Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Vehicular noise ordinance cameras

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-24, 03:38 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by link13
This is a little too Demolition Man (which is a Brave New World ripoff, but they did acknowledge it with the character name Lenina Huxley). What happens if I drive by one of these cameras next to some hooptie with a fart can exhaust? Do I get the ticket because my car is modified (cosmetically only) and they assume it was me even though my exhaust is stock and I have to then waste my time to contest it?

It is a slippery slope.

Until then, enhance your calm John Spartan and let me know when you figure out the three seashells.
LOL, the password to let Snipes out of the jail part is "Teddy Bear"---remember how the mayor or whatever programmed him with info.. Talk about a movie that got a lot of stuff right lol, it was all just making fun of us.
Old 07-31-24, 03:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,749 Likes on 1,966 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Yes ... BUT, the complaints about leaf blowers ratcheted up once people started working from home more. There's inconsiderate people on both sides -- leaf blower users operating them too early; and also neighbors who believe that they are entitled to library levels of quiet at any time they desire to suit their needs.
I doubt any ordinance bans leaf blowers during business hours.

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I just don't like the methodology of it. I get what you are saying, but for me I would be hoping for some type of resolution without it being this. I have little faith that these things end up working as intended. And the folks that implement them have no repercussions to them not working out as they hoped. All of the inconveniences of the system not being accurate fall on citizens and ends up becoming a hassle for them to sort out when they didn't do anything wrong to begin with.
I'll take whatever resolution there may be.

Originally Posted by LH1
Same here. I don't want to hear straight piped WRX's and 350Z's at 2am. If those guys are the ones catching the violations I'm fine with that.

Will Montgomery County actually get any revenue from these violations?

Reminds me of the speed cameras they have in Knox County, TN. @AJT123 knows about them. I remember reading a story that Knox County gets zero revenue from those cameras. They go to some shady privately owned corp in Arizona.
They will get some, not much.

Originally Posted by AJT123
LOLLL, agree first of all...

If you get one of those in the mail here burn it. It says clear as day you don't get any license penalties and it won't affect your credit.

I don't condone reckless driving but of course I've turned right on a red and not stopped fully. But I haven't gotten any camera tickets, at all, since college. I must cut it pretty close now. Sometimes you have to boot it through a yellow light that turns red when your'e over the line, just part of driving.

And yep, Knox County gets a very very small cut, very. The rest goes to the camera crap. It's total BS.
Here you have to pay the tickets, they will freeze your registration if you don't and the fines get very large over time.

Originally Posted by Carfan94
Yep my house is the same way. I live right in the middle of the city. And it’s quiet most of the time. But on weekend nights I can hear straight piped V8s and tires squealing. It absolutely infuriates me. I do plan on moving to the suburbs next year where this kind of riff raff is not tolerated. But in Memphis proper you can get away with pretty much anything these days.

I highly doubt this automated noise detection camera program thing would work here in Memphis. It would be an absolute joke and would do practically nothing to stop the craziness. Heck a lot of these loud cars don’t even have valid license plates…. Many of them have nothing! Or those worthless paper “drive out tags”!

Really? usually it’s just the opposite. The posh suburbs usually have stricter police force, and generally the trouble makers know to stay away from those areas and stick to terrorizing the downtown streets and other areas of the city.
I'm in the suburbs. Issue is the sound travels a LONG way, the road where this happens is 2-3 miles away.

Originally Posted by swajames
So that's the other thing, much of the time the cars we hear aren't even in our immediate area. They are loud enough and it's quiet enough that we hear them loud and clear anyway, even if they're not actually in our neighborhood. Some of these exhausts are insanely loud.
Exactly...
Old 07-31-24, 04:36 PM
Orkboyz
Driver

Received 70 Likes on 27 Posts

Cue the conspiracy theory that noise cameras are a plot funded by EV manufacturers to further restrict ICE owners and force them to go electric.
Old 07-31-24, 04:44 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

I’m completely against this and any other government taxation for the sake of revenue.

