Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Japan's top automaker Toyota acknowledges more certification cheating and apologizes

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-24 | 06:35 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Default Big

Originally Posted by Margate330
I could also say eating junk food costs more. Lol
Junk food is probably far worse

The cost of driving newer cars that pass emissions is passed to the consumer.
My gov in my province rolled back emissions testing for older cars. Diesel owners are lucky as the emissions on those cars is very expensive to fix.

p.s.
Spoiler

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-05-24 at 06:53 PM.
Old 08-05-24 | 10:34 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeX2K
In the United States estimated health cost from breathing polluted air per person is $2,500/year.
Now ask the average person if they would rather have $5000 or a cleaner car and see what they pick.....
Old 08-05-24 | 11:01 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker223
Now ask the average person if they would rather have $5000 or a cleaner car and see what they pick.....
Ask the person with lung cancer.
Old 08-05-24 | 11:19 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Why are we talking about emissions when this is about crash safety?
Old 08-05-24 | 11:43 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Because us evil ICE owners need to be reminded how we're holding back society, of course.
Old 08-06-24 | 12:11 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Ask the person with lung cancer.
They should probably have not been a smoker then lol!
Old 08-06-24 | 06:20 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Mexico's City's problem is not so much the amount of pollution, but, like the Los Angeles region, it sits under an inversion-bowl in the atmosphere that acts as a trap, does not allow much mixing or vertical currents of air, and prevents dispersion of what low-level pollution you have. No amount of regulation is going to be able to prevent that.
I find it hilarious that you choose LA as the closest comparison, and then try to claim that regulation can have no effect on pollution. In 20th century LA the air was so thick you could grab handfuls of it and collect it in a bag. This picture from 1958 shows several women unable to see due to the pain in their eyes, a gentleman wearing a gas mask to protect himself, and there is so much smog that you literally cannot see buildings a half-block away:

Not at all the case today, and the change isn't the result of magic.
Old 08-06-24 | 06:34 AM
Allen K
-0----0-
CL Folding 25,000

Originally Posted by geko29
I find it hilarious that you choose LA as the closest comparison, and then try to claim that regulation can have no effect on pollution. In 20th century LA the air was so thick you could grab handfuls of it and collect it in a bag. This picture from 1958 shows several women unable to see due to the pain in their eyes, a gentleman wearing a gas mask to protect himself, and there is so much smog that you literally cannot see buildings a half-block away:

<pic snip>

There's also those images from the pandemic where the LA skyline was super clear because vehicle traffic was so low

Old 08-06-24 | 06:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Hilarious?

And I find it even more hilarious that you seem to ignore the fact that, even with regulation, although not as bad as decades ago, LA still has arguably the worst air quality in the country.

Have a nice day.
Old 08-06-24 | 06:48 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Hilarious?

And I find it even more hilarious that you seem to ignore the fact that, even with regulation, although not as bad as decades ago, LA still has arguably the worst air quality in the country.

Have a nice day.
Smog would definitely ruin a nice day There is nothing hilarious about that

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-06-24 at 07:52 AM.
Old 08-06-24 | 07:12 AM
Allen K
-0----0-
CL Folding 25,000

Hilarious?

Have a nice day.

Air Quality Index only goes back so far, but 8-hour carbon monoxide has been used by regulating bodies for roughly the same reason. Saying LA has some of the worst air in the country is true, but ignores all of the work that has been done to improve it over the years.
Old 08-06-24 | 07:56 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Hilarious?

Have a nice day.
Not so much. Here is LA, today:

This is actually up from last week's value of 38 due to smoke from the wildfires.

The most polluted city in the country today is Winthrop, Washington at 165. Even my own distant suburb of Chicago is higher than LA, at 53. Out your way, Fairfax is at 57, and Reston at 61.

The picture I posted was probably 400+. What is your alternative explanation for how a city with this atmospheric inversion got from 400+ to 38 or 46?
Old 08-06-24 | 07:59 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

This is actually up from last week's value of 38 due to smoke from the wildfires.

The most polluted city in the country today is Winthrop, Washington at 165. Even my own distant suburb of Chicago is higher than LA, at 53. Out your way, Fairfax is at 57, and Reston at 61.

The picture I posted was probably 400+. What is your alternative explanation for how a city with this atmospheric inversion got from 400+ to 38 or 46?
Im sure regulations help.
Also, putting in highways to move the traffic thru I think would help a lot too.

City planning is important too and for gosh sakes, plant some trees. 🤓
Old 08-06-24 | 09:00 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Im sure regulations help.
Also, putting in highways to move the traffic thru I think would help a lot too.

City planning is important too and for gosh sakes, plant some trees. 🤓
LA has plenty of trees, I grew up with Palm trees everywhere

For all those that don't care about either safety or emissions standards and don't care about breathing polluted air, good for you. Personally, I'm happy to take my Sienna in for a smog check every two years and do my part to keep our air clean, and I'm also happy every car I own has passed numerous crash and safety tests
Old 08-06-24 | 09:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Here are the Ten most polluted cities, ranked in order. Six of the top seven are in California.....including the L.A. region. This list is effective April of this year.

https://www.usnews.com/news/healthie...ity-in-the-u-s

10 Most Polluted Cities by Annual Particle Matter

RANK METROPOLITAN AREA STATE

1 Bakersfield California
2 Visalia California
3 Fresno-Madera-Hanford California
4 Eugene-Springfield Oregon
5 San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland California
6 Los Angeles-Long Beach California
7 Sacramento-Roseville California 8 Medford-Grants Pass Oregon
9 Phoenix-Mesa Arizona
0 Fairbanks Alaska

Quick Reply: Japan's top automaker Toyota acknowledges more certification cheating and apologizes