Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Vehicular noise ordinance cameras

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-24 | 08:58 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

A really loud car just sped by

Spoiler

Old 08-12-24 | 09:45 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

There was a time when a man would hang his head in shame if his car backfired due to lack of maintenance and needing a tune up. Lol

Now, I swear they do it on purpose.
Old 08-13-24 | 09:02 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah I'm seeing this in the BMW community where they want their tunes to make the cars burble and pop more.

I would like to hear more of my turbo whistle but i don't want any popping.

The truck has tasteful exhaust modifications done that make it a bit deeper, and it's louder than stock, particularly when you're over 4k RPM. But I drive it conservatively in residential areas and nobody knows anything is going on.
Old 08-13-24 | 09:50 AM
link13
Lead Lap

One thing that’s weird on the 4 bangers is the fart can muffler is frequently the only mod on their raggedy *** hooptie car. The WQ cars usually are lowered with one mismatched wheel and at least one primered or otherwise non matching body panel. They occasionally try to haul *** on Flower which is 2 blocks away. Perhaps they think it sounds like they’re going 100+ when they are actually going 48. It is annoying at 3 am is all.
Old 08-13-24 | 11:04 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
Yeah I'm seeing this in the BMW community where they want their tunes to make the cars burble and pop more.
This sounds so terrible, I agree
Old 08-13-24 | 11:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
If their vehicles are popping and backfiring without blowing the catalytic-converter clean off the pipe, that means that they must be simply cutting of the converter, resonator, and just running straight pipes...which is not only illegal in most places, but also makes the vehicle a polluter.
Old 08-13-24 | 11:08 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If their vehicles are popping and backfiring without blowing the catalyst clean off the pipe, that means that they must be simply cutting of the catalyst, resonator, and running straight pipes...which is not only illegal in many places but also makes the vehicle a polluter.
This isn't true. These vehicles are tuned and designed to make these sounds, no modification of the physical exhaust is required.
Old 08-13-24 | 11:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
This isn't true. These vehicles are tuned and designed to make these sounds, no modification of the physical exhaust is required.

OK...I was talking about true backfiring, not imitation-noises. I know that at least some exhaust-tones can can be altered electronically...that goes back to the stock equipment on the Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 of the early 1990s. But until now, I hadn't heard of imitation-backfires done that way.
Old 08-13-24 | 11:25 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

It's not a backfire, it's overrun with a little extra fuel being sent when normally the injectors are full off on coasting. Ends up partially combusting in the pipes and making the pops/bangs that seem to be so popular these days
Old 08-13-24 | 04:34 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

It’s not only BMW - my 911 also had the burbles in Sport mode and it made some cool pops/crackles on downshifts.
The new ones are a bit quieter.

The BMW ones that I don’t like are the gunshot backfires that are done with a tune.
Old 08-13-24 | 06:18 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

OK...I was talking about true backfiring, not imitation-noises. I know that at least some exhaust-tones can can be altered electronically...that goes back to the stock equipment on the Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 of the early 1990s. But until now, I hadn't heard of imitation-backfires done that way.
Exactly what Striker said and even on my BMW M340 with the factory exhaust and tune you would get a small amount of pops and bangs on deceleration bone stock from the factory. My car was a 2020 and BMW made it milder in the subsequent years.

When I got my car tuned one of the options was to have louder pops and bangs and that was a free option I did not add/want although I did like the small amount of pops that the factory had tuned in.

In the GTR community some will tune these pops and bangs where they would have a small amount of flame shoot out the exhaust on purpose because some dumb asses think it looks cool but some cars have caught on fire because of it. Just so dumb.
Old 08-14-24 | 06:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

So I took a video of this. I have been sitting in my office for the last 20 minutes and it sounds like I am right next to a racetrack. I have no idea what they are doing, if they are doing donuts in the parking lot of a school or something...but this is a great example of the noise. Turn your sound up...

This doesn't happen often, but in the summer a lot of friday and saturday evenings are like this. Tell me you wouldn't be annoyed by this.

Old 08-14-24 | 07:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
So I took a video of this. I have been sitting in my office for the last 20 minutes and it sounds like I am right next to a racetrack. I have no idea what they are doing, if they are doing donuts in the parking lot of a school or something...but this is a great example of the noise. Turn your sound up...

This doesn't happen often, but in the summer a lot of friday and saturday evenings are like this. Tell me you wouldn't be annoyed by this.

Just out of curiosity, was the window open or closed when you did that video?

We hear some of that same engine-roar where I live, but it is not necessarily confined to Friday and Saturday nights, since school is out for the summer, and the high-school kids who do this kind of stuff generally don't have to go to bed early at night during the week. My house, though, has thick vinyl energy-saving windows, and it makes a difference with sound-transmission, even muting the thunder somewhat during storms.
Old 08-14-24 | 07:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Just out of curiosity, was the window open or closed when you did that video?

We hear some of that same engine-roar where I live, but it is not necessarily confined to Friday and Saturday nights, since school is out for the summer and high-school kids don't; have to go to bed early at night during the week. My house, though, has thick vinyl energy-saving windows, and it makes a difference with sound-transmission, even muting the thunder somewhat during storms.
I was standing in my entry foyer, but absolutely you can hear it with the windows closed from any of the front rooms in the house which include my office and our master bedroom.
Old 08-15-24 | 04:46 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

the crickets were almost as loud as the cars, lol.

Quick Reply: Vehicular noise ordinance cameras