Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Two GR Corollas Burned Down. Toyota Won’t Honor the Warranties

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-24, 08:10 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Another problem is that this is 0.001% of Toyota warranty claims or vehicles sold. They are not used to it.
Toyota will refuse warranty if they know you tracked GT86 for instance. Or any of their cars. So people hide it.

Legal will not openly say they suspect you modified the vehicle either. So they will use some by the book excuse if they do think you went beyond what they expect. They probably also compare it first with existing claims or TSBs.
Old 08-08-24, 08:59 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 705 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Another problem is that this is 0.001% of Toyota warranty claims or vehicles sold. They are not used to it.
Toyota will refuse warranty if they know you tracked GT86 for instance. Or any of their cars. So people hide it.

Legal will not openly say they suspect you modified the vehicle either. So they will use some by the book excuse if they do think you went beyond what they expect. They probably also compare it first with existing claims or TSBs.
They sell this car as track ready. There is even a circuit edition. They can't wriggle out of warranty because you tracked a GR Corolla.

Built for the track. Ready for every day.

With heart-revving power to all four wheels, GR Corolla redefines your boundaries in the most thrilling way possible.

Old 08-08-24, 09:51 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
but Toyota said that the car that was warned about 85MPH was going 114MPH based on Toyota’s black box monitor. And Toyota would not say when and where. Warranty is easily deniable
The article does not say the first car was going 114 mph at the time of the fire incident. The article states that the vehicle sent a data packet to Toyota indicating that the car traveled at 114 mph and further states that the date and time of when that happened were not disclosed to the owner by Toyota. It doesn’t say whether he accepted the track day included in the purchase. If he did and the 114 mph occurred on that day, it is not an unreasonable speed on a closed circuit. The article is a bit shoddy because a real journalist would pursue these important details, but clicks > facts these days. Toyota is in the wrong here in my opinion and while I like many of their products and the company as a whole, I won’t shield them here.

I am not an attorney. However, I do read contracts before signing any. I don’t believe speeding is grounds to void a warranty and I don’t believe being insured while required by law lets the manufacturer off the hook either.

Last edited by link13; 08-08-24 at 09:54 AM.
Old 08-08-24, 10:40 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
I've been thinking a lot about this thread and I have to take Toyota's side on this.

Reason why is Toyota will need to do a full investigate before taking any blame.

If they are at fault, make it right.
But until it can be determined that the cars were bone stock and it's not user error, they need to reject the warranty claims.
Manufacturers will do anything to deny warranty if they can while owners will do anything they can to try to make the manufacturer pay.

Originally Posted by link13
The article does not say the first car was going 114 mph at the time of the fire incident. The article states that the vehicle sent a data packet to Toyota indicating that the car traveled at 114 mph and further states that the date and time of when that happened were not disclosed to the owner by Toyota. It doesn’t say whether he accepted the track day included in the purchase. If he did and the 114 mph occurred on that day, it is not an unreasonable speed on a closed circuit. The article is a bit shoddy because a real journalist would pursue these important details, but clicks > facts these days. Toyota is in the wrong here in my opinion and while I like many of their products and the company as a whole, I won’t shield them here.

I am not an attorney. However, I do read contracts before signing any. I don’t believe speeding is grounds to void a warranty and I don’t believe being insured while required by law lets the manufacturer off the hook either.
The first case is irrelevant. Insurance wrote off the car.

second car had no insurance. So good luck trying to get a warranty claim as the manufacturer will obviously deny a replacment

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-08-24 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-08-24, 01:00 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 705 Likes on 441 Posts

Some of the posts in this thread are bordering on the insane. Regardless, if a vehicle has a serious design issue, material defect and/or the manufacturer willfully or negligently sold product with such an issue or defect it doesn't make any difference whether the owner had insurance or not. In both cases the liability and requirement to remedy is on the manufacturer. If an insurer happened to pick up the tab in the interim, they are just going to look to subrogate to manufacturer to the greatest extent possible.
Old 08-08-24, 01:08 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
Some of the posts in this thread are bordering on the insane. Regardless, if a vehicle has a serious design issue, material defect and/or the manufacturer willfully or negligently sold product with such an issue or defect it doesn't make any difference whether the owner had insurance or not. In both cases the liability and requirement to remedy is on the manufacturer. If an insurer happened to pick up the tab in the interim, they are just going to look to subrogate to manufacturer to the greatest extent possible.
the first case there is no argument. An insurance appraiser deemed the car was a write off. Warranty cannot apply. End of story!

