Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Japan's top automaker Toyota acknowledges more certification cheating and apologizes

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-24, 09:02 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,714 Posts
Default Japan's top automaker Toyota acknowledges more certification cheating and apologizes

I don't understand why Akio is still chairman

Japan's top automaker Toyota acknowledges more certification cheating and apologizes

TOKYO (AP) — Toyota reported Wednesday more cases of cheating on certification tests for new models required by the Japanese government, on top of those acknowledged earlier.

In the latest report, Toyota Motor Corp. said it failed to carry out proper certification on seven models, including the Camry sedan and RAV 4 sport utility vehicle. The false tests included pedestrian protection, side collisions and steering impact.

No safety problems were associated with the misconduct and people who own Toyota vehicles don’t need to take any action, according to Toyota. Toyota’s overseas production was not affected.

Toyota’s chairman, Akio Toyoda apologized in June while announcing massive testing irregularities involving six models, including the Crown and the Lexus RX luxury models. Production of some models in Japan was halted.

“It is with deep regret that we were not able to properly conduct our certification operations, and we apologize to our stakeholders for any concern or inconvenience this may have caused them,” Toyota said in a statement.

Toyota said workers did not clearly understand the rules for preparing documents required for certification applications or the basic importance of such work. Managers also lacked that understanding and were not adequately involved.

The company was carrying out an internal investigation after the earlier mishap, trying to correct the problem, when the latest oversight surfaced.

The wide-ranging fraudulent testing, which surfaced earlier at Japan’s top automaker, involved the use of inadequate or outdated data in collision tests and incorrect testing of airbag inflation and rear-seat damage in crashes. Engine power tests also were falsified. The deceptive test results were also found on discontinued models.

Similar fraudulent tests were found at Mazda Motor Corp. and Honda Motor Co., and at Toyota group makers Hino Motors and Daihatsu Motor Co.

Toyota reported the latest findings to the government and renewed its promise to correct its corporate culture and its work habits.

Production of the Corolla Fielder, Corolla Axio and Yaris Cross, all small models for the Japanese market, has been suspended since June 3. It is scheduled to resume in September once the transport ministry confirms they comply with standards.

https://financialpost.com/pmn/japans...and-apologizes
Old 07-31-24, 09:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Personally, I couldn't care less about cheating on emissions or power-output, as, IMO, companies already are forced to spend way too much time and effort on emissions anyway as a result of government mandates. But air-bag-testing is much different, and IMO a far more serious issue. The last thing you want while you are trying to drive down the road is a big white balloon full of gas going off in your face for no reason.....or, worse, shrapnel from hardware exploding along with the bags.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-31-24 at 01:07 PM.
Old 07-31-24, 09:51 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Between this and recalls on their newer engines, it's not a great time at Toyota right now. I see that Mazda and Honda also had fraudulent tests as well.
Old 07-31-24, 12:44 PM
Lead Lap

Received 790 Likes on 536 Posts

If you read the details. It’s not that big of a deal:

https://www.kbb.com/car-news/toyota-...what-it-means/

It’s poor corporate culture for sure, but doesn’t mean much for the actual cars sold overseas.
Old 07-31-24, 01:05 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Meh. Mistakes happen. Good that Toyota said sorry, but it’s not much of a headline
Old 07-31-24, 01:19 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Yeah mistakes happen, luckily they didn't hit an artery 🤣🤣
Old 08-01-24, 12:22 AM
Lead Lap

Received 790 Likes on 536 Posts

It’s rooted in Japanese corporate culture. In such environments, there’s a strong emphasis on harmony and hierarchy. Employees often avoid reporting issues or questioning superiors to prevent conflict and maintain group cohesion. This can lead to problems being buried instead of addressed.

and it’s not easy to interpret the regulations.

E.g one would assume if you already rear crash tested the car with a heavier object, you wouldn’t have to test again with a lighter object.
Old 08-01-24, 08:27 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 703
It’s rooted in Japanese corporate culture. In such environments, there’s a strong emphasis on harmony and hierarchy. Employees often avoid reporting issues or questioning superiors to prevent conflict and maintain group cohesion. This can lead to problems being buried instead of addressed.

and it’s not easy to interpret the regulations.

E.g one would assume if you already rear crash tested the car with a heavier object, you wouldn’t have to test again with a lighter object.
I think my friend that is an extremely simplistic view. I've owned multiple Toyota and Lexus vehicles since 1995, and as someone mentioned in another post, Toyota took quality, reliability, and safety as an almost religious obligation. A quality product was a point of honor, which is part of the Japanese tradition. This is cost cutting trying to compete in an ever tougher market, which I guess has to be done. I've seen this cost cutting first hand...I had a 2004 Sienna that was extremely good Lexus quality. I replaced it with a 2013 Sienna after my wife totalled it, and quality is just crap. Cheap plastics, rattles everywhere. I've had to change the struts 3 times, and finally had to go to aftermarket struts and suspension. It eats tires and brakes, and I've had to replace the bottom cover...twice. Only the engine and transmission have been reliable, everything else about it is just cost cutting.

So if anything, they should be totally ashamed, I sat in a newer Camry and the quality compared to my previous 2006 is just laughable

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 08-01-24 at 08:32 AM.
Old 08-01-24, 10:45 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,235 Likes on 919 Posts

Post 2010 Toyota/Lexus fell off badly with cars that were designed past that point, you are better off with German stuff since they fixed their issues by that point.
Old 08-01-24, 11:15 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Striker223
Post 2010 Toyota/Lexus fell off badly with cars that were designed past that point, you are better off with German stuff since they fixed their issues by that point.
I totally agree. Not only that, they have fallen way behind the Germans. I don't even think the Germans compete with them anymore. I admit, I used to be very skeptical about German cars, but no more. After spending some time in a few of my friends cars, I have nothing but respect
Old 08-01-24, 11:40 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

We owned a pair of RX 350's from 2016-2023 and I found them flawless from a quality standpoint. The materials were top notch and build quality was perfect. We had no issues during that ownership experience through two vehicles. While I agree that I see cost cutting in other Toyota vehicles, I can't say the same for the RX, at least not for the ones we owned. I think some of the JD Powers studies support my assertion.
Old 08-01-24, 11:42 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jwong77
We owned a pair of RX 350's from 2016-2023 and I found them flawless from a quality standpoint. The materials were top notch and build quality was perfect. We had no issues during that ownership experience through two vehicles. While I agree that I see cost cutting in other Toyota vehicles, I can't say the same for the RX, at least not for the ones we owned. I think some of the JD Powers studies support my assertion.
This was specific to Toyota and not Lexus
Old 08-01-24, 11:58 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
This was specific to Toyota and not Lexus
I was responding to Striker since he mentioned Toyota/Lexus.
Old 08-01-24, 12:10 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I totally agree. Not only that, they have fallen way behind the Germans. I don't even think the Germans compete with them anymore. I admit, I used to be very skeptical about German cars, but no more. After spending some time in a few of my friends cars, I have nothing but respect
I was in the same boat since during my apprentice period I only saw the older German cars and I firmly formed a bias against them......now that I'm seeing newer stuff from all companies my views on each brand have been adjusted to reflect individual generations instead.
Old 08-01-24, 12:11 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jwong77
That Gen was designed pre-2010 as it's just a refresh of the 3rd Gen with no real changes at all. The new RX is the first one that is actually new and well......

Quick Reply: Japan's top automaker Toyota acknowledges more certification cheating and apologizes