Old 07-31-24, 08:49 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

56% of people is a majority of people...and its the factor that people rated as being especially important the most. Unquestionably this data shows that for a majority of car buyers fuel economy is very important.

I said if you have to choose between the two. Not that you must choose between the two. If you have to choose between buying stuff and paying for experiences, my advice would be to pay for the experiences. Luckily I and many of us here don't have to choose.

Better than nothing, but not as good as going for real.

I don't agree. I like real stuff and want to experience things myself for real.

Things worth doing have risks.

Not a life changing experience no, its a nice thing that I enjoy but if having it meant I couldn't take my kids on vacation etc I would choose taking my kids on vacation.

Lets be honest, you're an extremely cynical person...I would suggest to others that they resist being cynical like that.

I stand by the advice that choosing life experiences over material things is the better choice.

If you can afford it, you should do it.

As for Disney, Disney is not fake. You feel that way because you don't have any children. Taking my children to Disney and experiencing that joy with them and through them and spending that time and making those memories with them is as real as life gets my friend. WAY more important than a car that will be enjoyed for a few years and then be discarded.

Right, it’s the median...but even to hosueholds who make more than $75k a year $300 a month is still not a trivial amount of money. I make many times that a year and I really thought long and hard before I spent $360 a month more for my S580. I sell people 7 figure homes for a living who make lots and lots of money, and $300 a month matters to them too. That’s why people care about fuel economy.
[QUOTE=bitkahuna;11765181]trolling. again.

no i don't and no i'm not "lol". EVERYTHING is an experience. doing nothing is STILL an experience. experiences are subjective. and buying and owning/renting a car or other stuff is still an experience. it seems your definition of experience is something that leave an indelible memory you and others think of year and decades later, perhaps even after we're all gone. but that's ALSO true of some stuff. many people are extremely sentimental about stuff and hand it down across generations, whether it be scrapbooks, art, trophies, a classic car, whatever. and that STUFF still brings back feelings and memories.

so i think your talk of choosing between stuff and experiences is a false dichotomy. both can be frivolous or profound.

of course you don't think it's controversial, because you believe it to be singularly true and immutable. you're entitled to your opinion, even if it's wrong. i'm saying stuff and experiences are important, and no, i don't think one should always choose some non-stuff experience over stuff.

try this... MOST stuff doesn't matter, and MOST experiences don't either. was going to the dmv for the first time an 'experience'? maybe. was going to 10th time to get a tag or whatever a memorable 'experience'? probably not. how about going to the supermarket? always a memorable 'experience'?

another thing you might be saying is people should get outside their comfort zone to experience new things that will alter their reality an broaden their viewpoint on life. i am on board with that. we ONLY grow by going outside our comfort zone. sometimes we're dragged into it, and sometimes we go willingly (even though by definition it will be uncomfortable at first at least). a classic example is jumping out of a perfectly good airplane for the first time. have you done this? you're always saying "you should" to people on here. i don't like to say that because it's not my place to say what people 'should' do. i have a family member who often does that and it's annoying.

everyone's life experience is different, and everyone WILL have experiences with or without stuff. again, while i agree with you that on one's deathbed most stuff will be utterly irrelevant, so will most experiences be too. reminds me of 'rosebud' in citizen kane.

[quote]When I'm gone, my kids will still remember the trips we took to Disney World, and the trips we will take them on elsewhere in the world as they get older and the times we spent together...

you can't be sure of that. they may remember some, but likely not all, and not all positively. reminds me a bit of clark griswold - great intentions, lovable guy, wanting great family experiences, but a lot of it ended up pretty painful, lol.

it's all experience either way. my sister's lived in the same town i grew up in, bought a house with her husband, and they've never moved. it's not for me but that's their experience. they know every inch of the town, but they do get away for other 'experiences' but again, everything is an experience. they don't go out of their comfort zone much, which may be what you're getting at, and i think that's a shame. fear and unwillingness to go outside our comfort zone are ultimately what hold us back. you and most people on here have taken chances into unknowns, starting careers and businesses, moving all over, etc., which brought a broader perspective and affluence.

