Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Vehicular noise ordinance cameras

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-24 | 10:14 AM
RadiantX45
Pit Crew

Im for it. Loud cars are annoying and I think the majority of residence would prefer not to hear them in their neighborhoods.
Old 07-31-24 | 10:29 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lwerewolf
Can't an unmarked police vehicle just pull you over for that? Sounds like lazy law enforcement officers.
Well of course they can, but police can't be everywhere at once and the obnoxious exhaust owners have figured out that they are less likely to get pulled over in the quieter suburbs. So that's where they are driving until they eventually end up getting caught and moving over to a different quiet suburb.

And to be clear, I have no problem with loud exhausts per se, but do with the *******s with modifications and all kinds of insane backfire driving around like idiots in packs at 2am.
Old 07-31-24 | 10:43 AM
LH1
Instructor

Originally Posted by swajames
And to be clear, I have no problem with loud exhausts per se, but do with the *******s with modifications and all kinds of insane backfire driving around like idiots in packs at 2am.
Same here. I don't want to hear straight piped WRX's and 350Z's at 2am. If those guys are the ones catching the violations I'm fine with that.

Will Montgomery County actually get any revenue from these violations?

Reminds me of the speed cameras they have in Knox County, TN. @AJT123 knows about them. I remember reading a story that Knox County gets zero revenue from those cameras. They go to some shady privately owned corp in Arizona.
Old 07-31-24 | 10:55 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LH1
Same here. I don't want to hear straight piped WRX's and 350Z's at 2am. If those guys are the ones catching the violations I'm fine with that.

Will Montgomery County actually get any revenue from these violations?

Reminds me of the speed cameras they have in Knox County, TN. @AJT123 knows about them. I remember reading a story that Knox County gets zero revenue from those cameras. They go to some shady privately owned corp in Arizona.
LOLLL, agree first of all...

If you get one of those in the mail here burn it. It says clear as day you don't get any license penalties and it won't affect your credit.

I don't condone reckless driving but of course I've turned right on a red and not stopped fully. But I haven't gotten any camera tickets, at all, since college. I must cut it pretty close now. Sometimes you have to boot it through a yellow light that turns red when your'e over the line, just part of driving.

And yep, Knox County gets a very very small cut, very. The rest goes to the camera crap. It's total BS.

Last edited by AJT123; 07-31-24 at 10:59 AM.
Old 07-31-24 | 11:04 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

I have a big problem with automated enforcement of anything. We're giving up a lot of civil liberties to allow unilateral and uncontestable control over our day to day actions. I know some of the older generation are fine with this having grown up in the cold war era where you never questioned the government, but it doesn't sit right with me.

Also I am NOT reverting my truck's exhaust to stock.

Old 07-31-24 | 11:07 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
I have a big problem with automated enforcement of anything. We're giving up a lot of civil liberties to allow unilateral and uncontestable control over our day to day actions. I know some of the older generation are fine with this having grown up in the cold war era where you never questioned the government, but it doesn't sit right with me.

Also I am NOT reverting my truck's exhaust to stock.
Yep. Half the time the cameras don't even get the face so there's not proof the owner was even driving the car.

I don't like ANY of those things either. In Europe they have these automated things in things like toll booths you drive through like EZ pass that zap speeders, I saw it on Top Gear. You can't speed, 100% guaranteed ticket or infraction or whatever they call it there.

Strongly against that stuff too, and I want the least amount of government in my life as well. We pay our taxes, please stay out of our lives.

Last edited by AJT123; 07-31-24 at 11:10 AM.
Old 07-31-24 | 11:25 AM
Carfan94
Advanced

Originally Posted by SW17LS

If you lived somewhere that this noise pollution was an issue I think you would feel differently. For whatever reason right where my house is sound from a couple of roadways carries, on Friday or Saturday nights the sound of modified exhausts racing can be very loud. If you drive an ordinary car and you aren't racing or flooring it you're not going to get cited.
Yep my house is the same way. I live right in the middle of the city. And it’s quiet most of the time. But on weekend nights I can hear straight piped V8s and tires squealing. It absolutely infuriates me. I do plan on moving to the suburbs next year where this kind of riff raff is not tolerated. But in Memphis proper you can get away with pretty much anything these days.

