Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Two GR Corollas Burned Down. Toyota Won’t Honor the Warranties

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-24, 03:13 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,205 Likes on 1,715 Posts

Y'all are giving Toyota so much cover, it's almost comical if it wasn't scary. If it had been Hyundai, Ford, GM or Tesla, this whole scenario would be different. If this ever happens with my Tesla, my Ioniq 5, or my Polestar where they burn up due to a defective battery, motors or electrical system, doesn't matter if I'm driving 20 mph or 100 mph, if they don't cover it under warranty not only will I sue them, but I will never in my life buy another product from them. If a supposably 300 HP car can't handle 80 or 85 MPH and it causes its motor to burn, than this product doesn't deserve to be sold. Even my daughters 200 HP Chevy Bolt can do sustained 90 MPH speeds with no issues
Old 08-07-24, 03:16 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Only where they are permitted to legally do so.

Here is an example, from my home state of Virginia...although it may vary somnewhat in other states.

https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/...tion38.2-1905/

§ 38.2-1905. Motor vehicle insurer not to charge points or increase premiums in certain instances.

A. No insurer may increase its insured's premium or may charge points under a safe driver insurance plan to its insured as a result of a motor vehicle accident unless the accident was caused either wholly or partially by the named insured, a resident of the same household, or other customary operator.

You and I often disagree, but I'm going to go with you on this one. The GR's engine may have indeed been over-boosted for its size. Some manufacturers are going to absurd lengths to combine high-performance with fuel economy...this could be one of them. I have a small turbo-three in my Encore GX, but it produces about half that much power (155 HP) and seems to run just fine, apart from some occasional low-RPM vibration.
You are bringing up points that have nothing to do with the issue at hand. Insurance should not even be involved if an engine catches fire and burns up the whole car, unless the person crashed it, tuned it, or added parts to it that voids the warranty. Period. It does not appear that this is what these two individuals did according to the article
Old 08-07-24, 03:22 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,020 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Only where they are permitted to legally do so.

Here is an example, from my home state of Virginia...although it may vary somnewhat in other states.

https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/...tion38.2-1905/

§ 38.2-1905. Motor vehicle insurer not to charge points or increase premiums in certain instances.

A. No insurer may increase its insured's premium or may charge points under a safe driver insurance plan to its insured as a result of a motor vehicle accident unless the accident was caused either wholly or partially by the named insured, a resident of the same household, or other customary operator.
In my direct experience they raise rates at will as much as possible without losing clients, if they get caught the punishment is less than the gains from raising rates.
You and I often disagree, but I'm going to go with you on this one. The GR's engine may have indeed been over-boosted for its size. Some manufacturers are going to absurd lengths to combine high-performance with fuel economy...this could be one of them. I have a small turbo-three in my Encore GX, but it produces about half that much power (155 HP) and seems to run just fine, apart from some occasional low-RPM vibration.
I basically agree, but I can forgive Toyota in a low volume performance car except why is it a 3-cylinder? No one buying this car cares much about gas mileage they want power and fun. Just another cost cutting measure at Toyota. For pepole that don't know the Corolla GR engine (G16E) is pushing 26psi boost that is way too much for a tiny block.
Old 08-07-24, 03:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
You are getting into an argument that has nothing to do with the issue at hand. Insurance should not even be involved if an engine catches fire and burns up the whole car, unless the person crashed it, tuned it, or added parts to it that voids the warranty. Period

Yes, it is true that insurance itself was not specifically mentioned in the OP article, but a number of commenters here brought it up, based on what payout/settlement the owner got, and I merely responded to those posts.
Old 08-07-24, 04:23 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,238 Likes on 922 Posts

But muh Toyota reliability that will "show the Germans how a turbo engine is done" can't possibly be a myth!!!!

Meanwhile you have the BMW 4 cyl making 500hp and the GTIs making 400 since the mid 2000s......without blowing up. Heck even the "AMG" 4 making 400 factory doesn't catch your car on fire, worst it does is have the coolant solidify!

The icing on the cake is 85 mph is abuse, that means any car I've ever test driven from Toyota is abused lol! Once again Toyota could have avoided all of this by just taking a B58 and cutting it in half. They have about 1-3 more instances of this happening before they are seen as a Kia adjacent brand but without genesis or anything cool like the Koreans have.
Old 08-07-24, 04:43 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Striker223
But muh Toyota reliability that will "show the Germans how a turbo engine is done" can't possibly be a myth!!!!

Meanwhile you have the BMW 4 cyl making 500hp and the GTIs making 400 since the mid 2000s......without blowing up. Heck even the "AMG" 4 making 400 factory doesn't catch your car on fire, worst it does is have the coolant solidify!