can you clarify?

struggling with a home that's too much is an experience also. it's not going to machu pichu, etc., but it can sear strong memories and emotions all the same.

right but you might also talk about the experience of that car you had that broke down someplace and the adventure that lead to. all of life is experiences, some more interesting and profound (or terrifying!) than others.

i agree and have done this with a relative who has dementia, 'taking' them to places they lived decades ago and seeing them light up, amazed to see those places, how they've changed, or haven't. before i visited the house my mom now lives in a friend had just got a new ipad and was showing me street view. i brought up my mom's house on street view and it was a great experience. when i finally got to the house i said 'yup, just like google street view!'

thank you sir.

not the same no, but again, both are experiences. i guess you're a people person and like to be around people in a shared experience.

you can't speak for someone else's emotions. the emotion YOU get may be nothing compared, but you can't speak for striker or anyone's joy/bliss at hearing a 100k audio system or whatever. it's SUBJECTIVE.

of course not the same no, and we can rationalize anything (insane cost, endless lines, hot sweaty stadium, etc), but sure, it's likely to be a one of a kind experience.

earlier this year i went to a concert with billy joel and sting. i love their songs, and they put on a great show. but it is not really an indelible memory. maybe because i'd seen billy joel before and often the 'first time' for anything is a more impactful experience of course.

you haven't figured out you're in the matrix yet and none of t's real, lol. and a ton of big concert stuff is fake these days or heavily augmented by backing tracks and of course autotune, etc.

as for leather vs the fake stuff, i think that's nostalgia mixed with snobbery on your part, but you do you. the better fake stuff is incredibly consistent, hard wearing, looks and feels great. and i don't have to think i'm sitting on a dead cow which obviously doesn't bother you.

and no doubt you will keep repeating the false dichotomy it over and over. i have an expression: "beware of the person who is sure". you are very sure of things like this.
I apologize.
Old 07-31-24, 09:03 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
I apologize.
appreciated.
Old 07-31-24, 11:31 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 482 Likes on 319 Posts

From reading this thread, it looks like consumers have very wide and varying priorities when it comes to purchasing motor vehicles.
Old 08-01-24, 12:09 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
From reading this thread, it looks like consumers have very wide and varying priorities when it comes to purchasing motor vehicles.
Yes they do but most people on here are enthusiasts so our preferences are going to be skewed compared to the poll and the general public. If we are looking at the majority of people I do believe that polls holds true. If you look at the majority of cars sold, all are appliances and not a great example of comfort/power but is good on gas mileage.
Old 08-01-24, 04:13 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by patgilm
If you look at the majority of cars sold, all are appliances and not a great example of comfort/power but is good on gas mileage.
agreed, but i think the majority of people, when going to buy a car, look more at their monthly payment (not even the car price) than whether the car has 20, 25, 30, 35 etc. mpg. most people can't even do the math to figure out how much the varying mpg's would cost or save them.

if a car they have gets 25 mpg and the one they're getting gets 35 and they're 'impressed' by that, let's look at the savings.
sample 12000 mi. a year.
current car @ 25mpg = 480 gallons
new car @ 35mpg = 343 gallons
so 137 less gallons a year.
@ $4/gallon, that's $548 savings a year or ~ $46/mo.

so with the price of new cars, while it's a savings, if their payment's going up $100, not so much.

my last work car switch (ice to ev) went from about $350 to about $550 monthly lease payment, but the ev is about $100 less a month to 'fuel', but still i didn't 'save money', although i do save time not having to go to gas stations.

sorry to stereotype, but i find female car buyers care more about a car's color than anything else.
Old 08-01-24, 06:06 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 773 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
This thread is about cars?