the second case, unless he paid cash which likely they didn’t. Someone owes money on the car either a bank or Toyota Finance. Seeing that the car burned to the ground on a road while he was driving without insurance…he is responsible as insurance won’t even give him the option to even look at it. Someone owes the money on the car and that is the owner.

There is no defect.
Old 08-08-24, 01:22 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,302 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Let's not get into another thread of posting other models that blow up and catch fire - you can google and find plenty of them.
asking again (posts removed)

Last edited by DaveGS4; 08-08-24 at 01:32 PM.
Old 08-08-24, 03:01 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,239 Likes on 923 Posts

Originally Posted by link13

See that shouldn't be an issue though, I hit 130-150 literally every single time I take one of the A8s out or to work and they never care about speeds like that. A car shouldn't blow up from a little 100+ operation and for crying out loud they advertise it as a track car lol!
Old 08-08-24, 03:03 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,205 Likes on 1,715 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
See that shouldn't be an issue though, I hit 130-150 literally every single time I take one of the A8s out or to work and they never care about speeds like that. A car shouldn't blow up from a little 100+ operation and for crying out loud they advertise it as a track car lol!
Slow down my brother, slow down. You are missing so much at those speeds, and life is just too short 🤣
Old 08-08-24, 03:09 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,239 Likes on 923 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Slow down my brother, slow down. You are missing so much at those speeds, and life is just too short 🤣
Oh it's fine, they are backroads with literally not so much as a driveway for 2 miles so why not take 7 seconds to do a 60-130 lol! I'm not going max speed back there or at night unless I'm in the 12 so I can see deer on thermal haha!

Most of my drive is 65-105, nothing crazy
Old 08-08-24, 03:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

The first case is irrelevant. Insurance wrote off the car.

Thats not what that language means. That language means that any vehicle that is salvaged etc is not covered under the warranty after that happens. The fire here is what caused it to be totaled.

Old 08-09-24, 12:43 AM
Lwerewolf
Racer

Received 257 Likes on 193 Posts

but Toyota said that the car that was warned about 85MPH was going 114MPH based on Toyota’s black box monitor. And Toyota would not say when and where. Warranty is easily deniable
This is the typical highway speed over in the EU - except for a few countries that like to throw you in jail for 10-15 over - and even there sometimes. My '03 1.6 manual corolla's been doing 100mph (avg board speed 95, not kidding) for 2 hours straight at times here - no issues.

This is simply BS from Toyota. Not buying the "they can't make turbo engines" BS (like the is200t hasn't been around for decades), but not buying the "this doesn't deserve warranty cause it wasn't driven by a granny either" (hell, my mother does slightly more than that in her Yaris TS somewhat routinely).
Old 08-09-24, 12:48 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

The GS200t had an absolute dog of an engine. Probably one of the worst engines ever made by Toyota/Lexus, so bad that Lexus killed it before they killed the GS.

The 4-bangers in the NX and RX aren't blowing up like the V35A but they've been similarly criticized for being underpowered, noisy, slow, and not having amazing fuel economy.
Old 08-09-24, 12:55 AM
Lwerewolf
Racer

Received 257 Likes on 193 Posts

Yet it holds up to boost and doesn't spontaneously combust. A more recent example would be the 2.4l turbo (t24a-fts). Point is - they deserve no slack. Not that they'd deserve any if it was their first.
Old 08-09-24, 01:11 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,020 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
The GS200t had an absolute dog of an engine. Probably one of the worst engines ever made by Toyota/Lexus, so bad that Lexus killed it before they killed the GS.
GS200t uses the 8AR-FTS no? This engine is still around.

Quick Reply: Two GR Corollas Burned Down. Toyota Won’t Honor the Warranties