Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Vehicular noise ordinance cameras

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-24, 05:49 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,749 Likes on 1,966 Posts
Default Vehicular noise ordinance cameras

My county is rolling out vehicular noise ordinance cameras that can measure sound outpout from a vehicle and issue a mail citation:

https://www.fox5dc.com/news/noise-ca...tHRovJzBhxVGsQ

I say bring it on.
Old 07-31-24, 06:08 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 236 Posts

Given that folks in California are regularly getting ticketed and/or their registration revoked for 100% stock vehicles—read another story just this morning about a brand-new Camaro SS cited and fined $100 for “driving in sport mode”—I am completely opposed.
Old 07-31-24, 06:47 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 701 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
Given that folks in California are regularly getting ticketed and/or their registration revoked for 100% stock vehicles—read another story just this morning about a brand-new Camaro SS cited and fined $100 for “driving in sport mode”—I am completely opposed.
I read about that too. I’m suspicious that the exhaust was, in fact, stock, but assuming it was the ticket should be reasonably easy to contest. I’m generally opposed to automated monitoring like this too, but there’s no question that the case for them is getting stronger. We don’t live anywhere near any busy roads, but the number of times we hear obnoxiously loud exhausts at night is on the increase.
Old 07-31-24, 06:56 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,015 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
My county is rolling out vehicular noise ordinance cameras that can measure sound outpout from a vehicle and issue a mail citation:

I say bring it on.
This is a slippery slope in my opinion.
More watching and listening, y'all don't realize what's coming. Lol

I say let the cops get out there and earn their revenue.

Old 07-31-24, 07:04 AM
Lwerewolf
Racer

Received 257 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
I read about that too. I’m suspicious that the exhaust was, in fact, stock, but assuming it was the ticket should be reasonably easy to contest. I’m generally opposed to automated monitoring like this too, but there’s no question that the case for them is getting stronger. We don’t live anywhere near any busy roads, but the number of times we hear obnoxiously loud exhausts at night is on the increase.
Can't an unmarked police vehicle just pull you over for that? Sounds like lazy law enforcement officers.
Old 07-31-24, 07:09 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 392 Likes on 265 Posts

Wow, never heard of this being a "thing." I'm sure there are issues with it; and the problem is those issues cause an inconvenience for the driver to prove their innocence to avoid paying a fine. I don't like things like that. Local governments don't care; it's no skin off their back to have people have to spend time, money, take off work to show up unnecessarily in-person to prove their car/truck is "stock". This stuff annoys me.
Old 07-31-24, 07:41 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I say bring it on.
Makes me think of the Hellcat of Belltown.
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...ing-instagram/

I think that the issue with just setting up stationary cameras or noise sensors is that there's too much ability to challenge inaccurate readings after the fact. Noise measurements can vary based on a variety of factors.
Old 07-31-24, 07:58 AM
nitroracer
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

I say bring it on.
Lol oh ya? My city banned leaf blowers because of the noise!
Old 07-31-24, 08:02 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
If it truly is stock it should be easy to contest.

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Wow, never heard of this being a "thing." I'm sure there are issues with it; and the problem is those issues cause an inconvenience for the driver to prove their innocence to avoid paying a fine. I don't like things like that. Local governments don't care; it's no skin off their back to have people have to spend time, money, take off work to show up unnecessarily in-person to prove their car/truck is "stock". This stuff annoys me.
If you lived somewhere that this noise pollution was an issue I think you would feel differently. For whatever reason right where my house is sound from a couple of roadways carries, on Friday or Saturday nights the sound of modified exhausts racing can be very loud. If you drive an ordinary car and you aren't racing or flooring it you're not going to get cited.

So if I am weighing the peaceful enjoyment of property by homeowners or potentially inconveniencing people who want to rev their engines in residential areas at 11:30 at night or 2 in the morning, I don't have a lot of concern for the latter lol

Originally Posted by tex2670
Makes me think of the Hellcat of Belltown.
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...ing-instagram/

I think that the issue with just setting up stationary cameras or noise sensors is that there's too much ability to challenge inaccurate readings after the fact. Noise measurements can vary based on a variety of factors.
I would imagine they have ways of being pretty sure that readings are accurate. In any event if they place one and it just stops people from racing or revving their engines in that particular spot thats a win.
Old 07-31-24, 08:05 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by nitroracer
Lol oh ya? My city banned leaf blowers because of the noise!
I'm sure its use of leaf blowers at certain times or gas powered leaf blowers, not an outright ban on leaf blowers entirely.

The issue is people don't have any respect for others anymore, thats why these kinds of ordinances have to be enacted. If people wouldn't modify their cars and race through residential areas it wouldn't be an issue. If people didn't use leaf blowers at 5AM on Sunday morning, the same.
Old 07-31-24, 08:25 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,015 Likes on 808 Posts

...The issue is people don't have any respect for others anymore...
Yes sir, you nailed it right there.
Old 07-31-24, 08:29 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm sure its use of leaf blowers at certain times or gas powered leaf blowers, not an outright ban on leaf blowers entirely.

The issue is people don't have any respect for others anymore, thats why these kinds of ordinances have to be enacted. If people wouldn't modify their cars and race through residential areas it wouldn't be an issue. If people didn't use leaf blowers at 5AM on Sunday morning, the same.
Yes ... BUT, the complaints about leaf blowers ratcheted up once people started working from home more. There's inconsiderate people on both sides -- leaf blower users operating them too early; and also neighbors who believe that they are entitled to library levels of quiet at any time they desire to suit their needs.
Old 07-31-24, 09:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The Harley-Hog bikers are probably going to be the ones paying the brunt of the tickets.....assuming that the cameras can identify those small license plates.
Old 07-31-24, 09:50 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,232 Likes on 916 Posts

More overreach and control as is usual for the gov
Old 07-31-24, 09:50 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 392 Likes on 265 Posts

If it truly is stock it should be easy to contest.

If you lived somewhere that this noise pollution was an issue I think you would feel differently. For whatever reason right where my house is sound from a couple of roadways carries, on Friday or Saturday nights the sound of modified exhausts racing can be very loud. If you drive an ordinary car and you aren't racing or flooring it you're not going to get cited.

So if I am weighing the peaceful enjoyment of property by homeowners or potentially inconveniencing people who want to rev their engines in residential areas at 11:30 at night or 2 in the morning, I don't have a lot of concern for the latter lol

I would imagine they have ways of being pretty sure that readings are accurate. In any event if they place one and it just stops people from racing or revving their engines in that particular spot thats a win.
I just don't like the methodology of it. I get what you are saying, but for me I would be hoping for some type of resolution without it being this. I have little faith that these things end up working as intended. And the folks that implement them have no repercussions to them not working out as they hoped. All of the inconveniences of the system not being accurate fall on citizens and ends up becoming a hassle for them to sort out when they didn't do anything wrong to begin with.

Quick Reply: Vehicular noise ordinance cameras