I highly doubt this automated noise detection camera program thing would work here in Memphis. It would be an absolute joke and would do practically nothing to stop the craziness. Heck a lot of these loud cars don’t even have valid license plates…. Many of them have nothing! Or those worthless paper “drive out tags”!

Originally Posted by swajames
Well of course they can, but police can't be everywhere at once and the obnoxious exhaust owners have figured out that they are less likely to get pulled over in the quieter suburbs. So that's where they are driving until they eventually end up getting caught and moving over to a different quiet suburb.
Really? usually it’s just the opposite. The posh suburbs usually have stricter police force, and generally the trouble makers know to stay away from those areas and stick to terrorizing the downtown streets and other areas of the city.
Old 07-31-24 | 12:34 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Carfan94
Really? usually it’s just the opposite. The posh suburbs usually have stricter police force, and generally the trouble makers know to stay away from those areas and stick to terrorizing the downtown streets and other areas of the city.
So that's the other thing, much of the time the cars we hear aren't even in our immediate area. They are loud enough and it's quiet enough that we hear them loud and clear anyway, even if they're not actually in our neighborhood. Some of these exhausts are insanely loud.
Old 07-31-24 | 12:51 PM
SC300Es
Pole Position

I also can hear cars racing up the Verrazano Bridge late at night when everything else quiets down.

I believe NYC is trying to implement noise cameras as well.

My observation with speed cameras here is that people who speed around with their gunshot exhaust don't really care about a $110 fine. They pay it and move on.

There is a website where you can put a license plate and it pulls up all the traffic tickets. Whenever I see an idiot messing around I usually check their plate. Some people have tons of camera tickets. They just don't care.
Old 07-31-24 | 01:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA

With older people, it may not be so much of an example of re-living the 1950s (and Civil Defense/Air-Raid sirens) as with hearing loss which comes with age. Noise may simply not bother them as much, period, because they don't notice it.
Old 07-31-24 | 01:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

There is also sometimes a fair amount of hypocrisy and selectivity in enforcement of these laws. An example is the Harley-Davidson dealership a couple of miles from my house. That place regularly violates noise decibel-standards, but the nearby County Courthouse regularly ignores it and looks the other way, because that shop services most of the Police motorcycles and keeps them running. The Police and the County are not about to bite the hand that helps feeds them.
Old 07-31-24 | 02:05 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by tex2670
Yes ... BUT, the complaints about leaf blowers ratcheted up once people started working from home more. There's inconsiderate people on both sides -- leaf blower users operating them too early; and also neighbors who believe that they are entitled to library levels of quiet at any time they desire to suit their needs.
I’m trying to get as many of my neighbors using the same landscapers as possible. That way it’ll be obnoxious on thursdays for 2 hrs instead of 20 minutes 4 times a day every day of the week.
Old 07-31-24 | 02:26 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
With older people, it may not be so much of an example of re-living the 1950s (and Civil Defense/Air-Raid sirens) as with hearing loss which comes with age. Noise may simply not bother them as much, period, because they don't notice it.
You misunderstood my remark. I didn't say older generations are okay with the noise, I said they're okay with big brother spying on everything they do and issuing automatic tickets. They come from a mindset where the government always knows best and we're just children to be managed by the wise parent that is the government. I've rarely heard anybody want to abolish the 4th or 5th amendment protections except for baby boomers.
Old 07-31-24 | 02:28 PM
Carfan94
Advanced

What I dont understand is why the apartment complexes and businesses near the university of Memphis have to unload their garbage dumpsters at 2 AM several times a week. I never adjusted to that… I’ll take lawnmowers and leaf blowers at 5 AM over that! LOL
Old 07-31-24 | 03:28 PM
link13
Lead Lap

This is a little too Demolition Man (which is a Brave New World ripoff, but they did acknowledge it with the character name Lenina Huxley). What happens if I drive by one of these cameras next to some hooptie with a fart can exhaust? Do I get the ticket because my car is modified (cosmetically only) and they assume it was me even though my exhaust is stock and I have to then waste my time to contest it?

It is a slippery slope.

Until then, enhance your calm John Spartan and let me know when you figure out the three seashells.

Quick Reply: Vehicular noise ordinance cameras