NYC installed speeding cameras on every corner and implemented 25mph speed limit. Guess what they lost $$$$ on the deal and owe MILLIONS to the company that runs the cameras. So guess what they did now - they Lowered speed limit to 20mph on most streets and 10mph on some streets! Complete insanity and they will still be bleeding $$$. BTW pedestrian deaths have not changed since the speed limits went in effect bec there is no enforcement for pedestrians jaywalking.
Old 07-31-24, 04:49 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW17LS

I'm in the suburbs. Issue is the sound travels a LONG way, the road where this happens is 2-3 miles away.
If a loud motor cycle or car bothers you passing by for 5seconds, well I can’t imagine all the other things that may annoy you lol

The landscapers in my neighborhood cause a MILLION times more noise pollution than any car/bike has ever done especially at 9am on Saturday morning.
Old 07-31-24, 05:05 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 701 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
If a loud motor cycle or car bothers you passing by for 5seconds, well I can’t imagine all the other things that may annoy you lol

The landscapers in my neighborhood cause a MILLION times more noise pollution than any car/bike has ever done especially at 9am on Saturday morning.
But that's the thing, it's not just a quick 5 second disturbance. In the dead of night, these cars can create noise pollution that you can hear clearly for an astonishingly long time.
Old 07-31-24, 05:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Exactly what swajames said, its not just one car. Its like a damn racetrack for hours. One vehicle here or there or a neighbor with a harley is different. The landscapers in your neighborhood don't work at midnight on Friday night. A lot of times its not an issue, but you go through phases were its a big problem.
Old 07-31-24, 05:35 PM
Carfan94
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I really don’t understand all the whining and complaining about landscapers during daylight hours. It’s quite amazing. I’ll take that any day over the loud cars and motorcycles during the night, or garbage dumpsters being unloaded banging and clanging loudly at 2 AM……
Old 07-31-24, 06:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Totally, no issue with landscapers during the day
Old 07-31-24, 07:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Good point. A loud vehicle or motorcycle lasts a few seconds at most. Gas-powered mowers, edging-machines, and leaf-blowers go on sometimes for a couple of hours.
Old 07-31-24, 07:46 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Carfan94
I really don’t understand all the whining and complaining about landscapers during daylight hours. It’s quite amazing. I’ll take that any day over the loud cars and motorcycles during the night, or garbage dumpsters being unloaded banging and clanging loudly at 2 AM……
Its really bad for me as I can’t enjoy peacefully sitting in my backyard on a Friday or Saturday morning. The leaf blowers are the absolute worse and its one house after the other non-stop.
Old 08-01-24, 08:45 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Its really bad for me as I can’t enjoy peacefully sitting in my backyard on a Friday or Saturday morning. The leaf blowers are the absolute worse and one house after the other non-stop.
Unfortunately the morning after a certain time is not considered to be a quiet time, and peoples lawns need to be mowed and their walks need to be cleared. People don’t have to drag race cars with modified exhausts on public roads. It’s illegal.
Old 08-01-24, 09:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Unfortunately the morning after a certain time is not considered to be a quiet time, and peoples lawns need to be mowed and their walks need to be cleared. People don’t have to drag race cars with modified exhausts on public roads. It’s illegal.
Driving 85-90 is also illegal in most places (West Texas and Montana may be a couple of exceptions) ....but many drivers do it anyway, even on roads with 55-60 posted limits.
Old 08-01-24, 09:51 AM
Carfan94
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Its really bad for me as I can’t enjoy peacefully sitting in my backyard on a Friday or Saturday morning. The leaf blowers are the absolute worse and its one house after the other non-stop.
I guess it just depends on what level of noise we can all tolerate and at what times. Lawnmowers, Dogs barking, and leaf blowers during the day are part of suburban living for me.

Drag racing, tires squealing, straight piped V8s and loud music are a bit more bothersome and should not be tolerated. Particularly at night.

Old 08-01-24, 09:56 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Driving 85-90 is also illegal in most places (West Texas and Montana may be a couple of exceptions) ....but many drivers do it anyway, even on roads with 55-60 posted limits.
And I have zero issue with police enforcing the law in those instances.

Quick Reply: Vehicular noise ordinance cameras