Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

So much for those wheel locks....

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-24 | 08:28 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Default So much for those wheel locks....

"To stave off such thefts, Torres and Haubesnstein recommend that car owners take their wheel lock keys out of their vehicles after driving, calling it the 'best anti-theft measure.'”

Right--I'm going to walk around with wheel locks in my pocket.... C'mon, it'll scratch my phone....

https://www.inquirer.com/news/philad...-20240802.html

Wheel and tire thefts rose more than 50% since 2023 and are highest in four Philly neighborhoods

The thefts follow a pattern: Thieves smash a window, take the wheel lock, then steal the rims and tires before leaving the car balanced on crates.
Izzy Muldowney found her 2020 Toyota Corolla with the window smashed and wheels stolen on the morning of January 3rd

by Nathaniel Rosenberg
Published Aug. 2, 2024, 9:17 a.m. ET

A few days after New Year’s, Izzy Muldowney walked out of her North Philadelphia apartment to a nasty shock. Someone had stolen the wheels off her car.

All four tires and the rims on her 2020 Toyota Corolla were gone, and the car, with its front window smashed, and the glove box hanging open, sat atop a pair of blue and yellow soda crates.

“I just broke down and cried, trying to process everything,” Muldowney said.

The early January theft presaged a busy year for wheel thieves in Philadelphia. It was one of more than 200 such incidents across the city in the first seven months of the year, according to data from the Philadelphia Police Department.
The city has seen a 53% increase in wheel thefts from the same time last year, and more than in all of 2022. Over the last two years, wheel and tire thefts are on pace to more than double.The thefts are concentrated mostly in four neighborhoods, with more than half of the crimes occurring in Fishtown, Fairmount, Passyunk Square, and Mayfair.

People have been swapping stories online about the thefts, which often follow a pattern: thieves smash a window, take the wheel lock, and then steal the rims and tires before leaving the car balanced on crates. Neighbors shared photos of their cars in Facebook groups, advised each other on how to file insurance claims, and complained of slow police response times.

In Muldowney’s case, the theft cost $5,500. It turned out that towing a car without wheels is difficult, she said, and the tow company ended up dragging the car to a repair shop, damaging the undercarriage. She had to wait several weeks for repairs because the wheels were on backorder — the mechanic told her there was high demand for replacement because of frequent theft. Insurance paid for most of the damage, but still, she said, the experience was a costly hassle that has left her nervously checking her car every time she steps outside.
Matthew Haubenstein, an automobile adjuster at 360 Collision Services in Port Richmond, said the shop has handled five to 10 cases of stolen wheels every week for months.Many of the cars had been left on plastic crates, he said, pointing to a stack of more than a dozen soda crates lined up in a shed in the shop.

Thieves almost always target newer Hondas or Toyotas, he said, because of the quality of the rims.

“Anything that looks nice, they will take,” he said.
Tires can be resold for between $1,000 and $1,500, and there is a market for high-quality rims online, said Michael Torres, another auto adjuster at the shop.

Police recommended installing wheel locks, specialized lug nuts that require a key — rather than an ordinary wrench — to remove, saying they may prevent wheel theft.

To stave off such thefts, Torres and Haubesnstein recommend that car owners take their wheel lock keys out of their vehicles after driving, calling it the “best anti-theft measure.” If thieves can’t find a key, they often move on to easier targets, they said.

Cars with stolen wheels almost always end up with damage to the suspension, bumper, and exhaust pipes, Haubenstein said, because tow trucks have to drag the vehicles into a shop for repair. And there are often delays in ordering tires and rims. Insurance will pay for the repairs, but vehicle owners must cover the deductible and spend days or weeks without a car.

“These criminals don’t care about who it is, but these grandmoms who get $600 a month for Social Security, got to pay their $1,000 deductibles, with no car on top of that, because the wheels are on backorder,” Torres said.
Old 08-02-24 | 08:33 AM
KennyFSU
Instructor

I guess the best thing you can do is try to hide the wheel lock as best you can and not just place it in the glove box or trunk.

Thieves in FL just tow the whole damn car away lol.
Old 08-02-24 | 08:38 AM
LH1
Instructor

It's an odd one for sure. I guess just stealing wheels and tires is a slap on the wrist misdemeanor compared to stealing the whole car.

Thieves almost always target newer Hondas or Toyotas, he said, because of the quality of the rims.
Do newer Hondas and Toyotas have high quality wheels? I've never walked by a new Camry or Rav4 and said, "Wow! Those wheels are awesome!"

I was aware of newer Tundras getting their catalytic converters chopped off.

Old 08-02-24 | 10:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Right--I'm going to walk around with wheel locks in my pocket.... C'mon, it'll scratch my phone....
Simple. Put your phone in another pocket.
Old 08-02-24 | 10:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Thieves may have convinced themselves of that, but, for the most part, it's B.S. There's no real difference between the metal-quality of a Toyota or Honda alloy-rim with those of any other vehicles.
Old 08-02-24 | 10:15 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Wheel locks only deter amateur thieves. I stopped using them years ago, since it was always a pain when I needed to rotate the tires.
Old 08-02-24 | 10:27 AM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Bah. lol. No wheel lock has stopped a thief from taking your wheels.
Old 08-02-24 | 10:59 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Simple. Put your phone in another pocket.
well no, my keys are in that pocket
Old 08-02-24 | 11:21 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LH1
It's an odd one for sure. I guess just stealing wheels and tires is a slap on the wrist misdemeanor compared to stealing the whole car.

Do newer Hondas and Toyotas have high quality wheels? I've never walked by a new Camry or Rav4 and said, "Wow! Those wheels are awesome!"

I was aware of newer Tundras getting their catalytic converters chopped off.
They are common cars so they can easily resell the rims to some who needs tires.

As far as wheel looks go it doesn't matter vs extractor sockets
Old 08-02-24 | 02:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I lost the key to the wheel locks on the last Pacifica. Dealer had a big box of different keys and just tried each one until they found the one that worked. Like wheel thieves wouldnt have that box set lol
Old 08-02-24 | 02:40 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SC300Es
Bah. lol. No wheel lock has stopped a thief from taking your wheels.
Exactly, wheel locks are a joke and I haven't used them in years. It was mentioned in a previous thread that all you need is a socket and hammer and the wheel lock is off in one minute.
Old 08-02-24 | 03:38 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I lost the key to the wheel locks on the last Pacifica. Dealer had a big box of different keys and just tried each one until they found the one that worked. Like wheel thieves wouldnt have that box set lol
I've lost multiple wheel lock keys and had to go to the dealer with their master set to remove them each time.
Old 08-02-24 | 04:12 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

the Hyundai dealership I bought my BMW from has a non-option add-on package that includes a bunch of bs like wheel locks. But they didn't put any wheel locks on my car lol. Never been more relieved to find out i was ripped off.
Old 08-02-24 | 04:13 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

I'm glad I had such an easy time buying my last three cars.....the stories are I hear from you guys are nightmarish. I've never paid what they asked and never extra fees, last time I even got them to cover shipping the car to me
Old 08-03-24 | 09:11 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by tex2670
I've lost multiple wheel lock keys and had to go to the dealer with their master set to remove them each time.
I lost my key once. Hammered a socket onto the bolt (I think it was a 21mm) and zipped it off with the gun. took 2 minutes or so per lock, for a rank amateur doing it for the first time. I'm sure a professional would be way faster than me.

Quick Reply: So much for those wheel locks....