If we want to continue to talk about everything but cars, i'll relo this over to Clubhouse.
Old 08-01-24, 07:00 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

So if someone young came to you and they said I can do two things, but not both. I can buy a watch (a thing) for $20,000, or I can take an epic month long vacation through italy with my best friends which would you tell them to do? I would tell them to take the trip. Thats what I'm saying. It’s simply advice that comes from life experience. It’s not an edict to "never buy any things". You need to chill out, why does this trigger you so? Give your own advice. If you think they should buy the thing in that instance then tell them that, but I don't think you actually think that, and it’s not controversial advice.

This is what I said.

Yeah I can be sure. I'm not sure how your childhood was, but I have good memories of my childhood and the ones that stand out to me with my parents and my family are all the things we did together and especially the vacations we took. I'm not Clark Griswold...we have fun vacations that I am absolutely certain will be memories that will be meaningful in my kids lives. Even things that go wrong become positive memories. They are also meaningful to me and to my wife, we matter too.

If you had children you would get it, but you don't so you will never understand that.

can you clarify?
And have you jump down my throat more? No I'm not interested in clarifying lol

you can't speak for someone else's emotions. the emotion YOU get may be nothing compared, but you can't speak for striker or anyone's joy/bliss at hearing a 100k audio system or whatever. it's SUBJECTIVE

Read this oout loud, maybe write it down:

THIS IS MY VIEWPOINT AND I DON'T NEED TO QUALIFY IT AS SUCH. If you disagree with me, DISAGREE THEN. Everything I say is "FOR ME" and everuything you say is "FOR YOU".

So you think I'm a backwards looking snob and I think you're a cynical acerbic snob. So there we are lol

I am incredibly sure of my own life experiences yes, as are you. As is everybody. I am very confident that you're going to look back on your life and the people in your life and the experiences you had are going to be more meaningful to you than the stuff you had. I have never had a conversation with someone who is dying (and I have had many) where it was not that way. I haven’t had any conversations about “remember that great stereo I had” or “that car was really awesome” with dying loved ones. If you have had conversations with people in the same circumstances where they valued the stuff they had more than the people and experiences then please share that information. If not...get off my back.

Last edited by SW17LS; 08-01-24 at 07:10 AM.
Old 08-01-24, 08:03 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I would take the epic long vacation through Italy
Old 08-01-24, 08:28 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Read this oout loud, maybe write it down:

THIS IS MY VIEWPOINT AND I DON'T NEED TO QUALIFY IT AS SUCH. If you disagree with me, DISAGREE THEN. Everything I say is "FOR ME" and everuything you say is "FOR YOU".
you certainly don't need to qualify it for you, but you don't state things like that, you state it over and over emphatically that basically anyone would be a fool to disagree with you. i'm not doing the same, i'm saying everyone's experience is different and what is right for you isn't ALWAYS right for ANYONE else.

as for your example for the young person buying an expensive watch vs. taking a trip to italy, again it's not black and white. maybe the watch is the same one their parent had and they want that emotional connection to them. maybe they couldn't care less about italy. i agree that the italy trip (especially first time) would take most people out of their comfort zone and learn through those experiences (not necessarily all positive - pick pockets in rome anyone? lol).

although maybe owning the watch will take them to meeting other fancy watch owners and experts, lead to new lifelong friends and other experiences, etc.

the point is you just never know. i never know, and you never know. i am certainly willing to go outside my comfort zone though, for experiences with or without 'stuff', and will be doing so a couple of times this month, but not relevant here.

back to the thread topic... i would say the most important factor in buying a vehicle for most people is its cost. if they aren't comfortable with the cost, nothing else is relevant. after that it's probably color/design/reliability/features. fuel economy is a factor for most people but there's a lot of elasticity in it... someone might not buy a car getting 10mpg lol but they don't have to have a car that gets 40mpg, etc.

Quick Reply: What’s the most important factor in buying a vehicle