The icing on the cake is 85 mph is abuse, that means any car I've ever test driven from Toyota is abused lol! Once again Toyota could have avoided all of this by just taking a B58 and cutting it in half. They have about 1-3 more instances of this happening before they are seen as a Kia adjacent brand but without genesis or anything cool like the Koreans have.
The legendary Toyota reliability myth is officially up in smoke.... literally it seems
Old 08-07-24, 04:50 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,302 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223

Quite the statement based on that article with 2 examples of GR issues. You maybe should google bmw 4 cyls blowing up or GTIs blowing up... I just did and there are MANY examples of issues and motors popping, you are 100% incorrect.

I see the same anti- Toyota diatribe continuing just here as in a recent thread... OP clearly googled for a similar 2 month old article to post and continue 20 minutes after I closed the last one asking for the trolling to stop...

Guys clearly there are Toyota issues, Lexus issues, etc. There are also issues with other brands and models too. I will remind you that this is a Toyota/Lexus focused community. While absolutely fine to chat about those issues (especially if working to help other members and resolve problems), purposefully going out to look for old articles to create negative threads and especially repetitive posting the same negative comments is problematic as it alienates our core membership.

Anyone think I'm talking about you with the statement above and you don't understand my ask - PM me and let's have a discussion.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 08-07-24 at 04:56 PM.
Old 08-07-24, 04:53 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Y'all are giving Toyota so much cover, it's almost comical if it wasn't scary. If it had been Hyundai, Ford, GM or Tesla, this whole scenario would be different. If this ever happens with my Tesla, my Ioniq 5, or my Polestar where they burn up due to a defective battery, motors or electrical system, doesn't matter if I'm driving 20 mph or 100 mph, if they don't cover it under warranty not only will I sue them, but I will never in my life buy another product from them. If a supposably 300 HP car can't handle 80 or 85 MPH and it causes its motor to burn, than this product doesn't deserve to be sold. Even my daughters 200 HP Chevy Bolt can do sustained 90 MPH speeds with no issues
Agreed 100%.

I know there's going to be some bias in favor of Toyota on a Lexus forum, but some people really seem to hold Toyota up as this entity that can do no wrong, judging negatively the decisions of other automakers for no reason other than it's not what Toyota does.

If a car can't handle 85 or higher, it's not safe for North American roads.
Old 08-07-24, 05:01 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

On the 2 month old article posted, I think Toyota definitely failed in their transparency / disclosure of what their findings are in the one case where he shared the details the dealership provided on the first vehicle issue. I do think that getting damage from debris enough to cause significant front damage could also have resulted in some undetected small penetration issues with intercooler, radiator, etc. that grew into this bigger issue. Don't know if car was modified or tuned further, but if it wasn't sounds like that one should have been covered to me but luckily the fire gave the owner an out with a replacement.

Second one not a lot of details, but how do you not have insurance coverage on your nearly new 2024 vehicle and take it on a long road trip?

Old 08-07-24, 05:03 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Delete please

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-07-24 at 05:06 PM.
Old 08-07-24, 05:04 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
On the 2 month old article posted, I think Toyota definitely failed in their transparency / disclosure of what their findings are in the one case where he shared the details the dealership provided on the first vehicle issue. I do think that getting damage from debris enough to cause significant front damage could also have resulted in some undetected small penetration issues with intercooler, radiator, etc. that grew into this bigger issue. Don't know if car was modified or tuned further, but if it wasn't sounds like that one should have been covered to me but luckily the fire gave the owner an out with a replacement.

Second one not a lot of details, but how do you not have insurance coverage on your nearly new 2024 vehicle and take it on a long road trip?
I just don’t understand how Toyota has responsibility if insurance has already closed the case on one car. The second car without insurance driven on the road I am pretty sure would void the warranty.
Old 08-07-24, 05:04 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Let's not get into another thread of posting other models that blow up and catch fire - you can google and find plenty of them.
Old 08-07-24, 05:05 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Well, I've had my say on the issue, and Dave you've given us a lot of respect and leeway, including our own subforum, so I'm going to respect your ask and move on
Old 08-07-24, 05:07 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
I just don’t understand how Toyota has responsibility if insurance has already closed the case on one car
Don't disagree if the owner has already been made whole by insurance. I think they should have some review of the insufficient rationale and ludicrous commentary about 85mph the dealership who inspected the car gave to the owner. That Toyota dealer & Brand Engagement Center fell well short of what I'd have accepted as a reasonable response.
Old 08-07-24, 05:09 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Don't disagree if the owner has already been made whole by insurance. I think they should have some review of the insufficient rationale and ludicrous commentary about 85mph the dealership who inspected the car gave to the owner. That dealer fell well short.
but Toyota said that the car that was warned about 85MPH was going 114MPH based on Toyota’s black box monitor. And Toyota would not say when and where. Warranty is easily deniable

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-07-24 at 05:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Two GR Corollas Burned Down. Toyota Won’t Honor the Warranties