Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Vehicular noise ordinance cameras

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-24 | 10:15 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Youre in a different phase of your life than I am lol. When I was 20 years old I didn’t care either. I’m 43 now, and I care. So bring this on, I actually emailed the county department in charge of this and suggested locations.
Even when they hold public-hearings, those bureaucracies don't often listen to the public.....they usually leave questions like that to either bureaucrats or engineers.

Having said that, however, sometimes, on very uncommon occasions, you DO get an answer from them that takes you seriously. I got a couple of roads in my area repaved from that.

It’s not bad here, it’s only sometimes but I’d rather not hear it at all. It’s interesting how differently sound carries depending on weather etc. We have a train about 2-3 miles away and some nights you hear it really really clearly (it’s a pleasant train horn kind of sound) and other nights you can’t hear it.

This may go without saying, but I'll assume that you're not comparing nights with open windows vs. them closed.
Old 08-02-24 | 11:29 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Youre in a different phase of your life than I am lol. When I was 20 years old I didn’t care either. I’m 43 now, and I care. So bring this on, I actually emailed the county department in charge of this and suggested locations.

It’s not bad here, it’s only sometimes but I’d rather not hear it at all. It’s interesting how differently sound carries depending on weather etc. We have a train about 2-3 miles away and some nights you hear it really really clearly (it’s a pleasant train horn kind of sound) and other nights you can’t hear it.
Can you hear it from inside? I can't even hear garbage trucks or lawnmowers from inside my house so I just never really found it annoying, the apartment was different but still not nearly enough for me to care.
Old 08-02-24 | 11:47 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

I live in a retirement HOA and the old timers expect to sleep with their windows open and everyone to be quiet.

We've actually had a neighbor complain because another neighbor comes home late on the weekend from the bars and wakes them up. Lol
Old 08-02-24 | 01:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
This may go without saying, but I'll assume that you're not comparing nights with open windows vs. them closed.
I don't open windows lol. I'm an AC guy.

Originally Posted by Striker223
Can you hear it from inside? I can't even hear garbage trucks or lawnmowers from inside my house so I just never really found it annoying, the apartment was different but still not nearly enough for me to care.
If you're laying in bed and everything is quiet, then sometimes. Its really a bigger issue out on the deck. In the places they are talking about in that article though its a much, much bigger issue than where I am.

When you're my age we'll see if you care. Stuff like that bugs me that didn't used to bug me.
Old 08-02-24 | 02:14 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

I don't open windows lol. I'm an AC guy.

If you're laying in bed and everything is quiet, then sometimes. Its really a bigger issue out on the deck. In the places they are talking about in that article though its a much, much bigger issue than where I am.

When you're my age we'll see if you care. Stuff like that bugs me that didn't used to bug me.
Ah okay so about the same situation then, I also run AC and air scrubbers so the air stays clean and low PM02 count etc etc....

I sleep with a fan on so that probably buffers a lot of noise out for me
Old 08-02-24 | 02:37 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

It's funny, when my sister lived in NYC and I visited her I actually liked all of the street noise at night for some reason and I actually slept really well. I did get woken up by the ocassional loud exhaust from motorcycles though but not enough to disturb me too much.
Old 08-02-24 | 02:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Street noise in a city like that is different than random drag racing when you live in the 'burbs lol
Old 08-02-24 | 02:43 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Street noise in a city like that is different than random drag racing when you live in the 'burbs lol
LOL no doubt, mainly because all is peaceful in the burbs until some a-hole with a fart can exhaust screams by. If I'm being honest I don't like any loud fart can exhaust when I am walking or driving. Annoys the crap out of me but a V8 exhaust doesn't bother me, it's usually just the 4 cylinders.
Old 08-02-24 | 04:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by patgilm
LOL no doubt, mainly because all is peaceful in the burbs until some a-hole with a fart can exhaust screams by. If I'm being honest I don't like any loud fart can exhaust when I am walking or driving. Annoys the crap out of me but a V8 exhaust doesn't bother me, it's usually just the 4 cylinders.
These are nasty 4 cyl noises!
Old 08-02-24 | 04:18 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by patgilm
Don't forget the damn Nissan V6s too!
Old 08-02-24 | 05:39 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

For me it's mostly the riced out hondas and the Nissan VQ's, along with sport bikes.

Occasionally some idiot in a Challenger or Charger.
Old 08-02-24 | 05:58 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
For me it's mostly the riced out hondas and the Nissan VQ's, along with sport bikes.

Occasionally some idiot in a Challenger or Charger.
Always a V6 or old V8 with the 5 speed
Old 08-02-24 | 07:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Margate330
This is a slippery slope in my opinion.
More watching and listening, y'all don't realize what's coming. Lol

I say let the cops get out there and earn their revenue.
I don’t see the difference honestly.
Old 08-02-24 | 09:01 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

I don’t see the difference honestly.
Just for that I'm driving by your house after midnight with my new back fire pipes exhaust.

vroooom... Blat...blat...POP!
Spoiler

Old 08-02-24 | 09:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You’re gonna get a ticket then lol

Quick Reply: Vehicular noise ordinance cameras