Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Vehicular noise ordinance cameras

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-24, 03:59 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I drove my friend’s sons Mustang Tuesday night. Manual and it’s pretty cool. It’s not my car and I haven’t driven manually consistently for a long time so it was just a short easy drive. But, when he took over he let it rip. In track mode we did a police test run in a neighborhood and turned around and went nuts then did it again.. Noise noise noise. It was fun. Definitely was not appropriate to that at 11PM but we did.

I am against the idea of noise cameras.
Old 08-01-24, 05:06 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
And I have zero issue with police enforcing the law in those instances.
Even as a driver who routinely goes 80+, I still have no problem with them enforcing the law. I don’t drive like a tool and do my best to not draw attention, but I’m aware of and accept the risks. Haven’t had a ticket in 27 years, but if I get one I’ll pay it and move on with my life.

But I’m still opposed to the noise cameras, even though I am pretty certain they’d never impact me directly.
Old 08-01-24, 05:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,749 Likes on 1,966 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
Even as a driver who routinely goes 80+, I still have no problem with them enforcing the law. I don’t drive like a tool and do my best to not draw attention, but I’m aware of and accept the risks. Haven’t had a ticket in 27 years, but if I get one I’ll pay it and move on with my life.
Same here.

But I’m still opposed to the noise cameras, even though I am pretty certain they’d never impact me directly.
If you lived where you had to it at 2AM I bet you would feel otherwise.
Old 08-01-24, 05:26 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,469 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I’m completely against this and any other government taxation for the sake of revenue.
and yet you live in one of the most heavily taxed cities on earth.

and you guys have given me a good reminder why i don't live in a city, so thanks for that.
Old 08-01-24, 06:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

In my case I don’t live in a city either! It can happen in suburban areas too.
Old 08-01-24, 06:31 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
and yet you live in one of the most heavily taxed cities on earth.

and you guys have given me a good reminder why i don't live in a city, so thanks for that.
That’s why I’m an expert in government overreach lol

My dream is to have a property with a few chickens and horses. Far away from traffic and landscapers.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 08-01-24 at 06:34 PM.
Old 08-01-24, 08:07 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,232 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Same here.

If you lived where you had to it at 2AM I bet you would feel otherwise.
I lived in an apartment for a year near 23 north next to an onramp, I don't care at all and sometimes you get to hear a nice engine. If you can hear it in a suburb it's likely far less annoying than neighbors yelling on game day till freaking midnight.....that is far more grating than an engine in the distance IMO.
Old 08-01-24, 10:46 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

I didn’t particularly care for the sentiment that these cameras are being possibly implemented because cops are lazy. LEO to citizen ratio is extremely low and they cannot dedicate officers to just deal with noise issues.

You can legislate, enforce laws, and install noise video cameras all you want, but none of it will stop people bring jackasses. So, I don’t like the cameras idea.
Old 08-01-24, 11:17 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

The cameras wouldn't do crap here in Vegas. If you drew a venn diagram of people who have annoyingly loud exhausts and no discipline and people who don't run license plates, it would be a perfect circle. If you want to solve this issue, go fine 350z/370z/g35/g37 owners for simply existing.

I don't get much noise, but I have had some lovely VQ idiots do a street takeover nearby a couple times(and called the police to break it up). I live in a cul-de-sac but there's only one house separating mine from a 4 lane arterial road.

The bigger problem I have with noise is that there's a fire station nearby so I get to hear the sirens.
Old 08-01-24, 11:26 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,232 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
The cameras wouldn't do crap here in Vegas. If you drew a venn diagram of people who have annoyingly loud exhausts and no discipline and people who don't run license plates, it would be a perfect circle. If you want to solve this issue, go fine 350z/370z/g35/g37 owners for simply existing.

I don't get much noise, but I have had some lovely VQ idiots do a street takeover nearby a couple times(and called the police to break it up). I live in a cul-de-sac but there's only one house separating mine from a 4 lane arterial road.

The bigger problem I have with noise is that there's a fire station nearby so I get to hear the sirens.
For some reason I found this hilarious, thanks for the irl laugh!
Old 08-02-24, 12:01 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

I live 2 miles from a drag strip that runs until 11pm I believe. I am used to loud exhaust noise but some people that move into the town complain about the drag strip all the time and they should have done their homework or their real estate agent should have before buying. As a result, I don’t mind loud exhausts near my house and quite enjoy it as it represents the beginning is spring when I start to hear it although I barely notice it anymore.

I live somewhat near a highway but with a tree/woods barrier and I do hear some loud exhausts late at night but it’s somewhat rare and that it’s loud enough to bother me inside my house. I’m not sure if I would want one of these installed by my house but it really wouldn’t affect me because my cars aren’t that loud.
Old 08-02-24, 04:38 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,469 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
That’s why I’m an expert in government overreach lol
My dream is to have a property with a few chickens and horses. Far away from traffic and landscapers.
ha... wanna buy my place? 8 acres with a nice house and small barn in a rural horse community. very quiet!

Originally Posted by patgilm
I live 2 miles from a drag strip that runs until 11pm I believe.
omg... cannot imagine.

If you want to solve this issue, go fine 350z/370z/g35/g37 owners for simply existing.
ROFL
Old 08-02-24, 05:32 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
omg... cannot imagine.
LOL yeah most people don’t like it but I’m weird and used to it where I don’t even notice it much. Out of college I lived closer to an airport and I found that noise much worse and annoying to me.
Old 08-02-24, 05:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker223
I lived in an apartment for a year near 23 north next to an onramp, I don't care at all and sometimes you get to hear a nice engine. If you can hear it in a suburb it's likely far less annoying than neighbors yelling on game day till freaking midnight.....that is far more grating than an engine in the distance IMO.
Youre in a different phase of your life than I am lol. When I was 20 years old I didn’t care either. I’m 43 now, and I care. So bring this on, I actually emailed the county department in charge of this and suggested locations.

It’s not bad here, it’s only sometimes but I’d rather not hear it at all. It’s interesting how differently sound carries depending on weather etc. We have a train about 2-3 miles away and some nights you hear it really really clearly (it’s a pleasant train horn kind of sound) and other nights you can’t hear it.
Old 08-02-24, 06:55 AM
Carfan94
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Exactly! In Memphis it’s the exact same as you describe. We also have a problem with Infiniti’s as well. Drag racing, street takeovers, thefts….

Quick Reply: Vehicular noise ordinance cameras